The Elf Arrives

The Elf Arrives

A Chapter by Wendy Seames Garner
"

What had I done to get on Santa's “Naughty List” I wondered.

"


The first Saturday in December is traditionally tree trimming day in our family. This year a couple of the grandkids were helping. My grandson, Mathew, retrieved the boxes of ornaments from the closet under the basement stairs. The tree was in the laundry room, my husband, Gary, was dispatched to get it. I was baking chocolate chip cookies and heating hot cocoa.


Mathew had decided to use the polar animal-themed decorations this year.  He, his sister, Hope, and their father were opening packages from the bigger box and hanging the ornaments on the tree. Polar bears, penguins, reindeer, snowflakes, and icicles dripped from the boughs of the small tree, along with a couple of silver balls and bells. Gary was taking pictures of the progress when the mailman's truck pulled into the driveway.


“We must have a package,” Gary noted, “Were you expecting something?”


“Nothing that I can think of,” I replied.


The mailman handed Gary a small package, along with a couple of bills and a Christmas card. I set them aside to go through later, but Hope was curious about the package, so I decided to open it.


“Huh...the return address is The North Pole!” I was a bit suspicious of that.


I cut open the package with a knife and out popped a little blue elf!


“Greetings, my name is George,” he introduced himself with a little bow.


I was flabbergasted, unable to speak.


“Hi, George,” Hope answered back, “I'm Hope!”


She moved toward George and was about to pick him up when he yelled.


“Oh no, you mustn't pick me up, or even touch me, or Santa's magic will be broken and I will get sent back to the North Pole!” he warned.


You could tell Hope was disappointed by this, she was looking forward to a new playmate.


“What are you doing here George?” I asked.


“Santa has sent me to keep an eye on Hope and report back to him on whether she belongs on the 'Good List' or the 'Naughty List'.”


“Oh...this could get interesting,” I remarked.


Hope looked a little taken aback.


“I'm on the 'Good List', George,” she assured him.


“Are you sure about that, Hope, don't lie,” countered Mathew.


“Dad...Mathew is being mean,” Hope complained, near tears.


“George will see for himself if you are good or not,” their father warned.


George then jumped off the dining room table and swung from the chandelier as if it were a jungle gym. If he kept it up, the chandelier would be in danger of coming down! From there he hopped over to the Advent Calendar and starting eating candy, dropping the wrappers on the floor. I was starting to wonder if maybe I would have to keep an eye on George and report him to Santa as needing to go on the “Naughty Elf List”.


We finished trimming the tree, George pointing out where the bare spots were. Pictures of the grandchildren from Christmas' past graced the piano top along with candles of red and white. Polar bears frolicked among them.


Soon the glass snowflake cookie plate was empty, except for a few crumbs that George was trying to eat. The hot chocolate just a memory, but for the chocolate mustache Hope wore. I cleaned up the kitchen as the others sat down to watch “A Charlie Brown Christmas”.


I had just settled into my chair when I heard a popping sound. George was making popcorn! Not that I really minded, he was just trying to be helpful, but he really could have asked first. He hauled the bag of popcorn out of the microwave and proceeded to pull it open, only to start screaming that it was hot, dropping popcorn all over the floor.


So much for watching the movie. I got back up to clean the kitchen again. The movie finished and it was bedtime for Hope. I wondered where George was going to sleep, I needn't have worried. When I went to sit in my chair to read for a bit, I found George curled up, sound asleep. I decided to go to bed, too.


It seemed like I had just fallen asleep when I heard noise coming from the kitchen. I couldn't figure out what I was hearing, but it was accompanied by giggles. I got out of bed, put on my slippers, and limped to the kitchen where I turned on the light. The kitchen looked like a miniature ski resort. George was shushing down a flour mountainside on a pair of makeshift spoon skis.  


Not only had George woken me from a sound sleep, but I now had to clean the kitchen again. I wanted to throttle him but stopped when I remembered his admonition that I mustn't touch him.


“Go to bed, George and do not, I repeat do not get back up!”


I cleaned up the kitchen, and overcome with exhaustion, went back to the comfort of my bed. I was just about to climb in when I saw that my bed was already occupied...by George. Well, I had told him to go to bed and not get back up. So off I trudged to my recliner, where I dozed fitfully until I was rudely awoken by the blaring of the TV. You guessed it, George wanted to watch morning cartoons.

Hope heard all the ruckus and got up, too. She and George watched cartoons together, George stopping to raid the refrigerator, making a big dent in the pie that was supposed to be for today's supper.


“Grandma, I was going to move the mouse on the Advent Calendar, but there isn't any candy in any of the pockets.” Hope informed me.


Let me guess, who could have done that? I got a piece of candy from the cupboard, careful to be sure George didn't see where it was hidden and gave it to Hope. Then I went to clean up the candy wrappers from the floor.


Hope was laughing and I turned around just in time to see George leap from the dining room chandelier to the birdcage hanging from the ceiling in front of the window. He climbed inside and started swinging from the perch.


I went into the bathroom, hoping for a little solitude, and found the toilet paper was now garlanded everywhere. I was pretty sure Hope hadn't done it, she was being an Angel. Charlie, on the other hand, was more like the spawn of the devil. I was beginning to think Santa just wanted a reprieve from him. What had I done to get on Santa's “Naughty List” I wondered.


Somehow, I managed to make supper without too much interruption from George. Everyone was seated around the table, except for George, who was seated on the table nibbling on several of the corn muffins in the basket. I placed the steaming casserole in the center of the table.


“Shepherd's Pie, my favorite!” Mathew cried.


“Yuck, it has vegetables in it,” George complained.


“Just try it, you might like it,” I coaxed.


“No!” George pouted.


“Then I guess you'll go hungry, won't you,” I warned.


We were just finishing up when Mathew asked what was for dessert.


“Well, I have a chocolate cream pie, but I'm not sure there is enough left for everyone. A little somebody helped himself to it for breakfast.”


All eyes turned accusingly at George. I cleaned up the kitchen, hoping it would be for the last time tonight. Brian and his kids prepared to leave, giving hugs and kisses. Opening the door to leave, I stopped them.


“Don't forget to take George with you!” I reminded.


“Oh no, I'm staying here,” George assured me.


“How can you keep an eye on Hope if you are here?” I asked becoming anxious.


“I have a cousin, Charlie, who will watch her at her house. I'll stay here, with you, for when she comes to visit,” George happily informed me.


“Nooo!” I screamed, grabbing George.


Poof! George disappeared just like magic and I was never happier.











© 2017 Wendy Seames Garner


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
AK
I love this piece! The impishness of the elf is well portrayed and it is interesting how the elf affects not just Hope but the narrator as well. Great piece!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wendy Seames Garner

6 Years Ago

Thank you, AK, it was fun to write.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

96 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 13, 2017
Last Updated on December 13, 2017


Author

Wendy Seames Garner
Wendy Seames Garner

Lapeer, MI



About
I believe that every person we meet, every thing we touch has a story. more..

Writing