Operation Paintbrush

Operation Paintbrush

A Story by Kayja Symphious
"

Part one of a short story about five boys that hear a rumor that women are posing nude at a college art class. They must find out if it's true. PG13 Mild language and suggestive themes.

"

Jeremy Davis got his nickname "Piggy" in the normal traditions of sixth grade logic. A skinny kid by nature, his nickname didn't seem to make any sense. However, when something struck him as funny, no more justification was needed.


His family and friends all lived in town, which was fortunate. If he had ever laughed while in the countryside, he would have surely been seen as a rival boar. They would have chased him throughout the pastures, snarling at his heals. If he did manage to escape the boars, he would still have to deal with the sows. Heaven only knows what his nickname would have if that happened.


It didn't, of course, and his name was always Piggy. He was the leader of a group of five boys, all around the same age. The bonds they shared began in the melting pot known as middle school where, it so happens, they all shared homeroom together.


Two of the boys, Mark "Curby" Seymour and David "Flunk" Andrews met in grade school. Flunk was a year older than the other boys cause he failed third grade, hence his nickname. As for Curby, he had bad luck with bike tires. They always went flat on him. When an adventure required pedal power, it was a sure bet that at some point he would be sitting at the side of the road yelling every cuss word he knew. He would even come up with some new ones; chepeshit and duliflop, to name a few.


Morton "Peek" Williams and Justin "Ham" Higgins rounded out the group. Ham got his name when Piggy dropped his ham sandwich in the cafeteria. He couldn't believe Piggy wasn't going to pick it back up. "Your just gonna leave it... and go hungry?" Piggy looked at him confused. " Are you telling me you would eat that?" Justin thought about it for a moment, "If I was hungry enough, I would." A smile came across Piggy's face, "I will give you fifty cents, if you eat it right now." A group of kids gathered around, anticipating the outcome. They knew Justin never liked backing down from a challenge. "Make it three dollars and I'll do it!" They haggled on the price, while the sandwich laid on the floor. They soon settled on a price of one dollar and a can of Pepsi. They shook on it, and Justin picked up the sandwich and ate it. Opening his mouth while chewing, just to gross everyone out even more. From that day on, he was called Ham.


The group sat near the back row in homeroom. It was the best place to be. The only place that would have been better was outside, far away from the desks and Mrs. Miller's scary face. The boys gave her the nickname Goodyear, cause the wrinkles on her face looked like a tire tread. There was a rumor that she was hit by a car when she was a kid, but that's all it was. Add her glasses into the mix, and there could be no doubt what the three billy goats gruff were frightened of.


 She would drone on and on about the lesson of the day, and Piggy came to the conclusion that even time got tired listening to her. He would look up at the clock as soon as he entered the room. Then he would look up at it when he thought half an hour had passed, only to see that ten minutes had gone by.


To the left of Piggy sat Morton. He did all he could to stay awake, or at least look like he was staying awake. He was a master of the time honored tradition of propping an open book in front of his face, while sleeping behind it. Of course, this didn't fool Mrs. Miller, or any teacher for that matter, but it seems they decided to overlook this lie sometimes. In truth, the teachers were probably more worried when Morton was alert. That's when he had a plan in mind. One such plan, earned him the nickname Peek.


It was May, summer fever was creeping in, and Morton was full of energy. He couldn't keep his leg from bouncing on the ball of his foot and he had a smile that reeked of mischief. Flunk was quite amused by this and asked him, "The hell is wrong with you man?" This question got the attention of the rest of the group. Ham and Curby, who was sitting front of Morton and Piggy, turned around.


All attention was given to Morton, and they would not be disappointed. Morton displayed a crazy smile and said, "I heard some eighth graders talking in the hall this morning." 


Curby's eyes went wide with astonishment. "What? How did you even get close to them?"


It was a valid question. In the world of adolescents, being two years older gives great power. It was quite common for eighth graders to threaten and push the younger kids around.


"I don't know, I guess they didn't see me, but listen to this." All the boys looked up at Goodyear to make sure she wasn't looking at them, then they drew in close to Morton. "I heard that Underhill College has an art program..." They heard a sound and they were forced to look up again, double checking the situation. Then Morton went on, "Underhill College has an art program where girls pose nude!" "What!"


Ham said it so loud, all of them became scared. They were quick to straighten up in their chairs and hope Goodyear wouldn't look at them. Their hopes were dashed when she turned around. " What seems to be the problem Justin?" Even though the boys were in fear, they were still amused to see Ham struggle for an answer.


All the kids in the class were looking at poor Ham. He knew that his answer better be related the lesson, cause it was doubtful Mrs. Miller would be impressed about nude girls posing in an art class. "Ummmm..." His eyes darted around the room, grouping for anything that might have some value. They landed on a word written on the blackboard: Geography. "I had no idea that Canada was so close to... Africa."


As soon as he said it, he wished he hadn't. Laugher roared all around him as he tried to figure out what made him say Africa. From the look on Mrs. Miller's face, she was thinking the same thing. After getting the kids to settle down, she gave a suggestion, (more of an order) that he should sit in the front row for the rest of the year.


After time woke up and released them from the horror that was Mrs. Miller's room, the boys gathered in the hall. It was the only class they had together, and it was decided that the nude girls conversation would have to wait till lunch period.


Flunk and Piggy had biology next, which seemed appropriate for some reason. Curby had math next, while Ham and Morton got to run off their anxious energy in gym class. None of them could wait for lunch. It seemed to take forever to come.


During that time, Piggy tried to figure out the best plan for them to sneak into the college. The logistics were nightmarish. They would have to go during a school day. That was a must. Piggy was quite sure the college wasn't open during the weekends, but that wasn't much of a problem. He was sure all the boys would be willing to skip school for a chance to witness nude college girls.


The real problem was getting there. Underhill's campus was on the far side of town. It stood as an impenetrable fortress in his mind. First, they would have to get clear across town, while evading adults. Taking the main roads was out of the question. Then they would have to cross a campus that would be teeming with college kids. If the eighth graders were to be considered mean; college kids would be the epitome of evil. After all that, they would have to get inside the building and locate the art room. That was the scariest part, being inside a strange building, with countless evil college students... and teachers. Was it worth it? Absolutely! Just one thing needed to be confirmed, was the information Morton heard correct?


Piggy inquired about this at lunch. "So do you know who said it." Morton leaned in, prompting the rest of the group to do the same. "I heard it from Mike Gilliam. He was talking to one of his friends about his older brother. Apparently his older brother takes classes at Underhill, and Mike heard him talking on the phone to one of his friends. He said that he overheard his older brother bragging, on the phone, that he saw some girl named April posing nude in art class."


Every mouth at the table was open. They didn't know who this April person was, but it didn't matter. She was a nude goddess; a perfect specimen of the unseen female form, and they would be crazy not to attempt seeing her. It was decided, right then and there, that they would find a way.


Piggy had been working on that problem since homeroom let out, and by the time lunch came around, he was ready with a plan. "Ok then, here's what we're going to do. Since it's near the end of the school year, our parents might believe that Mrs. Miller gave us a group project to work on. It would be due before the last week of school."


They all looked on in admiration as Piggy told them his plan. "Now, when we get home today, we need to complain to our parents about this assignment." Curby wondered what the assignment would be, and Piggy didn't quite know that part. Every leader has their faults. Flunk chimed in, "Well we better not make it about geography, cause Ham would blow our cover immediately." All the boys laughed at that, while Ham retorted with, "Oh, piss off."


Morton was still laughing when the solution stuck him. His eyes lit up, "I know! We could say that it was a research project about Native Americans!" It was the perfect solution. Native Americans were definitely a school orientated subject, and most parents know nothing about them! A kid could say, "Did you know that the Blackfoot tribe got it's name cause they actually painted their feet black during hunting ceremonies?" And their parents would simply say, "Really? That's fascinating."


Now the plan only needed one more thing: how to actually get to Underhill without being seen. Curby and Fluck had the answer. They lived on the same street. Directly behind their houses were some woods. Both of them enjoyed playing there for as long as they could remember. Even had some failed attempts at tree houses to prove that fact. It was said that the very woods, behind their houses, went right to the edge of Underhill's campus. This was very promising news, and the boys could hardly contain themselves.


There was still some research that needed to be done, but before lunch was over, they gave the plan a name: Operation Paintbrush. And Operation Paintbrush was a go.


© 2014 Kayja Symphious


Author's Note

Kayja Symphious
Corrections are always welcome!
My goal is for the reader to gain pleasure from my stories. If this story doesn't deliver on that, please tell me why in your most honest answer.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I do not want to be " Samuel Dickens" in the quotes below. I will say that, only a year ago, I was just like you. I have read over 4 books on writing, written over three hundred pages of work and consistently read to analyze other styles. Look up " How to make a scene", " Elements of Style", any basic book on plot, and maybe a book on dialogue. Pacing I find changes with editing, as the rough draft is never accurate, and I take that you are young by an illustration in a manga-esque style above. Don't be afraid to study and get a leg up on everyone else. You have the will to write, so continue it! But to find yourself you must first study the craft of writing, the genre you write for, then find your own voice, and then start then start publishing like a boss. Good luck, maybe we could be friends in the future. If not, I'm always looking for able rivals too. =)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kayja Symphious

9 Years Ago

Thank you for this wonderful review. I have heard, and just purchased "Elements of Style", it should.. read more



Reviews

I do not want to be " Samuel Dickens" in the quotes below. I will say that, only a year ago, I was just like you. I have read over 4 books on writing, written over three hundred pages of work and consistently read to analyze other styles. Look up " How to make a scene", " Elements of Style", any basic book on plot, and maybe a book on dialogue. Pacing I find changes with editing, as the rough draft is never accurate, and I take that you are young by an illustration in a manga-esque style above. Don't be afraid to study and get a leg up on everyone else. You have the will to write, so continue it! But to find yourself you must first study the craft of writing, the genre you write for, then find your own voice, and then start then start publishing like a boss. Good luck, maybe we could be friends in the future. If not, I'm always looking for able rivals too. =)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kayja Symphious

9 Years Ago

Thank you for this wonderful review. I have heard, and just purchased "Elements of Style", it should.. read more
kayja. my honest opinion: this is a very good story. you know how to grab the attention of the reader.

your storytelling is believable and very appealing. I enjoyed reading this very much.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kayja Symphious

9 Years Ago

Thank you woody. I've got some editing to do on this story, but I'm happy you enjoyed it.
I skimmed some of your other work before deciding to review this one. So often, I'm put off by glaring mistakes and poor story-telling that I just go on without commenting. Being completely honest, I almost did that here, but made my too-finicky self read on, and am glad I did. You've got the makings of a very good prose writer, I believe. Generally, a few of your sentences could be better constructed or slimmed down and you, as I, have an occasional problem with the comma. Stories about young folks are a favorite, so I enjoyed hearing about Piggy and the gang. Oh, and as an amateur artist who used to paint and draw a lot of nudes, I absolutely relate to the boys' interest in seeing a real, live model! You've got a great first part, so if the mood strikes you, by all means continue the story.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kayja Symphious

9 Years Ago

I appreciate that Mr. Dickens. For a long time, I hated the idea of writing. I saw it as a horrible .. read more
II like the opening imagery and comparison to pigs. It makes me see all the boys as pigs, and let's face it, they're planing a peeping tom adventure. They are pigs. But that's just how sixth grade boys are. I think you really captured that in description of how mundane the school day is.

One note though, there's one point where both Curby and Morton speak in the same paragraph. This caught me off guard and I had to reread at least once to understand the distinction between speakers. I suggest a paragraph between those two.

Otherwise I enjoyed the read, and seeing as you have already posted future parts to the Paintbrush adventure, I look forward to reading them.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kayja Symphious

9 Years Ago

Thank you for that EsdeeAyo. I will find the paragraph and fix that problem!

I realize .. read more
The descriptiveness, the linear storyline, the beautiful development, the thorough backstory-- you got nothing and made it to everything. Amazing!

I did spot quite a few spelling misconceptions and some grammar mistakes.
Run it through Paperrater (google it) and it should point everything that's bad out.
Good luck on your future endeavours!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jonas

9 Years Ago

Always in your humble service.
Kayja Symphious

9 Years Ago

I appreciate that. You are too kind. I hope I can return the favor.
Jonas

9 Years Ago

You always can, but only if you wish so.
A very descriptive story. I like when you write about time, "that even time got tired listening of her" and "after time woke up and released them from the horror that was Mrs. Miller's room…" are great ways to describe how it feels in school. I also like the descriptions of the characters and that they all have their unique personalities and characteristics. You had some minor grammar mistakes, like when you put a space after the first quotation marks, for example: " If I was hungry enough, I would." But that was hardly noticeable. All in all, nice work!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kayja Symphious

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much! You have made a friend weather you like it or not. I'm glad you liked how I descr.. read more
This is a delightful little story and I would love to see more of where the plan goes. It is somewhat reminiscent of Stephen King's The Body to me, though certainly less macabre. I greatly enjoyed reading this, it was descriptive and thoroughly entertaining.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kayja Symphious

10 Years Ago

Thank you! To be honest I was getting concerned that this work was going to wind up in the oblivion .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

707 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 3, 2014
Last Updated on August 30, 2014
Tags: part one, short story, art class, boys, adventure.

Author

Kayja Symphious
Kayja Symphious

Alton, IL



About
Just seeing if I have what it takes to entertain the world with my stories more..

Writing