American Justice with Bernie Madoff

American Justice with Bernie Madoff

A Story by Kayja Symphious
"

A short piece about justice.

"

The American justice system has a long history of empowering the rich. Two cases prove this point well.


In October 2001, it was revealed that a large cooperation called Enron had been lying to the public for years. The main orchestrators were Kenneth Lay and Jeffery Skilling. Their corrupt accounting practices, allowed the company to steal billons. After a long trial, convictions were handed down.


Bernie Madoff lied to the public for years as well, by making false statements for investors while stealing the money. He was caught, and punished.


Why do these two cases show what American justice is all about?


The Enron scandal caused over 20,000 people their job. Most of them were low level employees that struggled for years to regain some order in their lives. Others never got their lives back, because they committed suicide. After the scandal, the economy was scared, hurting the middle class even more.


Jeffery Skilling was punished to 24 years in prison. (reduced to 14 years.)


Kenneth Lay was never charged. After a suspicions "death" (while on vacation) all charges were dropped.


Bernie Madoff stole manly from the rich. Though it had some effect of the economy, it was nothing like the Enron scandal. He was sentenced to 150 years!


I'm not saying what Bernie Madoff did was right, but his sentence proves what American justice is all about. Steal from the poor, not much happens. Seal from the rich... a life sentence.

 

© 2014 Kayja Symphious


Author's Note

Kayja Symphious
Any corrections, or thoughts, are welcome

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

300 Views
Added on September 27, 2014
Last Updated on September 27, 2014
Tags: Enron, Kenneth Lay, Bernie Madoff

Author

Kayja Symphious
Kayja Symphious

Alton, IL



About
Just seeing if I have what it takes to entertain the world with my stories more..

Writing