Sophomore Year - Trial and Error

Sophomore Year - Trial and Error

A Chapter by whiteNight
"

Just the next chapter c: The years almos done though. So it's almost over ):

"
Have I ever mentioned I don't like the cold?
That was a pain I had to deal with in Germany.
Snow was everywhere in the winter.
Winter Break was coming up soon, and despite my lack of enthusiasm for the cold; I was pretty excited to be spending one more Christmas in Germany.
Things had slowly gotten better.
The investigation was still underway, but life was looking up. Basketball was going awesome - the Varsity team was dominating this year.
But then Zack broke up with me.
On the same exact day Lizzie broke up with Bobby.
"You got broken up with too?" I couldn't help by laugh. We were walking to Autotech, the only class we had in common.
"Well, s**t. Great timing, huh?" he said.
"I guess, we'll just be the broken hearts club," I said.
He laughed. "Sounds like a super fun time."
We sat in our seats, and I made sure not to look at Zack.
I still felt completely awkward being around him.
"Alright, so today we'll start off doing something different," Mr. Muther started off.
We all waited for him to finish.
"Since all of you have finished your diagnostics on alternators," he said. "You now have a pop quiz on alternators."
"Ah s**t," I said. I didn't remember anything from taking apart the alternator. I knew what to do, not the part names! "I'm going to bomb this."
"I don't remember anything," Bobby whispered. "I bet I could get more than a 65, though."
"Please, everyone's gonna fail this," I said.
He raised his eyebrows. "I bet I won't."
"Fine, lets make a bet - if get more than a 65, you owe me," I said.
"I owe you what?"
"Pfft, I have no idea," I said. "How about five bucks?"
"Five bucks, huh? Lets make this interesting; if I get more than a 65," he said quietly. "You owe me a kiss."
I blushed, and gave a nervous laugh. "Alright, you're still bombing it though."
He grinned. "We'll see."
That was the hardest pop quiz I had ever taken in my life.
I was an A/B student. C's? Hardly.
So I nearly choked when he passed back the papers ten minutes later.
I got a whopping low grade of 45.
So much for five bucks.
"What'd you get?" he asked.
"45, how about you?" I asked.
He showed me his paper. "60. I was so damn close."
I laughed. "Oh, damn. What a shame."
"Damn right it's a shame," he said. "I wanted to win that bet."
I rolled my eyes and smiled. "Yeah, of course you did."
He shook his head and smiled.
I actually kind of wished he won too.
* * *
Chemistry is not my strong suit, but I usually loved it.
But even my love of chemistry could not extend to stoichiometry.
That crap is a pain in the rear.
I got up and signed out to used the restroom, grabbed the pass, and got out of there.
I breathed and smiled. It was good to take a break.
As I turned the corner, Bobby came out of Mr. Gilmour's room. He was wearing black slacks and a plain white shirt, and he was struggling to put on a button-up white shirt over it.
The band people had a thing at the middle school today, but they were supposed to leave five minutes ago.
"Running late?" I asked.
He turned and smiled. "Seems to be a habit nowadays."
He finished buttoning up his shirt as we walked down the hall. He had to go to the band room across the school, and I was just wasting time.
"So, that Autotech quiz, huh?" he asked.
"Horrible. It was like Vietnam."
He laughed as we walked down the stairwell. "I was so close to winning that bet."
"I know you were," I said with fake sympathy. "One day you'll get it."
We were both standing in front of the school exit. He had to leave through the doors to get to the band room, and I had to turn around.
But neither of us moved.
"Hey, I need to head back to class-"
He held out his arms to hug me, and I obliged. He wrapped his arms around my waist, and I wrapped mine around his neck.
The hug ended, but we didn't break apart.
... I was pretty okay with that.
"Hey, you got taller," I realised, and he raised his eyebrows. It was true he had grown a couple inches - he used to be shorter than me. Now he was my height, if not a little more.
"We'll, that's good," he said quietly, resting his forehead against mine. "That's means it'd be easier to do this-"
Oh my God.
He was going to kiss me.
I did the only thing could think of.
As we rested our foreheads on each others, I turned my head ever so slightly so he kissed my cheek.
He looked at me, and shook his head and smiled. "I'll see you around, Whitney," he said as he walked out the doors.
"See you," I said quietly. He was already gone.
Uh.
Well then.
This certainly changed things.


© 2013 whiteNight


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

144 Views
Added on June 19, 2013
Last Updated on June 19, 2013
Tags: true story, love, high school, love story


Author

whiteNight
whiteNight

San Antonio, TX



About
Hi, I'm 16, and constantly moving. I've lived around the world, and I wanted a place to share my writing. I'm a sucker for beat poems, and I would be lost without sports and literature in my life. .. more..

Writing
Soul Soul

A Poem by whiteNight