A Daydream

A Daydream

A Story by victoria.silv
"

This is for a memoir that I am doing for school. One of the works we had to do was about our future aspirations.

"

A Daydream

Victoria Silverman

 

            As I opened my laptop to write the last entry of my memoir book, I could not think of what to write. What did I want to do with my future? Nothing was coming to mind. My brain was a blank canvas without a painter. I slowly started to tune out of my work and daydream.

            Once the daydream began, I could see flashes and images. Something was becoming clear. It was someone who looked oddly familiar standing outside a gorgeous building. She held a black frame in her hand, but I couldn’t quite make out what it said. As I stepped closer, I could see who she was and what she held. It was me, just graduating from NYU! I had earned one of the things that I want the most, a doctorate. My name was now “Dr. Victoria Silverman, Ph.D.” Then, that started to fade into another scene.

            The next thing that happened, I didn’t see, I heard. It was the jingle of keys. Soon enough, the picture started to become more visible. I was in a familiar place but I couldn’t put my finger on it. I started to turn around, and saw many different images. There were taxis that were as yellow as lemons, and beautiful brownstones on either side of the busy street. On the sidewalk, there were small trees whose lush grassy patches were fenced in. There was a UHAUL parked next to me and just outside the truck was the same person I saw in the last vision. At that moment I realized that I had accomplished something that I have wanted for a long time now, living in New York City. I was on Christopher Street in the heart of Greenwich Village. I could not be any happier.

            That vision began to fade and just as quickly another replaced it. This time, I was inside that apartment on Christopher Street. The future version of me was preparing to leave for work. She slipped on a crisp white lab coat with her name embroidered on it in a fancy but still legible purple font. Next, she fed her cat, whose name I learned was Sherlock. She closed and locked the front door and headed off to work. Afterwards, I stayed and explored the apartment. The walls were mostly white except for the bedroom, which was a rich lavender color. All of the appliances, faucets, and fixtures were stainless steel. In the living room, there was a small television and a coffee table laced with magazines including Scientific American. Near the window, there was a large wooden bookshelf that not only had books, but a record player and several vinyls. Also, a typewriter and a Polaroid camera were stationed on the top shelf.  There were various paintings and photos throughout the room. In the bedroom, the bed had a simple yet pretty quilt. There was a small nightstand and a large wardrobe to match. On the nightstand was an expensive camera. Upon the walls there were pictures of me in all different countries around the world. Also in the bedroom was an array of concert ticket stubs, all in chronological order. There were various other knick-knacks in the room including Rosary Beads and snow globes.

 As I snooped around the small residence, I looked to see if I was married or in a relationship. As far as I could tell, I was not. The future version of me also has made many friends since she was in eighth grade, based on the many photo collages on her walls. I couldn’t tell what she does for a living but I do know that it is in the science field.

“Victoria, how is your essay coming along?” my mom asked. It abruptly awoke me from my daydream. I was forced to escape from the dream world of my future and return to the reality of 2015. I didn’t want to, but I knew that if I started then, I could begin making that “fairytale” future a reality.

 

© 2015 victoria.silv


Author's Note

victoria.silv
Thank you! Please read!!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

110 Views
Added on March 21, 2015
Last Updated on March 21, 2015
Tags: future, daydream, memoir, school, project, english, aspiration, story

Author

victoria.silv
victoria.silv

NJ



About
I'm a young girl who is just emptying her thoughts and works onto this website ^.^ more..

Writing