Vampire movies--the best

Vampire movies--the best

A Story by Doug Ordunio
"

A popular genre of cinema with descriptions of the best

"

Vampire movies???

 

Well, they certainly have become a fad, haven’t they?  Twilight?  Well, I think those are designed for the younger set.

 

I would have to say that tied for the greatest of all are the Tod Browning Dracula with Bela Lugosi, from the 30s,  and Murnau’s Nosferatu starring Max Schreck from1922.   Those stick fairly well to the ideas of the original Bram Stoker novel.  If you need laughs, then of course Love at First Bite with George Hamilton.

 

The other really interesting ones, in no particular order, include Abel Ferrara’s The Addiction (1995), starring Lili Taylor, Annabella Sciorra, and Christopher Walken.  I think it has an ugly beauty because it’s in black and white.  In addition, it is filmed on the streets of New York and has in part, a hip-hop soundtrack. Taylor plays Kathleen, a sociology student at NY University. One night she is bitten by Sciorra, and because Kathleen cannot order her to “go away,” she drinks her blood.  Thus begins her journey as a vampire. She meets Peina (Walken) who claims to almost have conquered his addiction. He keeps her for awhile and tries to help her. At her graduation party, she initiates a vampiric orgy.. At the end, she is seen walking away from her grave. Appropriately, her birth date is Hallowe’en.

 

The Hunger (1983) is directed by Tony Scott and stars Catherine Deneuve, Susan Sarandon and David Bowie.  These are rather cultured vampires who seem to like classical music as well as rock. Miriam (Deneuve) is an immortal vampire who promises her lovers eternal life. Her current lover is John (Bowie), a cellist whom she met in 18th century France. Suddenly, he starts aging. He contacts Sarah Roberts, (Sarandon) a doctor who specializes in premature aging disorders. The lesbian scene which eventually transpires between Deneuve and Sarandon is lovely and tasteful, and the accompaniment of the ‘Flower Duet’ from Lakme by Delibes is perfect. (This was before it became the signature tune of British Airways.)

 

Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1992) directed by Francis Ford Coppola tries to capture the flavor of the original novel.  If you can see it in a version with the director’s commentary because his description of his methods is VERY interesting. the entire movie was shot on a sound stage. The historical devices included in the film such as early cinematic techniques and props are quite remarkable.  It stars Gary Oldman (Dracula), Winona Ryder (Mina), Anthony Hopkins (van Helsing), Keanu Reeves (Jonathan), Tom Waits (Renfield), and Monica Bellucci among others.  The movie also harkens back to the idea that the original Dracula was related to Vlad the Impaler.

 

These are just my opinions, but I’m very picky when it comes to film.

© 2011 Doug Ordunio


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

155 Views
Added on October 11, 2011
Last Updated on October 11, 2011
Tags: vampire, horror, dracula

Author

Doug Ordunio
Doug Ordunio

Tujunga, CA



About
I have been writing for a little while-- Please read and you might be entertained. Please don't send me tons of read requests. If you must send one, make sure it's your best stuff. From me, you will.. more..

Writing