Cliche

Cliche

A Story by Weston R.
"

A cliche of epic proportions!

"

              Cliché

 

            I am an Unlikely Hero. I am the subject/soon-to-be hero of this short story. However, for now, I will be portrayed as a typical high school schmuck who is socially clumsy and has an almost obsessive crush on a popular, gorgeous girl who’s WAY out of my league. I will also introduce the setting in a typical first person format. I will garner some sympathy but also be humorous because I’m an average teen as the author will point out again. Now I’ll just shut up and allow the story to continue.

            I got off the school bus, heading home, but not before tripping and falling on the uneven sidewalk because, you know, I’m an Average Joe. After collecting my things and continuing down the road, my Upbeat Best Friend Who Will Most Likely Die in the Climax approached me. He said to me, “Yo man. You still trying to go out with that perfect in every way Mary-Sue archetype? Man, that’s so funny, I might have to crack a lame joke because I’m quirky and upbeat.”

Me, being the cynical nobody that I am, I said “Go away. I’m in NO mood. Why don’t you go hang out with our Stereotypically Hip Black Friend?” Before he could utter another charmingly stupid wisecrack, I stormed off to my house.

            I quickly said hello to my Conveniently Busy and Neglectful parents before they had to go to work, because all business people never have time for their families or loved ones. I decided to go on Facebook before going up to my room for homework, because, you know, ALL teens have Facebooks. I spent about 5 minutes sadly staring at the object of my affection before going upstairs.

            When I walked into my room and flopped onto my bed, I was humorously and surprisingly greeted by a Wizard or Genie or Some Other Typical Powerful Good Guy that’s Obviously Double-Crossing the Protagonist. I shouted, “Who the F**K are you!” because teens ALWAYS swear.

            He answered, “My name is boring and forgettable, but that’s not why I’m here. A Stereotypical Villain has kidnapped your crush and the great McGuffin!!! I need you to go get it, rescue your crush, defeat the bad guy, and bring back the McGuffin to me.”

            “But I’m just a socially awkward high school student! What good could I do?” I replied.

            “It’s not who you are, it’s what you do,” said the Wizard/Genie.

            I said, “Wow, that was such a played out statement that it has somehow motivated me. One McGuffin, coming up!”

            As I prepared my for my journey to the Evilly Remote Castle, my Upbeat Best Friend found out, and insisted he come with me. I, for some reason, let him. We somehow travel to the Castle, and fight through waves of henchmen until we encounter the extremely underdeveloped Villain. He somehow gains control of the battle before giving a lengthy speech, giving us enough time to defeat him. My friend grabs the McGuffin while I untie the girl, who has now fallen in love with me for saving her.

            Our trio headed back to the Wizard/Genie with the McGuffin. At this point, the plot’s moving very quickly in a rush to finish the story. The Wizard/Genie takes it, then announces dramatically that HE was the Bad Guy the whole time. We all gasp, because, holy s**t, we never saw it coming. The new Bad Guy then killed my Friend. I was COMPLETELY shocked, even though the reader knew that would happen.

            While I’m upset, my feeling of loss reminds me of the Bad Guy’s big weakness! I whistle, summoning a GIANT Deux Ex Machina that swoops down, killing the Villain and protecting the McGuffin. My Girlfriend then started making out with me, leaving the reader with two things: one, the moral that as long as you keep obsessing over your crush, she’ll eventually love you, and two, the feeling that they just died a little on the inside after having read such a clichéd short story.

© 2011 Weston R.


Author's Note

Weston R.
Whaddaya think?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Red
Alright, first of all this is very humorous, but I feel it really had no point what-so-ever. I think that this isn't really a story, but a long joke. This did have me laughing a little, but you used a few things that I think went over some people's head's and probably mine as well. Look, I know I'm not an amazing writer, but I've learned just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. As horrible as this may sound I hope you have something else up your sleave to "wow" readers because I really found this tasteless, although a little funny.

-Red

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A wonderfully written satire indeed. This was a much needed break from the tiring, stereotypical school work that piles up incredulously because all university students are skilled procrastinators. The cliches could not get anymore soul sucking and I have died several times reading this story but luckily it was only the stereotypical, cliche part of myself so now I've become even more original because everyone is unique (just like everyone else in this soul-sucking world).

There is a lot that can be improved upon because it does feel quite immature at times, more so than the intended point (mostly due to grammar). I do agree with Red that this is a really long joke... but I don't agree with the rest, that's the point of satire (especially allegorical satire). Certainly not tasteless if the reader is able to appreciate the ridiculous satire and over-used cliche. It isn't entirely original but it is comical.

My favorite parts were "Upbeat Best Friend Who Will Most Likely Die in the Climax", "my Conveniently Busy and Neglectful parents", "My name is boring and forgettable", and the Deux Ex Machina. Well done, good write, very enjoyable.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Haha, it took me a second to get it then I realized you were making fun of terrible stories. Nicely done:)

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Red
Alright, first of all this is very humorous, but I feel it really had no point what-so-ever. I think that this isn't really a story, but a long joke. This did have me laughing a little, but you used a few things that I think went over some people's head's and probably mine as well. Look, I know I'm not an amazing writer, but I've learned just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. As horrible as this may sound I hope you have something else up your sleave to "wow" readers because I really found this tasteless, although a little funny.

-Red

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love stereotypes. 5 stars

Posted 13 Years Ago


!Great Job!
I think it's a nice story!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Lol! Yup i did die a little on the inside! That was awesome! Everything is said with no hesitation that made it even better! I think its a great story.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

175 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 28, 2010
Last Updated on April 30, 2011

Author

Weston R.
Weston R.

Milwaukee, WI



About
Just another guy that enjoys writing...and that's all I have to say about that. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Drip Drip

A Story by William