A Visit To The North Pole

A Visit To The North Pole

A Chapter by Wendy Seames Garner
"

Everything glistened with snow and ice. The little houses put me in mind of gingerbread houses, but the manor house made my mouth drop in awe.

"


I was enjoying the fresh, fluffy snow. I turned my head, and saw a big arrow that said, “North Pole.” I hadn't seen the sign before and decided to investigate.


A light snow was falling. The world had been transformed into a virtual fairy-land of ice and snow. I walked for several minutes without finding the fabled North Pole. The snow on either side of the path was getting deeper. There was an eerie quiet in the air. I was about to turn back when I came upon another sign reading “North Pole Just Ahead.” I was of a mind to turn around, but something drew me on. Ahead of me, the path wound through a grove of pine trees, I couldn't see what was on the other side.

After walking another 15 minutes or so, I rounded a large blue spruce and stopped in my tracks...there ahead of me was the North Pole. A large sign atop a peppermint striped pole pronounced it so. The size and beauty of it took my breath away. There were large factories like buildings, barns, stables, hundreds of little houses, and a grand manor house. Everything glistened with snow and ice. The little houses put me in mind of gingerbread houses, but the manor house made my mouth drop in awe.


The manor house had onion-domed turrets in colors of red and green. Beautiful stained-glass windows graced the stone exterior. Depictions of reindeer and elves frolicked on the colorful windows, as well as illustrations of Santa and his sleigh. The huge oaken door was adorned with a brass knocker in the shape of a holly sprig.


I didn't see anyone about, no busy elves or prancing reindeer. The quiet was unnerving, the only sound my own feet shuffling through the snow. I looked into some of the windows of the little gingerbread houses as I passed by. Elfin-sized furniture filled the cozy little homes. I approached the manor house, raised my hand, grabbed hold of the massive brass knocker, and lowered it.


Boom, boom, boom...


The next thing I knew, I was in my bed. Dawn was just breaking in the eastern sky, bright orange colors peaking up over the horizon. It was Christmas morning. The North Pole, nothing but a dream. It had all seemed so real!


“Get up lazy, it's Christmas morning!” my brother called.



© 2017 Wendy Seames Garner


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

*clapping* this was cute.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wendy Seames Garner

6 Years Ago

Glad you enjoyed it, Diane!
What a sweet dream! I remember thoughts like this as a child. You paint the perfect image of the North Pole with the words! Thank you (((hugs)))

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wendy Seames Garner

6 Years Ago

Thank you, Karen, so glad you enjoyed it.
This is a cute story, Wendy. :) I was hoping to see you meeting elves, or going to a party in that magnificent manor house. Your descriptions are delightful!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wendy Seames Garner

6 Years Ago

Thanks, Debbie. I really didn't have time to write more, maybe sometime in the future.
Debbie Barry

6 Years Ago

No, it's good. I know how busy you've been, and I'm impressed with how much writing you're doing.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
A nice short story.....

I think every child has a dream of the events you have described in this piece. The magic of Christmas allows the youthful mind to wonder and imagine.

A very apt theme for the current season. Nice work.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wendy Seames Garner

6 Years Ago

Thank you for the kind words, Doodley.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

296 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 13, 2017
Last Updated on December 13, 2017


Author

Wendy Seames Garner
Wendy Seames Garner

Lapeer, MI



About
I believe that every person we meet, every thing we touch has a story. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..