To the Sea

To the Sea

A Story by Willy Blake
"

Years later, they reminisce.

"

 

There was a time when their energy together snapped blue sparks in thin air. Echoes of their hearts pounding were heard for years after. Raw youthful lust and togetherness.  Now strangers in different skins, they sat on a couch looking at pictures.
 
“We were something, eh?” he says.
 
“Yes, we were,” she chuckles and points out the big window, “don’t you like the view?”
 
“It is beautiful,” he says. “You’ve got the ocean and the boats right out front and the mountains out back. How can you lose?”
 
He puts his finger on one of the photos and sighs, “Oh god, I miss that farmhouse.”
 
“We had fun there. And you were so jealous? You thought I was sleeping with everyone.”
 
“I loved you so much. I guess I was a little crazy.”
 
“A little crazy?” She laughs, then fumbles in the box beside her and pulls out another album. This one is big and red with gold trim. She opens it and passes it to him. Then she grabs hold of the arm of her wheel chair and wrestles her way into it.
 
“Need some help?” he offers.
 
“I do this everyday on my own. I’m fine thank you,” she growls and then gently, “Want something to drink? I’m having a good stiff glass of port.”
 
“Mmm, not this time.”
 
Everything is quiet. Serene. She finishes her drink quickly and pours another. Ships coast past in the harbor. The cat finds a comfortable place on the window sill. Sun beams in.
 
“Why did you leave?”
 
“What do you mean?” He does not look up.
 
It is quiet for a longer while before glass crashes against a bright yellow kitchen wall. Bits and pieces scatter on the counter and on to the floor. Port splatters and drips down from the point of contact. He looks at the wall, then at her. “You still have a strong arm.”
 
She ignores him. “What do I mean? Why did you f*****g leave? Not a note. Not a word. Just your stuff gone!”
 
“It was a long time ago. Things were different. You know what we were like,” he says.
 
“Yah, I know what you were like. You went off with that young b***h.”
 
“Easy, now.”
 
“And left me flat. Such… an a*****e.” She trembles as she speaks.
 
“You were no angel, either.”
 
She gets another glass, pours another drink. Tears well up. She swallows, bites her lip and waits. It is quiet and serene for a while again. “So you like my place? I’m really glad you came, you know. It’s been so long.”
 
He flips the page and smiles, “We were something, eh?”

© 2008 Willy Blake


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

To the Sea has been very well written...unfortunately this is real life for far too many. Enjoyed very much! Holly

Posted 15 Years Ago


I loved the dialouge between the two ... Wonderfully written, I felt like I was there and couldn't help but feel a sense of sadness too ... Hope there will be more :)

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

112 Views
2 Reviews
Added on July 28, 2008
Last Updated on August 1, 2008

Author

Willy Blake
Willy Blake

Toronto, Canada



About
What is truth? Sure, stick your head in the blender and you�ll likely become part smoothie, but essentially human experience is fiction. One person in a wheel chair sees the morning with j.. more..

Writing