Happiness

Happiness

A Story by Chris Barker

What exactly is happiness? Why do we pursue it? Is it because it makes us feel amazing about ourselves? To give ourselves some kind of purpose to live our lives? Happiness is hard to find and once you have it you never want to let go of it. It eventually fades away like everything does, but does it come back? Why do you want it back knowing that it would just fade away again? Is it possible to have happiness forever without it fading away? Is that what we're pursuing? Why do we rarely feel happiness and experience more pain? Does it make us stronger or weaker? Why can't happiness be there for us when we need it most? ...or is it already here? Are we so blinded by pain and hurt that we ignore it's existence? Is that thing that's always there for us is that actually happiness? If it isn't...what is it then? We look and look to try and find our what this thing is. We keep going and going until we reach the finish line. We reach the finish line and stop and we meet...it's happiness. It wasn't there for us...but it also never really left. So what was that thing that kept us going to the point we're at now? The thing that prevented everything from falling apart. The thing that kept us sane. Or perhaps it's not actually a thing, then what is it? A...feeling? 

© 2010 Chris Barker


Author's Note

Chris Barker
I have no idea what genre to put this in so if you have an idea please let me know! Hope you enjoy/ed my piece of writing!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

It's a beautiful piece. It's definitely philosophical. I had Philosophy as a subject for a year and there would be questions like "What is happiness" . It's interesting reading your opinion on something where an exact answer doesn't exist.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wonderful piece. Philosophical in a way which made me think. I like it :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Good write. I've reflected about this in the past as well. I wrote a blog about it. Don't mind the spelling mistakes or the grammar, I wrote it a year ago. Here it goes:

"HAPPINESS

What is life without each day the possibility to see someone else smile? Nothing. The happiness of another person makes you indirectly happy. You find happiness in eachother and you share it.

For me, my daily task is to express my possible happiness as hard as i can, just to make people feel comfortable when they are with me.

When someone is sad, i don’t know how to act, what to say, … I just don’t know if i’m doing the right thing. Also i become a little bit sad too, i get compassion with that person, i’m then basically just following my heart, that tells me what to do and how to act. i don’t know if i’m doing right or wrong, that’s for the person to decide. But he/she will see that i’m doing it straight from the heart… because i’m just letting my non-forced emotions roll. I’m a boy, but not scared of crying… like most other boys? Well, they are not scared of crying either, but just for doing this in public. They won’t look macho enough anymore, well, that’s so lame.

When someone is happy, you can pretty much act how you like, or talk about anything you like. Feeling comfortable and appreciated is the key to social contacts. You can’t have a good social contact with someone you don’t feel good with. it can’t be successfull.

Now, i think we all should live our lives in an as much as possible positive way. I know that there can happen alot of serious troubles in your life, but altough i think, EVERY person is strong enough to handle them. ( i don’t want to be rude or mean, but i think that even social or mental disordered people have their own, precious way to deal with such things… )

I know this can take a long time, but eventually you’ll reach a point where you feel you’ve handled with it. And then you can lock it up in your heart and let it become the most precious thing of your life. But you aren’t standing still anymore! You’re moving out, with your biggest strength with you…

Every single being has the strength to get out of problems, in his own way. – that’s my point.

Why would you let your lives be miserable and become more miserable? Why the f**k you want to do that?"



Posted 13 Years Ago


Some suggest Philosophy, but I would put it under Religious. Keep writing!

Posted 13 Years Ago


I like how you structure the 'story', making it philosophical and interesting. It also elicits thought, which adds to the idea of the passage being even more wonderful. Very realistic, and I can relate to this.

In my opinion, happiness is when you have no worries and you just feel like the luckiest person on earth..at least for a moment.

Posted 13 Years Ago


.. this is nice.
'It eventually fades away like everything does'
love it.
(:

Posted 13 Years Ago


i like how philosophical this is.. its something everyone thinks about. The first question draws a person in, simply because of what its questioning. Its very nice though, and reminds me of this quote from a book..
"The saddest people I've ever met in life are the ones who don't care deeply about anything at all. Passion and satisfaction go hand in hand and without them, any happiness is only temporary because there is nothing to make it last." - dear John by Nicholas sparks

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is more philosophical and it is really good. Keep writing. :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Interesting thoughts.. very original.. I would consider breaking it up a bit, instead of lumping it into one paragraph. Perhaps Philosophy?

Thanks for the interesting thoughts to start off my day. :)

-Coral-

Posted 13 Years Ago


You know you're on the right path when you question everything, haha. This a brilliant outlook on happiness, shedding light to some very poignant truths. Well done, keep up the good work! :)

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

505 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 27, 2010
Last Updated on August 29, 2010

Author

Chris Barker
Chris Barker

MA



About
I'm Chris. I live in Massachusetts and I'm 17 and have been writing since I was 13. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Love Love

A Poem by nickchidiac