The Winds of Peace

The Winds of Peace

A Chapter by Robert Francis Callaci
"

a little peace time story

"

The Winds of Peace (650 words)

     

     Bombs, bullets, and lasers blasting, shrapnel flying indiscriminately, the smell of decayed and rotting flesh wafting through the air; sends chills to the old general’s bones. His pulse quickens at those horrific sights, smells, and sounds that now typify a typical day of conflict. These remnants of war, draws a half-smile on General Julius P. Poppercock’s pockmarked face. As he takes a sip of his morning coffee, he ponders on the devastation and chaos that war incites and ignites. Most agree prolonged conflict is a catalyst that accelerates invention, innovation, and stimulation for the Arts and Sciences. His smile widens as he realizes he is also doing God’s work. All the churches, synagogues, and temples are filled to capacity. The frightened and aggrieved needed to believe in something other than themselves; a God to succor and comfort them. He couldn’t help but feel a sense of pride for all the crucial work that he was doing.  War is the salvation of the world, and he is the match that fires it up and keeps it burning. Without warriors like him the world would be swallowed up in stagnation, apathy, and boredom. The General fancied himself, a modern day Marcus Aurelius. His reverie was interrupted when one of his officers burst through the doors and gave him a quick salute.

     

     His chief strategist and aid, Major Joseph D. Puddlemud hurriedly entered into the general’s office. His face was flushed with fear and worry as he addressed the general. “Sir, I just came from Command Central and heard some disturbing news. There’s been talk of a ceasefire.  Peacemongers have infiltrated both governments and are clamoring for a Peace Summit. They’re saying ‘We gave War a chance but now’s the time for Peace to conquer and prevail’. It’s their damn Mantra. It’s starting to connect with the masses. Protests are mounting and troop recruitment is flattening out. I fear the idea of peace is creeping its way into the fabric of our society.” The Major wiped droplets of sweat off his brow, as he waited for the General’s response.

     

     The Generals worst nightmare turned into a waking one. He remembered the last Peace and the disastrous effects that it had on both worlds.  “I will not let this stand! Don’t those peace idiots realize that the end of hostilities will break apart this united world into hundreds of separate states? The world economy would collapse.  This is madness. We need to remind our citizens of the rampart unemployment, suicides, drug addiction and crime that raged in the cities and countryside’s from the last peace, as well as the decline in theistic religions and the rise of atheistic hedonism. Major, we need to set up a propaganda campaign that would address those pitfalls. Flood the media outlets with a strong patriotic message that peace is not viable with an enemy that possesses no soul. Remind our citizens that they want to enslave us, bend us to their will.  We must reiterate that these peace overtures are a devious ruse to get us to relax our vigilance against their planned invasion. There’s no time to lose; get it done, now!”

      

     Ambassador Anton of the Earth Alliance turned to his counterpart Prince Barga Rok of the Moorshi Empire and said, “I’m relieved beyond measure that peace is finally at hand despite heavy opposition from our generals. War is all they know and the thought of peace frightens them.  Our worlds will be facing a bright new dawn rather than the flickering twilight we’ve been living in.” The Prince nodded in agreement and was about to give a toast when alarms sounded.

     

     General Poppercock and the Supreme Marshall Jima Di both sighed as they heard the alarms.  The General shook the Supreme Marshalls claws and said, “Thanks to our tactical support, your attack on our Capitol went flawlessly.  War is a commodity our worlds cannot live without.”

 

                                                

 

 

 

 



© 2020 Robert Francis Callaci


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

5 Views
Added on July 12, 2020
Last Updated on July 12, 2020
Tags: fantasy

Strange Tales for Lost Souls


Author

Robert Francis Callaci
Robert Francis Callaci

Port Richey, FL



About
My passion is writing- I've been writing a mythological tale on the many facets and faces of GOD- I've been a net poet for the past seventeen years- I'm a former admin at lit .org and active one (Patr.. more..

Writing