Freshman Year.

Freshman Year.

A Chapter by whiteNight
"

Ah, it's looks like a another chapter of background info! Funsies all around.

"
Freshman year. We all remember it. That first day, trying to find your classes - constantly being hassled by upperclassman.
High School.
For me, it was Bitburg High School.
I had never been so nervous.
And as I'd come to find put - never had I fit in so well.
Now, I was never popular - I had friends, yes. But I was quiet. I was outspoken.
But then I found how revered it was to be good in a sport. I thanked my lucky stars I was athletic.
Because I made friends. I became confident in myself.
I had found my niche.
Plus, it was like starting over. The kids from Spang and Bitburg went to the same high school. I met so many new people.
And I was happy.
I was still in band, which got in the way of my practice sometimes. But I was okay with it.
I never forgot how much I loved playing sax.
It was towards the end of my freshman year. I had been varsity in Cross Country, Basketball, and Soccer (though, it was only a school of 250). I had made so many friends. I wasn't the nameless girl anymore. I was Whitney Corley.
So when I got on a band bus to practice for the High School graduation, my confidence had never been higher.
I only saw Bobby once that year; and it was during this particular trip.
I sat in my own seat, with my friends around me, and we were cracking jokes. We had just got out of two periods and we were pretty damn happy.
But then, twenty minutes later, we pulled into the middle school.
I pulled out my headphones and sat up. I threw a stray jellybean at Marcel who was sleeping.
"Marcel! Why are we stopping at the middle school?" I asked.
"The middle schoolers are playing with us," he said. "They better not be loud. I'd be beyond pissed."
My heart sped up.
D****t d****t d****t.
He was getting on the bus.
He sat with a girl - she had tan skin and straight black hair. I felt a tinge of jealously.
The middle school director walked up the aisle, and stopped at Bobby and the girl. "Do you really think I'm going to let you sit by your girlfriend? No. Move."
He protested. She countered.
He got up and his eyes fell on me.
Oh God.
He gave a smile and walked towards me and sat down.
Fate had a fucked up sense of humor.
He sat down, and I got so tense, you could shove a lump of coal up my a*s a pull out a diamond.
"Hi."
"Hey."
He laughed. "I'm not going to bite."
I smiled. "I didn't think you were."
And we talked.
We talked about anything. Everything.
He was so easy to talk to.
Needless to say, by the end of that bus ride - I was smitten. Head over heels smitten.
During the rehearsal, he was on my mind. Even though he had a stupid girlfriend. I envied her so much (later, I found her name was Samantha - she joined the soccer team my sophomore year, and became... Well, my protégé. I honestly came to adore her).
At the end, as I was packing my saxophone, he stood next to me.
I looked up at him. "Hey, Bobby."
Did he know my heart was racing?
No. He couldn't have.
"So. Are you gonna be here next year?" He asked.
"Um, no. I'm not, actually. I'm moving back to Texas."
"Oh," he said. "That... sucks."
We were quiet.
"Where's your alto?" I asked.
His eyes widened. "Oh s**t, stay here-"
And he rushed to the other side of the hangar to get it, and I laughed. It was a half-hearted laugh.
Because I knew the moment I go back to school, I wouldn't see him again.
I didn't really like that thought to much.
I pushed it out of my head.
We didn't have a chance anyway.
Did we?


© 2013 whiteNight


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

im in band! i play clarinet :D . i really really like ur writing

Posted 10 Years Ago


whiteNight

10 Years Ago

WHAAAAAT? That's awesome!(: Aha I love the sound of clarinet - it's completely unique.
Ahhh t.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 16, 2013
Last Updated on June 16, 2013
Tags: #freshmanyear, #fellinlove, #background


Author

whiteNight
whiteNight

San Antonio, TX



About
Hi, I'm 16, and constantly moving. I've lived around the world, and I wanted a place to share my writing. I'm a sucker for beat poems, and I would be lost without sports and literature in my life. .. more..

Writing
Soul Soul

A Poem by whiteNight