Fly Away

Fly Away

A Story by Wandering Bard
"

Have you ever wondered when, where, and why the end of the world will finally come? I know I have. (For the contest: The End of the World)

"

The wind flowed through my hair and stung my eyes with its harsh intensity. Debris flew above my head, and the clang of metal on concrete pierced the strange silence. Though the wind was harsh, it did not whisper loudy in my ears. Not a human voice cried out, and not one animal howled. Buildings toppled with ease, yet here I stood, unaffected. Why? Why was this happening?

For days now, the winds have gradually picked up, and storms of all kinds have become more frequent and deadly. The news stations have been abuzz with activity and Earth's greatest thinkers were set to the task of understanding the disturbances in the weather, and after two months of observation, Earth's scientists have finally admitted failure. On the day of that worldwide broadcast, the world went into a state of turmoil. People were unable to flee to a higher ground, a safe haven, for there was no where to go and nothing could be done. No one knew what would happen.

But within these last two days, half of the world's population has become... calm and unafraid of the raging, deadly storms. These men and women have walked the Earth as though there were no storms, no danger. Any contact with these people was unusual.

And I finally understood them. I was one of them.

I feel invincible, as though nothing could touch me. There is absolutely no way for harm to come to me in my state. My state of extreme happiness. That's what I feel. I feel giddy with excitment and ready to burst out cheering but cheering for what I don't understand, but I do know this: there is a reason.

I realized at last what it is. I'm cheering for my life in a world beyond my imagining, a savior who made it possible, and friends who all understand me. I know what's coming now.

A mass of people could be seen father along the road in the city of New York, year 2009. They all wore wide smiles which made even the most sad heart smile back. I ran down the road to join with those people, my people, because it was almost time. And when united, something deep within my mind said to me, we would all fly away.

© 2008 Wandering Bard


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

204 Views
Added on April 17, 2008
Last Updated on April 18, 2008

Author

Wandering Bard
Wandering Bard

Jefferson, GA



About
My real name is Justin and I live in Jefferson, GA. I currently have a MySpace page dedicated to the writers of the world called Writers Rock (www.myspace.com/writersrock), and I update it frequently... more..

Writing