Heat

Heat

A Chapter by Wendy Seames Garner
"

After spending the day in the water, my entire back was blistered.

"

Thinking about heat, I am transported back in time. Nat King Cole is playing on the radio, “Roll out those, lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer...” I'm lying on my parents bed, waiting for my turn in the only bathroom - with a family of seven, that could be a long wait. I am feeling sick, nauseous from the heat. Dad says I should take salt pills, so I don't sweat out all the water in my body.


I grew up in Michigan during the 50's and 60's. Michigan is the state that looks like your hand. If you look just below the thumb, in the middle, that's where I lived. Surrounded by all that water, Michigan can get pretty hot and humid in the summer. One hundred percent humidity is not uncommon. We usually get a couple of days each summer that are near or above the one hundred degree mark. In winter we go to the other extreme.


We had a big two-story house that was over a century old. That meant no insulation and we didn't have air-conditioning either. My bedroom was on the second floor; the only access to air, through a door that led out onto a balcony. Heat rises; so the upstairs was a virtual oven in the summer. In order to stave off the heat, every morning mom would shut the windows and pull the heavy lined drapes tightly closed. The thought being, this would keep the cool night air in and the hot daytime air out. It wasn't very efficient, but with all the windows opened at night and a couple of box fans in the windows, drawing in the refreshing air, we got by.


Trying to find some relief, and a little sleep, we would sometimes camp out on the living room or dining room floor. The wooden floors felt cool, until they were warmed by your body heat, then you had to move and find another cool spot. I had a sleepover for my eleventh birthday and the living room floor is where we all ended up. We started out the night in a tent in the side yard - the tent filled with stacks of comic books belonging to my brother's friend. When a thunderstorm threatened, we moved inside, and though the temperature dropped, the humidity was oppressing.


Another way my parents tried to escape the heat was to go camping at a nearby campground at least one or two weeks every summer. Dad would leave camp early in the morning, go to his job as a rural mail carrier, and return to the campground in the afternoon. Mom was stuck there alone with five children all day - she had never learned to drive. 


It was cooler there in the shady campground, but we couldn't wait to get to the beach.  Carrying towels, beach toys and a cooler, we all started hiking, thoughts of the icy water drawing us onward. Upon arriving at the beach, we found that the sun reflecting off the sand just made it all the hotter. Tiptoeing into the freezing water, we debated whether to dive right in or wait until we were accustomed to the temperature.  Pretending to be a mermaid, I languished the day away - not coming out of the water for anything. There would be a price to pay for this; my skin, being fair, it burned easily. 


These were the days before sunblock. We had tanning lotion - the kind advertised by the little tan girl with her diaper being pulled down by the dog, revealing the white skin underneath - but it did little for my fair skin. Besides, I wouldn't get out of the water to eat, I sure as heck wasn't going to bother getting out to put on tanning lotion. After spending the day in the water, my entire back was blistered. Have you ever tried sleeping on the ground in an old army sleeping bag with a blistered back? Although the night was cool, my back was on fire!


We may not have had air-conditioning in our house or car, but the movie theater did! Every Friday night, after receiving my allowance, I would walk the couple of blocks downtown with a friend. Handing over my thirty-five cents - 50 cents when I got older - I was able to enjoy a couple hours of cool bliss. I can't even recall all the movies I watched, but I do remember seeing Gone With the Wind, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, Romeo and Juliet, and I saw Elvis, in Viva Las Vegas, twice.


We spent a lot of summer days at the park where, although it was still hot, we could cool off by sitting on the bridge and dangling our feet in the rushing water of the river. There was a huge willow tree at the park, with branches just perfect for perching in. My friend, Ruth, and I spent a lot of time in that tree, giggling and whispering secrets. No trip to the park was complete without a trip to the ice cream parlor up on top of the hill. I usually bought a strawberry ice cream cone, the icy-cold cone melting quickly into a sticky mess that dripped down my chin and arms. One trip on the merry-go-round and up that cone would come, it happened every time.


Back then, everyone had their milk delivered to their doors by the milkman. He drove around in a truck, the milk being cooled by chunks of ice. In the summer we would follow him around, begging for ice. Being a nice guy, he would toss the ice to the ground. We ran to pick it up and suck on it. People now will cringe at the idea of all those germs, but here I am today - still alive.


Yes, my childhood years were unbearably hot. Summers just don't seem so hot to me now; we have air-conditioned homes, cars, stores and workplaces - most of us anyway. So when I think of heat, I think of summers, growing up in Michigan during the 50's and 60's.



© 2017 Wendy Seames Garner


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I remember everything you've said...I remember heat like a blanket...like a wall you could almost lean against. I also remember Andy Williams singing about those "lazy, crazy days of summer", though I suppose Nat King Cole did it too. My husband once said he wouldn't every live in a house without airconditoning. I reminded him that we had both grown up without it, and he explained that "It wasn't as hot back then."

Posted 11 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I am sure I would have melted away, I can just about stand 70, anything over that makes me feel ill, here in England we are now having very strange weather patterns, we used to be sure of our seasons, spring summer autumn winter, I blame
it on all the countries guilty of air pollution, selfish, I am all right Jack types! I enjoyed reading your story, about Heat, like I have said 70 is just right for me, I hope you are keeping well regards Moonbeam:)).

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wendy Seames Garner

11 Years Ago

Thanks so much for your review, Moonbeam. I think the whole world is seeing strange weather pattern.. read more
moonbeam40

11 Years Ago

thankyou Wendy:))Moonbeam.
I really enjoyed reading this peak into your childhood. As you described it, it was very very hot but you and your family were able to cope with it in what seemed like really fun ways. A delightful read.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wendy Seames Garner

11 Years Ago

Thanks so much for you comments, Aurora. I'm so glad you enjoyed my story!
I found reading about your memories of the heat very interesting. It's a time that I didn't experience. Where I grew up it gets hot but its a dry heat and I didn't find it too bad to deal with as a child, even without air conditioning which existed then but we didn't have and I still don't find it hard to deal with today, we have air conditioning now, A totally different part of the country and time too. Excellent storytelling!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wendy Seames Garner

11 Years Ago

Thank you, Black Cat Fever! Lucky you, that you didn't have to suffer every summer in the heat. Th.. read more
Black Cat Fever

11 Years Ago

You're welcome. Dry heat is much easier to take than high humidity.
Your writing is so clear and descriptive! I started sweating and was tempted to go outside and hose off. Your story prompted some of my similar memories; placing a watermelon in a bubbling creek to cool it off, running through the sprinkler on the lawn, making icecream. Precious memories.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wendy Seames Garner

11 Years Ago

Sorry I made you hot, but happy I was able to coax out some of your own happy memories! Thanks for .. read more
So when I think of hear, I think of summers, growing up in Michigan during the 50's and 60's.-----heat

great story. I remember being in kentucky with my moms friends when I was little and getting 2nd degree burns on my arms because of it. It was a crazy summer lol but great story.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You have this clear lovely style of writing that draws the reader in. Summers so hot I can hardly imagine . Lovely write Wendy.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wendy Seames Garner

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Moon, for the compliment!
Ah, being young and so alive, so new to everything! And the fifties, well, they were sublime. We're of the same era, Wendy, and even I lived in a little southern state, all that you speak of is familiar. And air conditioning? Like you, we had none, and if you could sleep next to an open window or have a fan blowing, that was as good as it got. One thing was different, though. Up to the age of eleven, I paid ten cents to get in the movie, and then it soared to a quarter. An excellent, very enjoyable write.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What wonderful memories! That heat though and the ways you got around it, staying in the water.. going to the movie theater .. all tricks to use in such terrible heat.. don't know how you survived it. But behind all the comings and goings of thost hot summers is your wonderful use of words, sharply used words, great vocabulary and a way of inviting readers to share your past.

The following is a great piece of descriptive writing ..' We spent a lot of summer days at the park where, although it was still hot, we could cool off by sitting on the bridge and dangling our feet in the rushing water of the river. There was a huge willow tree at the park, with branches just perfect for perching in. My friend, Ruth, and I spent a lot of time in that tree, giggling and whispering secrets. No trip to the park was complete without a trip to the ice cream parlor up on top of the hill. I usually bought a strawberry ice cream cone, the icy-cold cone melting quickly into a sticky mess that dripped down my chin and arms. One trip on the merry-go-round and up that cone would come, it happened every time.'

25/10/2017 Came to read this wonderful story again, taken into another world, a very real one.. Thank you for sharing your chilchood life.. and its meaning.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
AK
Wow! That was amazing! Brilliant story:)) I guess I've said this before, but I absolutely adore your writing style! It sounds so warm and friendly. Keep writing!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pax
i remember the old days without air condition just electric fan..our country doesnt have winter so its a typical tropical climate just rainy and summer season we have. summer is very hot but not like here in saudi that it will go up till 50 deg. very hot, but then we survive the hot climate even though my pillow end up drench in sweat when i wake up. Now that im in saudi, and i never imagine how hot the summer is here just the way you write it, without air condition we will never manage to sleep at night..now our AC is not so good(not working properly coz its really old) so i still feel the hot weather here and sometime is really hard to sleep at nigh...
great story i enjoyed reading this

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1289 Views
22 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on July 6, 2012
Last Updated on October 28, 2017
Tags: copyright WSG, heat, fifties, sixties, summer, park, milk man, camping, Michigan


Author

Wendy Seames Garner
Wendy Seames Garner

Lapeer, MI



About
I believe that every person we meet, every thing we touch has a story. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Mercy Mercy

A Story by Coyote Poetry