A Walk on the Beach

A Walk on the Beach

A Chapter by Wendy Seames Garner
"

A walk along the beach, trying to understand.

"

The setting sun cast shadows upon the lake, shadows that echoed her mood. She couldn't understand why he was leaving. She wanted so badly for him to stay, it had been planned that he would. Didn't he love her...want to be with her? She walked along the beach away from her family, she didn't want them to see her turmoil. Though she tried to stop them, tears escaped, traveling silently down her face.


Did he want to break their engagement? Was he looking for a way out? She waded into the water, ankle deep, feet sinking into the cool sand. She felt mired down in questions, sinking deeper and deeper with every step.


She continued walking, the pleasant fishy smell of the lake all around her. The rhythmic sound of the waves, as they lapped against the shore, worked to sooth her aching heart. Just then, the last rays of the sun seemed to come rushing towards her. Somehow, it brought her hope. Hope that he still loved her, that he was just confused.



© 2017 Wendy Seames Garner


Author's Note

Wendy Seames Garner
Gary and I had just gotten engaged, when his unmarried sister had a baby. In 1969 there was quite a stigma attached to this. Their whole family was in turmoil. Although he had planned to stay the weekend with me and my family at Caseville, on the coast of Michigan's thumb, he only stayed for a few hours, then left.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

That had to be disappointing to his family, but a baby is always wonderful, no matter what.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Vivid and amazing, Wendy you are my idol, darling. Keep up the good work :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very sweet and well written. I love the mystery behind this piece, and the description is easy-flowing and textured. Really, really good.

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

i can feel the evening breeze as i read this piece. this speaker does good work bringing me to the shoreline with her, assuring me that the breeze is soothing even if the sentiment begins in angst. nice work.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

315 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 17, 2012
Last Updated on November 23, 2017
Tags: copyright WSG, beach, engagement, break-up, confused, tears lake, sunset.waves, sand


Author

Wendy Seames Garner
Wendy Seames Garner

Lapeer, MI



About
I believe that every person we meet, every thing we touch has a story. more..

Writing