Prologue - The Secretary

Prologue - The Secretary

A Chapter by Wendy Seames Garner
"

The voices start a week after Deanna is in an accident. Was she going crazy?

"
August 18, 2008
Deanna


It started a week after the accident.


Giving her head a shake, her long auburn hair fell forward, “What did you say, April?” Deanna Sheldon's green eyes looked over at her co-worker.


April looked up, “I didn't say anything.”


And that is how it started, as whispers Deanna couldn't quite understand.


The whispers didn't quit--in fact they got louder and started coming more often. This must be the result of hitting my head, she thought. Deanna made an appointment with her doctor. Extensive tests found nothing. Dr. Connor told her to wait a few more weeks to see if it would go away on it's own.


She played either the radio or the TV non-stop, it was the only thing she could do to block out the voices. She didn't sleep well, and consequently was missing more and more days of work. If this doesn't stop soon, I'll lose my job she thought.


Friends, Susan and Emily, talked her into going out to a bar one night. The loud music did drown out the voices a bit. Deanna got smashed. In the morning, not only did she have a terrible hangover but the voices were still there, louder than ever. The voices were talking to her now--they called her by name. I am going crazy, she thought.


Deanna went back to see Dr. Connor. He gave her a prescription to calm her nerves and ran a few more tests. Then shaking his head, and patting her hand, he told her he had run out of ideas and sent her to a specialist. The specialist ran more tests, which all turned up negative. Finally, he referred her to a psychiatrist.


She went once a week to see the psychiatrist, Dr. Lebonow. After several weeks, she had recited her life's story, talking loudly so she could hear herself above the voices. The new medication he put her on allowed her to sleep, but not much else. She couldn't work, the medication made her too lethargic. Deanna had lost twenty pounds, friends and her job. But the voices were still there!


The end of Deanna's unemployment compensation nearing, she knew she had to do something. She quit seeing Dr. Lebonow, and went off her medication.


One night, as the voices were particularity persistent, she screamed out, “Enough, please quit talking to me, I can't stand it anymore!” And the voices were silent...


A minute or two later, a voice hesitantly said, “I'm sorry, I just wanted you to give a message to my husband.”


Another voice chimed in, “We didn't know we were upsetting you. We just wanted to be heard...hoped you would tell our loved ones that me miss them.”


“Who are you?” Deanna whispered.


Several voices started in at once.


“Whoa, one at a time!” Deanna said.


“My name is Cindy Smith, I lived over on Main Street. Could you tell my husband I love him and miss him?”


“Why don't you tell him yourself?”


“Because he can't hear me,” Cindy answered.


“Why can't he hear you?”


“Don't you know?”


“No...” Deanna whispered back, afraid to hear the answer.


“We're dead.”


“Why is it I can hear you?”


“We don't know why, we just know you can. Will you help us?”


"Give me a minute to think, this is mind blowing."


Deanna took a few minutes to think about the situation.  The silence was unbelievable. Could the answer really be this easy? 


“I'll help on one condition. Don't all of you talk to me at once. You must allow me to sleep, work, and eat in privacy. I'll talk to you from 7:00 pm until 8:00 pm on weeknights, but I get the weekends off. Can you do that?”


Several voices chimed in “Yes!” while several others made complaints that it wasn't enough time.


“Take it or leave it. Otherwise, I'm going to kill myself and then you'll be out of luck.” Deanna threatened.


“OK, Cindy, you're first.”


So that is how Deanna Sheldon became a secretary to the dead.  Taking dictation every week night from 7:00 until 8:00, she delivered the messages on her way home from her day job or on weekends if necessary.  The pay wasn't good but the benefits were heaven sent.



© 2012 Wendy Seames Garner


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Loved the beginning, very vivid! You lose momentum at the end--I have the same problem with my manuscript, it just suddenly becomes flaccid, like it falls limp in your hands like a sad balloon--or, er. You know. Anyway, I have that same problem, so i would recommend either maybe amping the tension, or maintaining the same vivacity of details, or just shifting different techniques. I also noted a definite "made for the internet" vibe from this, when reading just from the beginning I can tell you have a polished grace about you that you could really put forth in your writing. So be square, honky!

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Some how I think I missed this one Wendy. I really like how the story is going.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wendy Seames Garner

6 Years Ago

I haven't read it in years, guess I need to re-read it, which will lead to more editing. It's an en.. read more
I like it!! It starts off strong, and looses a little momentum, but quickly picks up again. I like the concept, and look forward to reading more!

If you're looking for a little constructive criticism though, I would say you are trying to go too quickly. The story would be much richer if you slowed it down, and put more details into it. Perhaps it could start out with Deanna in a therapist's office, explaining her problem, that way you have nearly an entire chapter to build up to it, and provide a lot of details to help the readers connect with the character. We have to be able to connect with Deanna and feel for her character, or we won't really care that she lost her job, or her friends. Am I making sense?...but overall, nice job!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Loved the beginning, very vivid! You lose momentum at the end--I have the same problem with my manuscript, it just suddenly becomes flaccid, like it falls limp in your hands like a sad balloon--or, er. You know. Anyway, I have that same problem, so i would recommend either maybe amping the tension, or maintaining the same vivacity of details, or just shifting different techniques. I also noted a definite "made for the internet" vibe from this, when reading just from the beginning I can tell you have a polished grace about you that you could really put forth in your writing. So be square, honky!

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I like it! Very, very clever and an interesting concept. I can't wait to read more.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wendy Seames Garner

11 Years Ago

Thanks so much, Natalie, I hope you enjoy the rest!
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pax
haha, different viewpoint, i liked it. its refreshing idea.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love this! Please say there is more of this. This is already such a provacative story concept. I would buy this book and I am sure many more would.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Brilliant! Deanna finally gets to the bottom of the voices, such a relief in a way, but huge responsiblity in another, but she handles this so well, I love her strength, and the way she handles this. You need to finish this book Wendy I would denifintely buy this and could for see it being a best seller.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

599 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 17, 2012
Last Updated on May 15, 2012
Tags: copyright WSG, psychic, death, voices


Author

Wendy Seames Garner
Wendy Seames Garner

Lapeer, MI



About
I believe that every person we meet, every thing we touch has a story. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..