Nick

Nick

A Chapter by Wendy Seames Garner
"

Nick travels from Texas to Michigan in search of his soul mate.

"

Nick

January 23, 2011


“You need to move to Michigan, Nick,” they said.

“Why would I want to move to Michigan, I love it here in Texas. I'd freeze my butt off in Michigan.”

“Your soul mate lives there.”

“How do you know that?”

“We've talked with her. She has been so helpful to us.”

“Helpful?”

“She's a psychic, too, Nick,” they said, “You need to meet her.”

“Yeah, and she's my soul mate?”

“Oh yes, the yang to your yin, together, you form a whole.”

“I suppose she has a real nice personality.”

“Yes, sweet, quiet, a bit naive, and so lonesome, she has no one.”

“And she has buck teeth, and her eyes cross...”

“Oh no, her teeth are fine, and her eyes don't cross - just a bit far sighted. She has green eyes in fact, and auburn hair. She is five foot, four inches tall, and she weighs...”

“No, Henry, we mustn't tell her weight, that is a lady's secret.”

“Guess that means she is about 300 pounds.”

“No where near that, Nick!”

“I really don't think...”

“Don't say no now, think about it. You and she would be perfect together! Trust us, we know these things.”


They let Nick think about it for a week, before they mentioned her again.

“Her name is Deanna Sheldon.”

“Whose name is Deanna Sheldon?”

“Your soul mate.”

“No, we are not talking about that again. No way I am moving to Ohio.”

“Not Ohio " Michigan!”

“Yeah, whatever, drop it.”

“You have no family here, Nick, there is nothing to hold you in Texas. You need to meet her, Nick.”

“Maybe in another lifetime.”

“No, this lifetime, Nick, she is perfect for you. You two would be so happy together. You could help each other in your work with us.”

“I am not moving hundreds of miles away, just to meet someone who may, or may not, be my soul mate.”

“But you have to, Nick, you are meant for each other!”

“Drop it guys.”


So they dropped it for a time, only to bring it up again a month later.

“Her parents died when she twenty-eight. Her mother from cancer, her father shortly after- wards of a broken heart.  She had a brother, but he died in a car accident when he was seventeen.”

“OK, what message do they want me to deliver to her?” Nick asked.

“That you are her soul mate.”

“Not the soul mate stuff again!”

“She is so lonesome, Nick, just like you, no family. Her friends all deserted her when she went into the psychiatric ward.”

“I knew there was something wrong with her, she's crazy!”

“No, she is not crazy! They just thought she was, because she could hear us. People are so unenlightened. She had an accident, bumped her head, and started hearing us. It really scared her. She's not in the psych ward anymore, she works in a factory during the day, delivers our messages after work, then talks with us every night at 8:00 pm sharp. She needs you, Nick.”


And so it went, week after week, they told Nick little things about Deanna, a bit at a time.

“Deanna has an infectious laugh but, there is no one, but us, to hear it,” they lamented.

“She has the gentlest spirit " even catches flies, and puts them outside, rather than killing them,” they informed him.

“The dimples in her cheeks, when she smiles, are adorable,” they said.

“Did you know Deanna is a good cook?” they asked, “She seldom cooks for herself, but she can make beef stroganoff, and bake an apple pie for dessert - her mother taught her.”

“She likes to read, just like you do, Nick,” they said.

Little by little, Nick began to feel as if he knew Deanna, as if they had been friends for years.


Always impulsive, Nick decided it was time to leave Texas, when a fellow coworker was promoted over him. His competitive spirit didn't like losing.  There was no on to hold him in Texas.  Nick figured Michigan was as good a place as any to live, who knew, maybe Deanna Sheldon would turn out to be his soul mate - couldn't hurt to find out.


On July 11, 2011 he packed his few belongings into his 2009, candy red, Ford F-150 pickup, and took three days driving to Michigan. Stopping in San Antonio to see the Alamo, and the River Walk, he crossed the mighty Mississippi River at St. Louis, he continued through Illinois, Indiana, then, into Michigan, winding up in Waterford/Clarkston area.


He spent a few months at a rundown motel, paying by the week. Going through a temp agency, he found a computer programing job, that eventually worked into a full-time job. Nick decided it was time to move out of the motel, after the guy in the next room was arrested for dealing drugs. He found an efficiency apartment, in a better area, that met his needs.


Now, to start looking for Deanna Sheldon. The spirits knew she lived in Mid-Michigan, they just weren't sure where. Nick started his campaign to find her by placing ads in different newspapers each month. Then he sat back to wait. If it was meant to be...







© 2012 Wendy Seames Garner


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I am liking this story even more, love this chapter, I found it very interesting, intriguing, mind blowing, you are a great writer Wendy, more please:))Moonbeam

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wendy Seames Garner

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Moonbeam! I am hoping to do some more writing this fall, after the grandkids are.. read more
moonbeam40

11 Years Ago

Smiling Moonbeam :))
The whole thing is arduous dialogue. Don't get me wrong. It's great to read sometimes. But it lacks narrative elements. I don't feel emotionally invested. Sorry. Maybe I'll like some of your other stuff.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pax
i like the back story of nick. its getting interesting and an easy read..great chapter so far.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like the way you did this Wendy... very cool ! I liked your Blog... I tried to leave a message but it wouldn't let me. It wanted me to sign up to the site first... is that how it works?? Get a chance let me know.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

431 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 15, 2012
Last Updated on May 15, 2012
Tags: copyright WSG, Texas, Michigan, psychic, Army, soulmate


Author

Wendy Seames Garner
Wendy Seames Garner

Lapeer, MI



About
I believe that every person we meet, every thing we touch has a story. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Biting Back Biting Back

A Poem by Bubo


PEACE PEACE

A Poem by Coyote Poetry