Amy's Doll

Amy's Doll

A Story by W. J. Howard
"

Amy loses her doll and her life in this short story.

"
    Four-year-old Amy had become quite a handful for her mother Emily while the family moved into their new home. And Emily, seven months pregnant with twins, quickly lost patience with her daughter. “Amy, go to the playroom and unpack your toys,” said Emily after Amy sang her ABCs for what seemed like the hundredth time.
    “Okay,” replied Amy. She eagerly left Emily’s side, ready to do anything besides stare up at her mother’s oversized belly.
    In the playroom, Amy opened a box and noticed her favorite doll and its cradle. Feeling exhausted herself, Amy decided her doll should have a nap. She set up a nursery in the closet and placed her doll in the cradle. Then Amy laid down on the floor and fell asleep.
    An hour later, Amy awoke to find her doll missing from the cradle. Confused, Amy ran to the kitchen where her mother was unpacking dishes. “Mommy where’s my baby?” she asked.
    “Probably in one of the boxes.”
    “No Mommy, she was in the closet.”
    “I’m sure she’ll show up.”
    Not getting the answer she wanted, Amy left in a huff.
    Amy returned to the closet, where she noticed a small cabinet sized door. Curious, she opened the door and leaned inside. “Baby!” she called. Her tiny body tilted precariously into the silence and was swallowed by the darkness.

* * *

    Four years later twin brothers Austin and Aden sat bored in their playroom.
    “Let’s make a spaceship in the closet,” suggested Austin. He opened the closet door to find boxes packed with toys for a girl. Uninterested, he pushed the boxes aside and discovered a small cabinet sized door. A curious Austin opened the door with anticipation, but found nothing but a dark hole.
    “Close the door. Mommy’s going to get mad,” said Aden.
    Austin ignored Aden and poked his head inside the wall. Fearful for his brother’s well-being, Aden grabbed Austin’s shirt and pulled him backwards. Austin fought his brother, causing Aden to lose his grip. Austin flew forward and down into the darkness.
    In a panic, Aden ran to the kitchen. “Mommy!” he cried. “Austin fell in the hole.”
    “What?” cried Emily.
    Aden grabbed his mother’s hand and pulled her back to the closet. “There.” He pointed at the small doorway.
    “Austin,” Emily shouted down the dark shaft.
    “Mommy,” replied a faint voice.
    Emily dialed 911, and the fire department arrived within minutes. Three firefighters rushed to the basement and tore down a wall that concealed an old laundry chute. Inside they found Austin, dirty but uninjured. One of the firefighters scooped up Austin and handed him to his distraught mother. Emily shook as she hugged here son.
    “I’m okay Mommy,” said Austin. He wiggled and pushed away from his mother grasp, trying to escape to the floor. “I need to help the girl find her doll.”
    “Um ma’am,” said one of the firefighters. “There’s something else here in the wall.”

Read Amy's Doll on My Website

© 2009 W. J. Howard


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

For the most part a good story with a nice creepy ending, but I am left asking a couple of questions. One where did the doll go? I have no indication that something upernatural happened here. How did the doll end up in the chute?

The second issue is why didn't the mother find the chute? She knew her daughter was in the closet looking for her doll, how did she miss the door? Certainly the house would have been torn apart.

If there is something supernatural going on here it is not obvious to me. Can the door only be found by children? That would answer my second question and seeing that it had some sort of supernatural element to it the first question would be answered.

Other than those two items, nicely done.

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is really nice, you have a brilliant usage of words here...
Very appealing!

Posted 15 Years Ago


A nice thorough story

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

200 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 3, 2009

Author

W. J. Howard
W. J. Howard

Denver, CO



About
I'm an author and aspiring writer of Horror, Paranormal, Sci-Fi and Fantasy. Please read my bio at wjhoward.com/biography to learn more about me. more..

Writing