Spinal Cap

Spinal Cap

A Story by Declan
"

My struggle, in short story form.

"

It started with my back, but became much more than that.

A path of sorrow, something to flee from before I was toppled.

I slowly learnt that those who were prominent, were in fact my enemies and baited me as offal!

The doctors were crude, rude and I was abused, by a system that that failed to offer compassion.

Once my pride was eaten, I looked to beat them, and won my place, amongst the others in the rat race.

The race to just be, as I was once before, but I was not to know that my problems would grow.

I was taxed to the hilt, force fed guilt, which lashed at the fire, inside my body I once admired.

I met a man who had studied in England, my father told me that many he had healed them. His ability to maneuver, and put back what was missing was second to none, his smile very admissing.

For many months, and painful nights, a year became two, every time I turned out the lights.

Farewelling a man to leave for Japan, I was quite sad. But heart of hearts told me I should not be mad.

Arriving in a land that is full of history and secrets, I embellished upon a new plan, to adhere to their keepers.

I was greeted by a picture, a bent tree bound by braces, forcing the trunk back into it’s correct places.

Fascinating. This picture I see. One not to forget, whoever had put it there I have much respect. For it stays with me now, the image of healing, one I am sure I am sharing with a crowd.

This man I met behind that picture, told me nothing of his skills instead asking of mine. ‘I teach’ I said, not knowing of this interaction, then I laid on my back and got ready for the traction.

Soft as the snow that had fallen in Winter just passed, he gently applied his peculiar massage.

Upon leaving, I was told yes the disc is herniated, something I knew from much grieving. But the words he said next offered me some hope, that perhaps he is different, the same old treatment, nope?

He will move the bone in my pelvis, ever so slightly, therefore reducing all my anxiety.

Little by little you will come and you will see, the difference lies in the ability to let be.

Fix the structure, to fix the cracks, look around you and do not look back.

Moving a bone! No-one I had met on this journey had condoned.

Two months later my pain has now faded. All that sciatica had been shaded.

I cannot sit for too long, a legacy that stays, but for this man so far, I owe him all my good days. A miracle it is to stand as I do, a slightly bent spine, slightly askew.

I look forward to each visit, he says nothing new. Just does his craft and applies his glue.

He knows nothing of the respect that I have, for someone to help me, nothing of the invisible jewels that adorn him.

After years of searching,

That one man, one day I will tell him.

© 2018 Declan


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

141 Views
Added on April 22, 2018
Last Updated on April 22, 2018
Tags: injured, pain, workcover

Author

Declan
Declan

melbourne, victoria, Australia



About
From Australia, living in Japan. more..

Writing
Taxed Taxed

A Poem by Declan