Zebra Kill

Zebra Kill

A Chapter by Wendy Seames Garner
"

The lionesses stalk and kill zebras, dragging them back to the Pride area to be eaten in turns. An argument between the cubs ensues as the adults lay napping.

"

The new day had yet to dawn as Atich's blond body crouched, nearly invisible, in the tall grass of the Serengeti. She was upwind of a herd of zebra, their black and white stripes making them almost invisible in the night sky. She was waiting for a young zebra to wander off from the herd. Ah, there you are, just a little bit closer. Her large yellow eyes followed, unblinking. She tensed her muscular, 280 pound body. Her tail end swayed slightly, and she leaped. One sweep of her powerful right front paw and the zebra was dead, it's back broken.


The appearance of the lioness and the other members of her Pride caused the other zebras to bolt in fear, but not before two of the other lionesses brought down their prey. There would be plenty to eat for all.


The lionesses dragged their kill back to the Pride area, where the two adult males moved in to get their portions. Males couldn't  hunt, the bulkiness of their manes, causing them to overheat when running, and the dark colors of their manes didn't camouflage well.


The lionesses were next to eat, their cubs moving in as they finished up. Atich stood back to allow her young twins, Apio and Adongo, a chance to eat. Two older, nearly full-grown cubs, pushed the twins out of their way; the male, Gebhuza, knocking down Apio with a swipe of his paw, while the female, Awuor, gobbled down all the choicest parts.


“Quit being so rough with the young ones, Gebhuza...Awuor, don't be so greedy.” Atich growled.


Ignoring her, they continued to gorge themselves until sated. Atich shook her head as they walked away. What will become of the Pride when those two are full-grown? She watched the twins as they filled their tiny bellies. As they walked away from the carcass, hyenas, who had been waiting on the sidelines, moved in to scavenge what was left. Before the day was done, bones would be the only evidence left of the kill.


The Pride lazily ambled over to the shade of a lone Umberella tree and curled up. They napped during the intense heat of the day. Azubuike, the king, and the other full grown male, Bhekizitha, perched themselves up on a Kopjes, or rock outcropping. From there, they could keep a watchful eye on the pride.


The twins were restless. Pretending to be great hunters, they imitated the actions of the lioness as they hunted. Stalking their mother, Atich, they pounced at her tail, and swatted it. She gently tapped her cubs with the soft pads of her paw in warning. Prancing off, they hid in the grass, their brown rosettes or spots effectively camouflaging them. They spied on the adult males, who appeared to be sleeping.


“Someday I will mate with a ferocious warrior,” Adongo said.


“Well, my mate will be the King of all Lions,” Apio bragged.


“Talking about me again, Apio?” Mermes commented.


The twins looked up, admiring the handsome, 400 pound, light buff colored male lion. He was older than they were, almost old enough for his own pride. His brown mane had almost fully grown in. Someday soon, he would challenge their father, Azubuike, for the title of King.


Mermes' own father, Nkosana, had once been King of the Pride. A year ago, three males tried to steal the Pride's lionesses away. If they had succeeded, they would have killed all the cubs, so the lionesses would be ready to breed with them sooner. Nkosana died defending the pride, but not before killing the challengers with the help of his second in command, Azubuike. After Nkosana died, Azubuike became King.


“With me as your mate, Mermes, you won't need any other lionesses.” purred Nubia, a beautiful golden furred young lioness. “I am a good hunter and can provide all the food you and our numerous cubs would ever need.”


Mermes stood transfixed by Nubia's beauty as she lazily groomed herself, one hind paw extended.


The sounds of hissing and growling pulled Mermes out of his trance. Three males, about his age, had another smaller male surrounded. They were taunting him, taking turns swatting at him with their powerful claws extended. It was poor Bejune, and he was bleeding.


“You will never have a Pride of your own,” they taunted, “You are nothing, but a puny weakling.”


“Three against one is a coward's way to fight,” growled Mermes, as he approached.


Dwanh and Gwala slunk away, but Nkosana turned to face Mermes. His ears laid back, tail flicking back and forth, he hissed at Mermes.


“Always butting in where you aren't wanted. Someday I'm going to teach you a lesson.”


“The only way you could do that would be if you sneack up on me, but that won't happen either, I would smell the stink of your fear.”


“Settle down and go to sleep, cubs.  Do I need to come over there?” Azubuike growled, angry at being disturbed.


With a snarl, the two males separated and trotted off to find a comfortable spot to sleep, leaving poor Bujune to lick his wounds.




© 2012 Wendy Seames Garner


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Smooth and informative, tale-like yet as if telling how things are in a Pride plus a great atmosphere created, ' .. to the shade of a lone Umberella tree and curled up. They napped during the intense heat of the day. Azubuike, the king, and the other full grown male, Bhekizitha, perched themselves up on a Kopjes, or rock outcropping.. ' You've done some fine research or perhaps know the details through first hand experience.. whichever, your knowledge certainly holds credence.

Looking forward to reading more!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A great write!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love stories from an animal's point of view. Just read "A Dog's Purpose" for example. Anyway, good writing.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Smooth and informative, tale-like yet as if telling how things are in a Pride plus a great atmosphere created, ' .. to the shade of a lone Umberella tree and curled up. They napped during the intense heat of the day. Azubuike, the king, and the other full grown male, Bhekizitha, perched themselves up on a Kopjes, or rock outcropping.. ' You've done some fine research or perhaps know the details through first hand experience.. whichever, your knowledge certainly holds credence.

Looking forward to reading more!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Motivations - assigning human-like qualities does build the story and it's tension. Keeping continuity and the detail straight will prove interesting.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

An appealing concept, and one that should be received well by many. Some parts, ie, feeding and mating, might be unsuitable for very small children, but perhaps they're not your intended audience. I spotted a few small errors, but nothing too serious.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

you picked some fabulous names, and brought this family to life so realistically, very professional, enjoyable and entertaining. Great stuff. Thanks Wendy.

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
. thanks to my nephew, i've seen "the lion king" a million times ... i feel there are many lessons to be learnt from lions and lionesses ... the way you've personified them and characterized them is wonderful ... by the time i reached the middle of this chapter ... it seemed like they are people ... the episodes you've narrated are interesting too ... after i finished reading this chapter, i went to the previous chapter and was surprised to read the fascinating meanings of the names ... good luck with this book ...

Posted 12 Years Ago


One strange thing about lions the females do the hunting thats a male dream come true I think Seems the males just fight each other every once in a while

Posted 12 Years Ago


Ooooh, very interesting! I felt like I was on the plains of Africa reading this. Love your dialogue and the characterizations you give the lions/lionesses.

Only found one typo (lionesses where next) and was slightly confused by the syntax "It was poor Bejune, and he bleeding" (did you mean he was bleeding?)

Lovely job though, can't wait to see where this goes!

Posted 12 Years Ago


You've written a powerful, imaginative story here. I so enjoy reading your style, good word usage, and vivid descriptions. I love your imagination.
Jocelynwonders

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

879 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 29, 2012
Last Updated on April 4, 2012
Tags: copyright WSG, lion, lioness, cub, pride, Africa, Serengeti, fight, kill, zebras


Author

Wendy Seames Garner
Wendy Seames Garner

Lapeer, MI



About
I believe that every person we meet, every thing we touch has a story. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Gasoline Gasoline

A Poem by Muse