Chapter 35: The Beldam

Chapter 35: The Beldam

A Chapter by Shin

                        After hours sleeping, Kirisu wakes the girls up as they are very near to the island, they all look out to the island as it gets even nearer.

            “I wonder why we didn’t take planes in the first place to come this far.” Kazumi comments.

            “First of all you have to reserve the plane tickets before hand, like a few weeks before if not a month, second is that we would need a VISA, which I have one, but I would still have to send in an application to the embassy of the country and wait at least two months to get confirmation and enter.” Yumi explains.

            “Whoa, now I understand why we travel by boat.” Kazumi says surprised.

            “You really know a lot about traveling, but if I’m not mistaken you can travel to any place all of a sudden.” Kirisu remarks.

            “Yeah, I guess I neglected to say that, but it’s more expensive on plane though.” Yumi says shrugging her shoulders.

            “Yeah, but I couldn’t have explained it better anyways.” Kirisu says.

            “Yeah.” Yumi says looking away as the strong breeze passes by.

            “We’re already here.” Rick shouts.

            “Thanks.” Yumi says.

                        The party begins to get out of the ship when suddenly the captain says. “Before you go, would you mind listening to me?”

            “What’s up?” Yumi asks.

            “Well, you know that I said before that I wouldn’t recommend you kids to come here right?” Rick asks.

            “Yeah, about that, I wanted to know what you meant by that.” Yumi says.

            “Is there anything strange on the island?” Kazumi asks showing a slight worry.

            “Yes, indeed, there is something happening… many young people in the village have been disappearing lately, especially children.” Rick explains with a sad expression.

            “Oh no, that’s awful!” Kazumi says covering her mouth.

            “Is it a warning or do you want us to do something about it?” Yumi asks coldly.

            “A little of both.” Rick shamelessly admits.

            “What makes you think we can do something about this?” Yumi asks.

            “I saw you when you moved that rope with magic.” Rick says.

            “Magic?” Kirisu asks.

            “Oh…” Kazumi looks at Yumi.

            “You saw that huh, well, let me tell you one thing, what you saw isn’t magic, not even I know what exactly it is.” Yumi remarks.

            “But can you at least check on the people on the village?” Rick asks almost pleading.

            “Uhhh…” Yumi sighs.

            “What are we going to do?” Kazumi asks.

            “I don’t think it’s the Krampus, it’s not Christmas.” Kirisu comments.

            “What?” Kazumi asks confused.

            “Nothing, forget it.” Kirisu says.

            “You know, I’m really in a hurry.” Yumi says.

            “Please, I just want to make sure everybody’s okay.” Rick says bowing his head.

            “Why don’t you check that out yourself mister?” Yumi asks.

            “You see, I’m not as young and energetic as I used to be, and to tell you the truth, I’m a real coward, so please young lady!” Rick says.

            “Humph… fine, whatever, I’ll check it out just this once.” Yumi sighs.

            “Thank you young lady, you’re a charm.” Rick comments.

            “…… Where’s the village?” Yumi asks.

            “It’s over that stone road ahead of you, just follow the road and you’ll get there in no time.” Rick says pointing out the road.

            “So we check and come back and tell you?” Yumi asks.

            “I would appreciate it.” Rick nods.

            “Maybe its Lucien, it’s worth the check anyways.” Kirisu says.

            “I can feel his presence a little father to the south.” Yumi says looking towards the south.

            “If you check on them and come back to report me I swear I’ll take you south free, on the house.” Rick says.

            “You heard that Yumi?” Kirisu asks.

            “I guess it’s worth the check then.” Yumi says.

            “Aren’t you coming too mister?” Kazumi asks.

            “No, I’m sorry, it’s like I said before, I’m a coward…” Rick says.

            “Let him stay, we don’t need any guides.” Yumi says walking ahead of the party.

                        The party moves along the stone road in between a small forest like in fairy tales, its dark and ominous, for an island there’s not a sight of light, everything is pale and somewhat wilted.

            “I don’t like it here, it’s scary…” Kazumi comments looking around.

            “I get what you mean, but it’s not like a tree is gonna start talking out of nowhere.” Kirisu comments with a smile.

                        Suddenly a shadowy figure comes out of the woods and hugs Kazumi’s right leg.

            “Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!” Kazumi yells letting go of her bag.

                        Kirisu quickly unsheathes his sword and is about to strike what’s on Kazumi’s leg until Yumi grabs his arm, stopping Kirisu from hurting what is really a little boy completely frightened.

            “Don’t you see this is a little boy?” Yumi asks.

            “Uhh, sorry, it was just a reflex, that’s all.” Kirisu says sheathing his sword.

            “Your reflex could’ve killed a little boy, probably chopped off Kazumi’s leg at it too.” Yumi remarks staring at Kirisu coldly.

            “I wouldn’t go that far.” Kirisu says.

            “Anyways, little boy, where did you come from? What’s your name? Are you from the village? Why are you running?” Yumi asks.

                        The frightened boy is scared out of his mind, he only responds. “The Beldam…”

            “The Beldam?” Yumi asks perplexed.

            “What does that mean?” Kazumi asks.

            “Humph… never heard that word before.” Kirisu comments.

            “He must be from the village nearby.” Yumi says.

            “Maybe he would talk to a fairy!” Faye says coming out of Kazumi’s bag.

            “Don’t go showing off, so you better hide before he sees you and gets even more scared.” Yumi says.

            “Hey! You make me sound like a monster!” Faye says annoyed.

            “Just shut up and hide.” Yumi says.

            “Meanie.” Faye says hiding into Kazumi’s bag.

            “Let’s go.” Yumi says.

                        They keep walking until they reach the small village; the party is surprised to see that there is no activity around, not a person in sight.

            “Now this is weird, no people around or anything.” Kirisu says looking around.

            “Little boy, where’s your house?” Yumi asks.

                        The boy slightly points with his finger at one of the houses to the right side of the village, there are a lot of leaves on the ground, almost seems like autumn. They walk towards the boy’s house and knock on the front door; it’s a rundown pale grayish and green wooden door.

            “Does anybody even live here?” Kirisu asks.

            “Kirisu!” Kazumi says slapping Kirisu’s shoulder slightly.

            “Sorry, but it is true if you think about it.” Kirisu says.

            “Stop it! The boy’s family lives here.” Kazumi says annoyed.

            “No one is answering.” Yumi says calmly.

            “Maybe they think we’re Jehovah’s witnesses or something, hahaha.” Kirisu comments.

            “Pff, hehehe, now that’s funny.” Kazumi says covering her mouth as she giggles.

            “Who is it?” A woman’s voice asks through the door.

            “Or maybe not.” Kirisu says.

            “We have a boy here, he says he lives here, are you going to open up?” Yumi asks.

            “I have no children.” The woman replies.

                        Yumi looks at the boy, then looking back at the door and says. “Lady, if you don’t open up I’ll break the door down.”

            “…… Alright… I’ll open up.” The woman says as she opens the door; she is a woman in her mid-thirties with brown shoulder long hair and dark brown eyes dressed with antique clothing, much like medieval times. The woman looks at the boy and then looks at the party.

            “That boy disappeared a few days ago, where’d you find him?” The woman asks.

            “He came running out of the forest completely frightened, he said something of the Beldam when I asked him.” Yumi answers.

            “! SHHHH, we don’t mention that name here! Come inside.” The woman whispers.

            “Huh?” Kirisu tilts his head.

                        The party walks in and the woman quickly closes the door and locks it with a wooden trunk. She quickly guides the party to the living room, the house is in the same conditions as the door, in fact, the whole village is kind of the same. There are some couches in poor conditions where the party sits.

            “I’m sorry, but my name is Sarah.” She says.

            “I’m Yumi, this here is Kazumi and he’s Kirisu.” Yumi says pointing out at the party.

            “Question, why did you freak out when Yumi mentioned the Beldam?” Kirisu asks.

            “SHH, like I said, we don’t mention that name here.” Sarah whispers.

            “Sorry, but can you tell us why?” Kirisu asks whispering.

            “You see, young people and children have been disappearing from here.” Sarah replies.

            “We were already told by a man that brought us here.” Yumi says.

            “A man?” Sarah asks.

            “Yes, the captain of a ship, a man with a beard named Rick.” Yumi responds.

            “He told you this?” Sarah asks.

            “Yeah, who is he?” Yumi asks.

            “He used to live here for some time, used bring us supplies from the city and fresh fish from the sea, but since he saw the… Beldam… he freaked out and never came back, he always was a coward, not like we’re any different.” Sarah explains.

            “Who is the Beldam anyways?” Yumi asks.

            “There are rumors; I don’t know, I haven’t seen her for sure.” Sarah replies.

            “So it’s a woman?” Kazumi asks.

            “It’s one of the rumors; they say she lives far deep in the woods where she cooks young children for supper.” Sarah says.

            “That’s horrible!” Kazumi says shocked.

            “The rumors have it that she can only survives by feeding on the young ones.” Sarah says.

            “Yeah right, I mean, what if she eats all the kids, she’ll die right?” Kirisu asks.

            “That’s the thing, she eats at least only a handful of kids every year, by that time the people of the village would have more children.” Sarah replies.

            “Then have the people here thought of having no kids at all?” Kirisu asks.

            “People have tried, but it’s not as simple as to restraint yourself from such whim.” Sarah answers.

            “I get it, can’t have enough sex.” Kirisu says with a smirk.

            “Kirisu!” Kazumi says annoyed.

            “Sorry, sorry, I have another question though, I can’t help myself to ask, but why are you all dressed that way? And why does the village look so… rundown.” Kirisu asks boldly.

            “This is a small village, we don’t have such funds or wealth to be picky of how we dress, and since the Beldam appeared we’ve been afraid and isolated ourselves home, hardly ever seeing the daylight, we can’t leave due to the same problem, money.” Sarah explains.

            “And where is this boy’s mother?” Yumi asks.

            “His mother passed away just a few days ago, she couldn’t bear the thought of her son being eaten by the Beldam and she took her own life… Poor woman… I understand how she felt; I too lost my daughter to the Beldam…” Sarah weeps full of tears after she mentions her daughter’s death. “Oh my sweet Caroline…”

            “I’m sorry…” Yumi says.

            “What are we going to do with the boy?” Kazumi asks.

            “You can let him stay here, I’m so lonely now, I’m sure that’s what his mother would have wanted.” Sarah says.

            “What’s his name?” Kazumi asks.

            “Tommy.” Sarah replies.

            “So that’s his name, he was so scared when he came out of the woods, like if something or someone was chasing him.” Kazumi mentions.

            “……” Sarah lowers her head.

            “I think we should pay a little visit to the Beldam.” Yumi says.

            “No! You must not! She’s dangerous! She might devour you as well!” Sarah says desperately.

            “I don’t think so, don’t worry ma’am, we’ll be back in a while, so you just wait.” Yumi says standing up from the couch.

            “I implore you to reconsider! You shouldn’t be acting all brave, this is no joke!” Sarah insists.

            “I’m not joking either, so wait here.” Yumi says.

                        The rest of the party stands up and walks to the door, Sarah runs after the party and grabs Yumi’s left arm.

            “Please! I’m begging you! Don’t go!” Sarah begs.

            “Let go of me lady, I’m not going to say it twice, you just zip it and take care of little Tommy.” Yumi says.

                        Sarah lets go of Yumi’s arm and stares at the party with anguish as they head east along the forest trail.

            “……”Sarah lowers her head.

                        The party walks the dirt trail; the trail is full of rocks, as they walk in deeper and deeper in the forest it gets even paler and darker, the sun almost setting.

            “Damn, how long do we have to keep walking?” Kirisu asks wiping some sweat off his forehead.

            “I didn’t think it would be so deep.” Kazumi says panting slightly.

                        As they keep walking they notice the trees are dry as they walk in deeper, crows can be seen flying around and some on the dry trees branches. It’s already nighttime and a cloud of mist covers the ground, the mist gets thicker and thicker.

            “Whoa! I can’t see you guys!” Kirisu says.

            “Huh? The fog is too thick, Kazumi, where are you?” Yumi asks.

                        There is no response from Kazumi whatsoever.

            “Kazumi!” Kirisu shouts trying to look through the fog.

            “I think she got lost.” Yumi comments.

            “Damn it!” Kirisu says angrily.

                        As Yumi and Kirisu search for Kazumi, Kazumi walks lost in the woods also looking for Yumi and Kirisu.

            “Oh no, I can’t find them!” Kazumi says.

            “Calm down, I think they’re looking for us already.” Faye remarks.

            “Yeah, stupid fog and we kept walking too.” Kazumi says shaking her head.

            “It’s partly your fault.” Faye says.

            “It’s true…” Kazumi lowers he head.

            “Let’s keep looking, maybe we’ll find them first.” Faye suggests as she floats around Kazumi.

            “Okay.” Kazumi nods.

                        Kazumi keeps walking through the dark woods, until she hears a humming woman’s voice from afar, it’s a gentle voice.

            “You hear that?” Faye asks.

            “Yeah, looks like we’re near a house.” Kazumi answers.

            “Let’s go!” Faye says flying ahead.

                        As Faye and Kazumi keep walking a pointy branch cuts Kazumi’s right arm a little.

            “Oww!” Kazumi says quickly pressing hard her cut.

            “What happened?” Faye asks worried.

            “A branch scratched me a little on my arm.” Kazumi replies.

            “Ohh… It’s bleeding!” Faye says still worried.

            “It’s alright, let’s keep going.” Kazumi says.

                        As they walk the mist ceases and the humming can be heard even louder, they can suddenly smell the fragrance of flowers.

            “Ohh, it smells so nice.” Kazumi says sniffing.

            “Yeah, look! Flowers!” Faye says flying ahead again.

                        They can see a small trail of beautiful flowers of all colors and many cherry blossom trees in full bloom, it is suddenly very bright, a sun shimming pale, there are many love birds singing, it all leads to a big beautiful light pink, red and white house with three floors and a tower attic on the top.

            “It’s sooo beautiful!!!” Kazumi says staring at the house almost hypnotized.

            “The house has tasty colors!” Faye comments.

                        They swiftly rush at the door of the house, Kazumi and Faye sniffs and say. “Smells good!”

            “Like meat.” Faye says.

            “More like chicken!” Kazumi comments.

                        The door suddenly opens, a slender woman dressed in a red kimono with pink cherry blossom designs and white border sleeves and stomach wrapping, she also has red, pink and white stripe sox’s, and her hair is grayish purple with white highlights tied up on her head with one small stick on each end and one in the middle. One is white; the other is pink and the other red, the rest of her hair dropping behind her back. She has long white fingernails with gray flower designs in the middle; she also has a few silver rings on her fingers. She has natural lipstick color with long thin light fluorescent purple eyes with a mole on the corner under her left eye staring sharply and calmly at Kazumi and Faye.

            “I’ve been waiting for you dear, come inside, you don’t want to catch a cold, are you hungry?” The woman asks in a friendly manner.

            “Uhh, no, thank you.” Kazumi answers.

                        Kazumi’s stomach begins to growl and she blushes of embarrassment, the woman giggles with her right hand on her mouth.

            “Hungry, aren’t you?” The woman asks with a smile.

                        The woman smiling rests her head on her right hand while resting her right arm on her left hand.

            “You seem hurt; let me put a band aid on that arm of your sweetheart.” The woman says taking out a band aid box next to the door, she then applies the band aid on Kazumi’s cut.

            “Oh, thanks.” Kazumi says.

            “It’s nothing.” The woman says warmly.

                        Meanwhile Yumi and Kirisu still lost in the woods with mist, Kirisu is like crazy swinging his sword all over slicing some branches really mad.

            “D****t!” Kirisu swings. “D****t!” Kirisu swings again. “D****t!” Kirisu swings yet again.

                        His third swing almost hitting Yumi and she quickly shouts. “Watch it stupid s**t!”

            “Touché.” A male voice says.

                        Kirisu and Yumi start looking everywhere searching to see where the voice came from.

            “What the crap?” Kirisu asks looking around.

            “Up here you two.” The male voice says.

                        Yumi and Kirisu look up only to see a jet black Xordanian shorthair cat with bright green eyes with a red collar and a silver bell hanging from the collar licking his paw, the cat stops licking his paw and stares at the Yumi and Kirisu. The party still wary keeps looking around up on the trees.

            “It’s me.” The male voice says irritated.

                        Yumi and Kirisu are surprised to see that the one actually talking is none other than the cat on the branch.

            “A talking cat?” Yumi asks amazed.

            “How long have you been watching us?” Kirisu asks.

            “Not long.” The cat replies.

            “Have you seen a girl with orange hair and cat ears around?” Yumi asks.

            “Maybe.” The cat replies still licking his paw.

            “Where the hell is she!?” Kirisu asks furiously.

            “I’ll never tell you where she is now.” The cat says leaping off the branch onto the ground and starts to run through the forest.

            “Wait a damn minute!” Kirisu shouts.

                        Yumi and Kirisu start chasing the cat.

            “Damn, I think we lost him!” Kirisu says annoyed.

            “No, we haven’t, listen to the bell of his collar.” Yumi says.

                        The bell can be heard from a distance.

            “Hey, you’re right, let’s go!” Kirisu says.

                        They chase after the sound of the bell through the woods until they see the flowers and trees as well as the house. They spot the cat going in the house through a small hole in the main door.

            “Huh? It’s already daytime?” Yumi asks confused.

            “There he is!” Kirisu points out.

                        As they rush to the house, Kazumi sits on the kitchen table as well as Faye, the woman is in front of the oven and says. “We have guests.”

                        Kazumi looks out of the window of the kitchen to see Yumi and Kirisu running at the house.

            “It’s my friends!” Kazumi says relieved.

                        Kazumi and Faye rapidly run at the door, opens it and steps outside.

            “Kazumi!” Kirisu says surprised.

            “What are you doing here?” Yumi asks.

            “Ohh, you’re finally here! You guys have to meet her! She’s just perfect! She’s such a kind hearted person!” Kazumi says excited.

            “Yeah!” Faye nods cheerfully.

            “Who?” Yumi asks.

            “You’ll see.” Kazumi says even more excited.

                        They all go inside, walk to the kitchen and see the table full of delicious food and deserts; the woman smiles warmly at the group.

            “Guys, this is Ms. Blair.” Kazumi says.

            “Nice to meet you.” Blair giggles.

            “Whoa! Talking about warm welcome.” Kirisu says staring at all the food.

            “Why don’t you all sit down and eat, you must be starving.” Blair says joyfully.

            “Wait a minute, what’s happening here?” Yumi asks.

            “What do you mean? Don’t be rude, she made food for us to eat!” Kazumi says.

            “……There was a cat that came in here, where is he?” Yumi asks.

            “Oh, you mean Salen? He must be around playing with his favorite thread.” Blair comments.

            “The cat knew where Kazumi was and didn’t tell us, he just came running over here.” Yumi says.

            “Oh, don’t mind him, he’s a very naughty one, let’s just sit down and have super.” Blair says smiling.

                        The party sits down, Yumi still wary of the whole situation, they begin to eat all the chicken and drank the wine, when they finish they start eating the deserts, it’s some kind of sweet glowing Jell-O.

            “Best food I’ve had in the past few weeks!” Kirisu says slapping his stomach.

            “Hmmm!” Faye smiles.

            “Your cooking is the best!” Kazumi remarks.

            “……” Yumi stares at Blair.

            “Now that we’re all finished why don’t I show you around the house?” Blair suggests.

            “That’s a great idea!” Faye says with her mouth full.

            “Wonderful!” Kazumi says excited.

                        Blair keeps a warm smile all the time even though Yumi is still acting cold. As they walk around the house Yumi and Kirisu are walking behind Blair, Kazumi and Faye.

            “Kirisu.” Yumi says.

            “Yeah?” Kirisu asks.

            “There’s something strange in this house, I feel like I’m being watched, intimidated as well… I can’t really put my finger on it.” Yumi says.

            “I get what you mean, I feel it too.” Kirisu says.

            “And these paintings on the walls, they feel so-” Yumi is cut off by Kirisu. “Ominous.”

            “Yeah.” Yumi nods.

                        They follow Blair to the attic tower part of the big house. Kirisu swiftly notices an antique rapier lying on a corner.

            “Nice rapier, must’ve cost a fortune!” Kirisu remarks.

            “Well actually no, it’s a long story.” Blair says.

            “Oh ok.” Kirisu nods.

            “Anyways, this is my favorite place of this house, it’s beautiful, look.” Blair opens the curtain of the big window, there is a perfect view of the surrounding, a lot of trees and flowers everywhere, the sea can be seen very far in the distance.

            “Oh my God!” Kazumi says almost speechless.

            “Unbelievable!” Faye says amazed.

            “Great view.” Kirisu comments.

            “Strange, I thought it there were a lot of dry trees, I can’t see any now.” Yumi states.

            “They’re too far away to see dear.” Blair says.

            “Then how come we can see the ocean from here?” Yumi asks.

            “Then you must have a very good eye sight.” Blair comments.

            “If I have good eye sight, then why can’t I see the dried up trees?” Yumi asks.

            “Then your eyes can be deceiving you love.” Blair says.

            “……” Yumi narrows her eyes.

                        The party as well as Blair heads down to the first floor, Kazumi and Faye split up with the rest to keep sightseeing. Kirisu and Yumi suddenly notice Blair is standing right in front of them without Kazumi and Faye.

            “What’s up?” Kirisu asks.

            “Ohh, I was wondering what you were talking about earlier when passing by the hallways with the paintings, what did you think of them?” Blair asks.

            “We were talking about how beautiful those paintings are.” Yumi says calmly.

            “Yeah, they’re great.” Kirisu nods.

            “I’m happy you liked them; care to join me in the living room?” Blair asks.

            “Sure.” Kirisu nods.

            “Where’s Kazumi and Faye?” Yumi asks.

            “Oh, they’re around the house, nothing to worry about.” Blair replies.

            “Okay…” Yumi narrows her eyes again.

                        Kazumi and Faye are on the second floor still surprised at the house.

            “I can stay here forever!” Faye remarks.

            “Yeah, it’s just perfect!” Kazumi nods.

                        They keep walking around, but they notice something is strange.

            “I’m not really sure, but I think we just passed this same drawer.” Kazumi says looking at a purple drawer in the middle of the hallway.

            “We did.” Faye says.

            “Hmmm…” Kazumi ponders.

                        They walk around again a few times at strangely enough end up in the same place as the drawer.

            “We’ve been seeing this same drawer a billion times already!” Faye says annoyed.

            “I don’t know what’s going on; let’s look for the stairs to join the others.” Kazumi says.

            “Right!” Faye nods.

                        As they search for the stairs Kirisu and Yumi sit down on the purple couch of the living room as well as Blair, they look around at everything, but out of all the things that are in the living room what really stands out is a looming shiny crystal ornament on the top part of the chimney.

            “I like the pendant on your fireplace.” Yumi comments.

            “You have a good eye for jewelry.” Blair says crossing her legs.

            “I mostly liked that rapier you have up in the attic.” Kirisu says.

            “Yes…” Blair says.

            “Do you like swords too?” Kirisu asks.

            “I’m not particularly fond of using weapons, but I do like the sight of them.” Blair answers.

            “Then maybe you’ll like my sword!” Kirisu says taking out his sword and shows it to Blair.

            “No, you should put that away! You might harm someone!” Blair says desperately.

            “No, no, it’s alright, I know how to use it among other swords, hehe.” Kirisu comments.

                        Yumi out of boredom smirks looking at Kirisu’s sword when she is suddenly surprised to see Blair and the house on the reflection of Kirisu’s sword, for an instant she sees the house all dark and rundown with the only object really standing out is the ornament on the chimney and Blair’s old and ugly face full of wickedness. Yumi widens her eyes, Blair quickly noticing and asking. “What’s wrong dear?”

            “Kirisu, we have to get out of here.” Yumi says standing up from the couch.

            “Huh? Why?” Kirisu asks.

            “Where’s Kazumi?” Yumi asks coldly.

            “You don’t have to leave so soon love.” Blair says.

            “Yes we do and we will.” Yumi says grabbing Kirisu’s arm and heading up the stairs to find Kazumi and Faye, Blair with a blank expression stays in the first floor.

            “What’s going on?” Kirisu asks.

            “It’s Blair; she isn’t the person you think.” Yumi replies.

            “So she’s not the stripper I thought I saw at a bar a few years back?” Kirisu asks.

            “This is serious; we have to find Kazumi and Faye.” Yumi says.

            “I still don’t get it, but okay, let’s look for them and get out.” Kirisu shrugs his shoulders.

                        The cat, Salen suddenly appears and jumps on a decorated altar with a flower bud.

            “Hey! It’s that cat again!” Kirisu says pointing at Salen.

            “Salen right? Is your master the Beldam?” Yumi asks.

            “Maybe she is or maybe she isn’t.” Salen replies.

            “Come on, give me a straight answer!” Yumi demands.

            “The answer isn’t the problem.” Salen says.

            “You lost me…” Kirisu says.

            “Is this whole house an illusion? What’s real?” Yumi asks.

            “Maybe the illusion is reality or reality is the illusion.” Salen says.

            “Stop throwing freaking riddles like that damned cat from wonderland!” Kirisu shouts annoyed.

            “Last question before I snap your neck, where the hell is Faye and Kazumi?” Yumi asks.

            “They are farther and closer than you might think.” Salen answers.

            “Why don’t you help us?” Kirisu asks.

            “She’s always watching…” Salen whispers.

                        Salen jumps off the altar and walks to the north hallway, but as he jumps the bell on his collar falls. Kirisu notices the bell and picks it up.

            “Look, he dropped this.” Kirisu says.

            “Last time the bell helped us find Kazumi and Faye; maybe it’ll help us again as well.” Yumi remarks.

                        Yumi and Kirisu start walking searching for Kazumi and Faye once again, Kazumi and Faye still lost suddenly hear the bell Yumi is carrying and start walking towards that direction, but Blair suddenly appears in front of them.

            “Are you lost?” Blair asks.

            “Thank goodness I found you, I was so very lost, me and Faye in fact.” Kazumi says with relief.

            “You don’t have to worry now, I’m with you, let’s go to the living room to have a cup of tea.” Blair says.

            “Sure.” Kazumi smiles.

            “This place is like a maze!” Faye states.

            “Yes, indeed it is a big house.” Blair says.

            “Don’t you feel lonely here?” Kazumi asks.

            “No, the children of the village come here to play once in a while.” Blair comments.

            “You mean the children that disappeared?” Kazumi asks.

            “Yes, I heard the rumors.” Blair answers with sadness in her voice.

            “Yeah, that the Beldam ate them.” Faye says.

            “Oh please, don’t say such horrible things like that.” Blair says.

            “Sorry.” Faye says sitting on Kazumi’s shoulder.

            “Where’s Yumi and Kirisu?” Kazumi asks.

            “Oh, they’re around the house sightseeing.” Blair responds.

                        They go down to the same living room while Yumi and Kirisu are still searching.

            “I feel Kazumi’s presence even if faintly, she’s in the first floor.” Kirisu says.

            “We have to hurry, before the Beldam tricks her and eats her and Faye.” Yumi says.

            “Wait a minute, I have a better idea!” Kirisu says as he raises his right hand, but nothing happens.

            “What’s your idea?” Yumi asks.

            “Ummm… I’m trying to make my dark spears to break hell in this house, but it’s not working…” Kirisu says with a blank stare.

            “What do you mean it’s not working?” Yumi asks in disbelief.

            “I can’t call them.” Kirisu replies.

                        Yumi raises her right hand slightly, but nothing happens as well.

            “Huh?” Yumi tilts her head.

            “Nothing right?” Kirisu asks.

            “I can’t use any of my powers…” Yumi says shocked.

            “Same here.” Kirisu says.

            “Damn.” Yumi says angrily.

            “What’s happening? Why can’t we use our powers?” Kirisu asks.

            “Hell if I know.” Yumi answers.

            “What do we do now?” Kirisu asks.

            “We go to the first floor and get Kazumi and Faye!” Yumi says.

                        They rush down the stairs and see Blair and Kazumi sitting in the living room while Faye examines the ornament.

            “Guys! You’re back!” Kazumi says cheerfully.
                        Kirisu and Yumi hastily draw their weapons.

            “What’s going on?” Faye asks.

            “Get away from Blair, she’s tricking us!” Yumi says.

            “What do you mean?” Kazumi asks.

            “She’s the Beldam!” Yumi says.

            “That’s impossible; she’s so sweet and charming.” Kazumi says standing between Blair and the party.

            “I guess that would attract all the kids to her am I right?” Kirisu asks.

            “It must be a misunderstanding!” Kazumi says.

            “Who are you going to believe, us or that woman you just met a few hours ago?” Yumi asks.

                        Kazumi looks at Blair and asks. “Is it true?”

            “Oh no, I’m not the Beldam; I’m just a woman that lives alone here in the woods.” Blair answers.

            “You see.” Kazumi looks back at the party.

                        Blair suddenly looks to where Faye is and shouts. “Don’t get near the ornament!”

            “Which ornament?” Faye asks, a little startled by Blair’s reaction hits the ornament by accident and causes it to fall and shatter into pieces.

            “Noooooooo!” Blair yells.

                        The house suddenly loses its colors and reverts to the dark rundown house Yumi saw in Kirisu’s sword reflection, Blair as well reverts back to a very old and very ugly woman, she changes completely, and the only quality that remains is her color of hair and eyes as well as her mole which turns completely big and disgusting, her mouth is very wide and big, her voice completely changes, it’s that of a monster, the whole party yells at the sight of this monster at the same time. “Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!”

            “Look what you’ve done you puny humans!!” Blair shouts.

                        Kazumi draws her twin guns and tries to fire, but her bullets don’t come out with the power they normally do.

            “Looks like we still can’t use our powers.” Kirisu says.

            “We’ll have to chop her into pieces then!” Yumi says coldly.

                        Yumi and Kirisu attacks, but she is way too fast, Blair moves at a high speed, she speedily punches Yumi to the wall breaking it in the process, Kirisu keeps fighting her, but it ss too difficult to fight in such small space.

            “Uhh, that b***h!” Yumi says annoyed.

            “You mean witch.” Salen comments.

                        Salen appears out of the blue.

            “If you’re just going to throw riddles you can kiss your a*s good bye!” Yumi says.

            “Actually, I’m not here for that.” Salen says.

            “Then what for?” Yumi asks.

            “I feel some strange power from you; it’s so familiar that I think you can use your powers if you try hard enough.” Salen explains.

            “Oh really?” Yumi asks.

            “Maybe.” Salen answers.

            “There you go again.” Yumi shakes her head.

            “Heh.” Salen smiles.

            “Why are you helping us?” Yumi asks warily.

            “Why indeed.” Salen answers.

            “Uhhh.” Yumi shakes her head again.

                        Yumi then suddenly let out a huge amount of Spirit Force that breaks the house into pieces.

            “Whoa!” Kirisu widens his eyes in surprise.

                        Its nighttime, the moon is bright, the flowers and trees are all weathered away, the love birds are actually crows, it’s all an illusion and the house base is actually on a weird big pitch black stone.

            “What is that stone?” Yumi asks.

            “It’s the stone that’s sealing your powers, it’s almost unbreakable.” Salen says.

            “Then if it seals our powers, why aren’t hers sealed?” Yumi asks.

            “Oh, hers are sealed as well as she’s on that stone, but since she’s not on that’s stone now she can use her powers, unlike you that are still standing on it.” Salen explains.

            “Damn, then let the witch hunt begin!” Yumi says swiftly rushing towards Blair; Blair evades many of Yumi’s attacks, but Yumi also evades her attacks, Blair makes the rapier that was on the attic now on the ground float with magic and makes it attack Yumi. Yumi gets cut a few times, Yumi then grabs the rapier forcibly and lightens it up with light elemental powers and throws it directly at an incredible speed towards Blair. Blair is barely able to evade this, so it scratches her face, when Blair pays attention to Yumi again it is too late, Yumi is nowhere to be seen, Yumi suddenly tackles Blair so hard that centers her in the middle of the black stone, then making a huge sword of light from her own taking advantage that Blair is stunned and makes a vertical slash that engraves and indirectly seals Blair in the black stone.

            “You damned kids! I’ll get you for this! Salen! Where are you? Help me out!” Blair says furiously.

                        Salen walks on top of the black stone.

            “Yes! Help me!” Blair says.

            “I don’t think it would be convenient for me to do that in front of these people and it certainly won’t be convenient to let you out as well, plus I can’t anyways, I’m just a cat.” Salen states.

            “You’re going to betray me again? After you released the boy I gave you a second chance and this is how you repay me?!” Blair asks angrily.

            “Survival of the fittest witch.” Salen says.

            “So you freed that little boy?” Yumi asks.

            “Indeed.” Salen nods.

            “I guess you aren’t as bad as I thought.” Kirisu comments.

            “You on the other hand are worse than I thought.” Salen remarks.

            “Why you little!” Kirisu says annoyed.

            “Leave him alone Kirisu, he’s just a cat.” Yumi says picking up Salen and leaves with the party leaving Blair scream for the rest of her life sealed away.

            “Question, if everything was an illusion in the house, does that include the food?” Kirisu asks.

            “I’m afraid to say that you’re not mistaken, the meat you ate was children flesh, the wine you drank was their blood and the shiny Jell-O was their souls.” Salen explains.

                        Kazumi turns around and vomits on the ground.

            “I’m probably going to hell for this, but here goes, it was pretty damn good.” Kirisu comments.

                        Kazumi punches Kirisu very hard that he ends up slamming his head on a tree. “Owww!”

            “You aren’t joking right Salen?” Yumi asks.

            “No I’m not.” Salen answers.

            “That’s messed up.” Yumi says shaking her head.

                        The party reaches the village and walks towards Sarah’s house, they knock the door. Sarah open and sees the party a little bruised from the fight.

            “Oh my God what happened?” Sarah asks.

            “I killed the Beldam.” Yumi says.

            “Really?” Sarah asks.

                        Yumi nods and Sarah falls on her knees crying, Tommy comes to see what’s happening and sees Salen.

            “You’re the talking cat that helped me escape!” Tommy says.

            “Yes.” Salen nods.

            “We should go; I think Mr. Rick waited too long.” Faye says.

            “Yeah, let’s go.” Kirisu says.

            “Bless you!” Sarah says.

                        Yumi smiles warmly and leaves with the party, but before leaving the village she puts Salen on the ground.

            “I guess this is good bye Salen.” Yumi says.

            “Maybe.” Salen says.

            “Hahaha.” Yumi chuckles.

            “Let’s hurry.” Kazumi says.

                        Yumi bends down and kisses Salen on his forehead.

            “Bye.” Yumi says walking away.

            “Hehehe.” Salen laughs.

                        The party walks back to the ship through the stone path, they see the captain sitting on the ramp, he then notices the party.

            “You finally made it back safely! Is everyone okay? You guys sure took your sweet time.” Rick says.

            “Yeah, everyone’s just fine; I was able to kill the Beldam.” Yumi says.

                        The captain sheds a tear.

            “Thank you; I don’t know how to repay you for your kindness.” Rick says wiping off his tear.

            “Just keep your end of the bargain and take us free to the south.” Yumi says.

            “Yes ma’am! All aboard!” Rick says.

                        Everyone gets on the ship, it sets sail to the south, Yumi goes out to the deck looking as the island gets farther and farther away.

            “I’m missing it already.” Yumi grins.

            “Touché.” A male voice says.

            “Huh?” Yumi looks next to her feet and notices Salen is on the ship.

            “Whaaaaat!!” Yumi asks shocked.

            “Hahaha.” Salen laughs.


© 2013 Shin


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

awesome chap, salem is badass!, i am interested on what Yumi's powers are, keep up man, it drive the reader in more and more, this chap was darker than the rest lulz it's awesome XD, keep it up

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

327 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 19, 2010
Last Updated on July 15, 2013

Elemental Ascension


Author

Shin
Shin

Hartford, CT



About
I love to write and draw, not much other than that. Elemental Ascension creation date: September 10th, 2004 Contest Awards: A New Fantasy Era Contest: 1st - Elemental Ascension - Jul 19, 201.. more..

Writing
Chapter 03: Origin Chapter 03: Origin

A Chapter by Shin