The Loniest Dove

The Loniest Dove

A Poem by Wesley Dingler

The loneliest dove has flown the coop,

   And I notice this from where I'm standing:

He isn't intimidated by all of this room,

   As he is showing no sign of landing.


Though he's circled overhead in a loop,

   I know it's more than just bird-brain antics;

As it is not the look, but in fact, the view

   That now holds him and I both transfixed.


Hasn't he waited humbly

   For the day that he'd be tumbling

Through the sky like the clouds,

   Without even a slight for fear or doubt?



The loneliest dove now forms a truce,

   With himself and with no one other than:

To ones own self always remain true,

   Because it isn't kindness that governs Man.


Though he's circled overhead twice now,

   I know he won't return to his cage again;

Because I feel he knows some way, some how,

   That he will never get to relive this day again.


Under his wings there is gold,

   And now the world can see it, too.

So if there's any disbelief that grows,

   It exists only as warning that there are fools--



   Fools who can't remember breathing

     For the very first time in life.

© 2023 Wesley Dingler


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This lovely poem explores the theme of liberation and self-discovery through the metaphor of a dove.

The poet begins by presenting the dove as the loneliest of its kind, having left the safety of its coop. The speaker, observing from a distance, notes that the dove is unafraid of the vastness of the open space and shows no intention of returning.

The repetitive circling of the dove overhead suggests a deliberate and purposeful action, indicating that there is more to its behavior than mere randomness. The poet emphasizes that it is not the dove's physical appearance but rather its perspective and newfound view of the world that captivates both the bird and the speaker. This shift in perception is symbolic of a deeper transformation and understanding.

The poet suggests that the dove has been patiently waiting for this moment, eagerly desiring to soar freely like the clouds, unburdened by fear or doubt. By breaking free from the confines of its cage, the dove has forged a truce with itself, finding inner peace and authenticity. The phrase "To one's own self always remain true" conveys the importance of self-acceptance and staying true to one's identity.

The repetition of the circling imagery implies that the dove has embarked on a journey of self-discovery and growth. The poet suggests that the dove will not return to its former state of captivity, as it has experienced a profound realization that this day, this newfound freedom, is irreplaceable. The dove's wings, symbolically described as holding gold, represent its hidden potential and brilliance, now revealed to the world.

The poet acknowledges that some may doubt or disbelieve the dove's transformation, considering it a warning sign of their own foolishness. This skepticism serves as a reminder that there are individuals who have lost touch with the awe-inspiring and transformative moments in life, symbolized by the metaphorical "fools" who have forgotten the joy of simply breathing for the first time.

Overall, the poem celebrates the journey of self-discovery and liberation. The dove's flight represents the human quest for authenticity, breaking free from societal constraints, and embracing the beauty and possibilities of the world. Through its elegant and metaphorical language, the poem encourages readers to embrace their own transformative moments and remain true to themselves.

It inspires me to write or build on it.

"The loneliest dove has flown, escaped its coop,
From where I stand, I witness its pursuit.
Unfazed by vastness, no intention to stoop,
In flight it remains, a resolute pursuit."

I very much enjoyed your prose!

Posted 10 Months Ago


The lonely dove left his home and found another space where he is at peace; it’s the freedom that he craves. A lovely write, using profound images.
I loved it.
Fondly, Betty

Posted 3 Years Ago


Wesley Dingler

2 Years Ago

Thank you so much Betty. Im so sorry i just now got around to seeing this. I am glad you found it as.. read more
'The loneliest Dove'
Wesley Dingler,
This was really interesting to read. The actual behavior of the dove is really different from how it is portrayed in your above writing which made it intriguing to me. They do have a tendency to stay in a particular territory and do not seek wide open spaces. They do kind of seem lonely though which fits pretty good. Great poem! I read it with great interest. Bless you this New year almost upon us.
Kathy

Posted 3 Years Ago


Wow......... this has such a transcendent quality to it.......

Posted 3 Years Ago


Wesley Dingler

3 Years Ago

I actually stole this one from Louis Mckraker.
Shh. Dont tell anyone.
light and ashes

3 Years Ago

😆 I won't. 🤫 You're too funny.
Magnificent freedom that stirs the heart and frees the soul

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wesley Dingler

4 Years Ago

Thank you so much for enjoying this piece. I speaks to me even to the point where I sometimes read i.. read more
i think once we escape a bad situation and find freedom we might have that tendency to want to stick around a bit, and just marvel at what we escaped from and wonder why it took so long.
j.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wesley Dingler

4 Years Ago

Dearest jacob i think you understood my thoughts here exactly.
But the thing is, everyone els.. read more
The caged bird flies, and why would he ever want to go back. Visual and beautiful lines here. A good composition, conveyed well.

Chris

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wesley Dingler

4 Years Ago

Thank you, Chris. I'm pleased you liked it so, and I'm really happy to see you're still carving away.. read more
Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

Yes, addicted to poetry :)
The freedom of flight so ably presented by your words. Well done. Thank you.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wesley Dingler

4 Years Ago

Much appreciated, Augustus. I'm sorry I don't have much time to spend at the Cafe anymore, but thing.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

291 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 18, 2019
Last Updated on February 23, 2023

Author

Wesley Dingler
Wesley Dingler

TN



About
I was born in Central Alabama February 27, 1985. I'm a Piscean and love it. I began writing poetry and child stories at age nine. I began home schooling after the Sixth Grade, having a lot of troub.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..