Love Hurts

Love Hurts

A Chapter by Robert Francis Callaci
"

forever lost

"

Love Hurts (700 Words)


     Once a year on his deathday, the graveyard where he was buried was a source of great happiness for Norman D. Beetlebeach. His face lit up when he saw the love of his life, while he was alive, and now the love of his death, while dead. His phantom heart skipped a few beats as he basked in her beauty. He gave Roger, a death-long friend, a nudge to follow him to his gravesite to bear witness to the undying love he and Wendy had for each other.


     His smile was the size of a hundred tombstones as he saw his beloved approach. She was dressed in black, her chestnut hair flying and flowing freely with the breeze. He noticed a few gray hairs around the edges but it only enhanced her features rather than hindering them. Wendy laid the red roses she brought with her on his tombstone. She spoke to him as she always did on these visits, but this time her words rather than bringing sunshine to his heart, brought instead, heartbreak and misery. She said she found someone else, that she was happy and hoped that he was happy for her. She then got all choked up, turned around, and fled the graveyard. He saw Roger eying him with pity. Norman turned towards him and said,

 

“I’m happy for her, I really am, but it does sting somewhat. I’ve always told her to move on and find someone else, once I was gone. I guess she took my advice. I do hope that she will still continue to visit me. I need to be alone now. Sorry to cut the day short, but I need to get the hell out of here.”

 

.........

 

     Norman discarded his ghostly body as one does a suit. He let the light of his spirit wash over him. Being in a body, even a ghostly one, amplified one’s feelings tenfold. He felt betrayed, cuckolded, and alone. He knew what he was feeling was wrong, and that he should be happy for Wendy. That’s why he left. He needed to cleanse himself. After a good spirit wash he felt better. He decided to slide back to earth and apologize to Roger for his behavior. He donned his ghostly body and headed back to the cemetery where his and Roger’s tombstones stood. His ghostly heart stopped beating as he saw Roger kissing his wife. Martha must have just recently died. She came for him. She waited for him, never loving another man, always remaining faithful. Roger and Martha would be together forever.  Something within Norman broke.

 

.........

 

“I didn’t expect you back so soon, is everything alright? You look like you need a hug.” John grabbed Wendy in his arms and held her tight.

 

Wendy sighed with pleasure. He felt and smelled so good. She was happy and whole again. She kissed him on the cheek and said,

 

“You’ve read my mind. I had a strange day. When visiting Norman’s grave I told him about us. A chill went through my body after I said it. I could swear that I felt this wave of sorrow and even anger. It was overwhelming. I panicked and ran straight home.”

 

“Our imaginations can play powerful tricks with our minds,” said John. “You still love him and feel guilty that you moved on. I’m sure he’s looking down on you smiling, and is quite happy at what he sees. Come on, let’s go to bed.” He scooped up his bride and both giggled like teenagers as they entered their bedroom for the last time.

 

.........

 

“It just doesn’t make sense,” stated the detective. “No signs of forced entry, no fingerprints; nothing. Their bodies seemed to have been ripped apart by some demon. This is one sick b*****d! ”

 

..........

 

     Norman rocked back and forth while cradling Wendy’s head. He was hoping her dead lips would speak to him. This was the only way they could be together again for her spirit was elsewhere; it was joined eternally with John’s. The bond between him and Wendy was severed forever.

 

He screamed the blood curdling screams of a banshee. Hell became his refuge and home...

 

 

 

    

 

 

The End

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



© 2016 Robert Francis Callaci


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

66 Views
Added on July 7, 2016
Last Updated on July 7, 2016
Tags: short stories

Strange Tales for Lost Souls


Author

Robert Francis Callaci
Robert Francis Callaci

Port Richey, FL



About
My passion is writing- I've been writing a mythological tale on the many facets and faces of GOD- I've been a net poet for the past seventeen years- I'm a former admin at lit .org and active one (Patr.. more..

Writing