Big Trouble in the Third Dimension

Big Trouble in the Third Dimension

A Story by Deborah Dhue
"

A highly advanced astrophysicist gets bored with his every day work at NASA and digs a little too deep into quantum theory. Will it cost him his life?

"

Jeffrey Vaughn hadn't seen his wife or son in days. Being one of NASA’s most intellectual astrophysicists meant that he was married to his job and the precious equations he needed to send men into space and safely bring them back. The chalkboards in his office were full of math, scribbles, and free-body diagrams.

Half of the executives couldn't make heads or tails of his scribbles, so they didn't know that Jeffrey had been doing more than trajectory calculations. He was surrounded by old Chinese takeout boxes and discarded cups of coffee. An aid walked in to deliver his mail and seemed shocked at the man's environment.

“Wow, looks like your maid took the day off.” The aid chuckled, trying to make conversation.

“I like clutter,” Jeffrey replied flatly, reaching out for the bundle of mail. “It keeps your brain going. Chaos is the fuel of the mind.”

“Whatever you say, Dr. Vaughn.” The aid said, shaking his head and leaving.

Jeffrey sifted through the papers: a newspaper that was nothing but coupons, a men's clothing magazine that reeked of cheap cologne, and an envelope with no address, label, or return address.

“What the?” He whispered, tossing the other junk mail aside and staring perplexed at the blank envelope. He decided to open it.

As the letter opener tore the fibers of the envelope’s crease, Jeffrey felt a pit open deep in his stomach. His shaky hands pulled a piece of paper out. His forehead broke out into a sweat.

We're watching you.

Just one sentence, and Jeffrey realized that maybe he had studied too much and dug too far. He turned to the scribbles on the chalkboard. In the middle panel was his greatest discovery, and now it could be the greatest threat to his life. He stood quickly and frantically gathered up some of his legal pads and pocket notebooks.

“I never should have rearranged that equation,” he said to himself, “I never should have had the audacity to even consider travelling to another dimension. There are laws of physics for a reason.”

Jeffrey’s mind was racing as he scrambled to write down the rest of his notes on the chalkboard, then he heard something behind him. It was a movement of sorts, a rustle, maybe. But it was sudden, and he could feel someone, or something, behind him. Jeffrey turned slowly and saw two bald very pale men. Their black suits were spotless, and he could feel their eyes burning into his skin, even though they were masked by black sunglasses.

“Please come with us, Dr. Vaughn.” One of the men stated, his hands remaining folded in front of him. The other slowly motioned towards the door. Jeffrey just looked between the two in disbelief. His supervisor should be down here at any moment to check up on his progress.

“Dr. Vaughn, please. It is in your best interest for you to come with us immediately.” The other said flatly, motioning towards the door once again. Jeffrey swallowed hard and started towards the door. The men in black waited for him to pass between them before following him out.  Jeffrey had been too smart for his own good, and now he would pay the price for it.

© 2017 Deborah Dhue


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

118 Views
Added on March 6, 2017
Last Updated on March 6, 2017
Tags: fiction, scifi, sci-fi, astrophysics, men in black, NASA, space, quantum theory, interdimensional travel

Author

Deborah Dhue
Deborah Dhue

Alton, IL



About
I write poetry and prose for fun. I hope to publish some work one day. I also play piano and draw. I love art and language. more..

Writing