Fall In!

Fall In!

A Story by Deep in the Woodline...
"

Just a realization that as time marches on, some lessons are never forgotten...

"
I just happened to look at the calendar a few minutes ago and realized today was an anniversary of sorts for me. Thirty-seven years ago today, I was spending my first night as a US soldier at Fort Jackson, South Carolina.

Not much of it really stands out in my memory anymore. We were policed up at the Columbia airport and shuttled to the reception station in a pale green military van.

Once there, we were each given a brown paper bag with two ham sandwiches, a bag of chips, several cookies, an apple in it and some juice to drink. We drew linen and were taken to a big dorm-like bay sleeping area, given about 10 minutes to get squared away and then the lights were out.

I remember lying there amid the soft buzz of everyone talking; too excited to go to sleep just yet. The room grew strangely quiet as off in the distance over loud speakers Taps began to play.

Somehow, it was at that moment that I first actually realized where I was and why. That bugle call's somber duel nature brought on the realization that not only was it used to put soldiers to rest at night, it was also used to usher them into eternal rest.

I don't think I was the only one to have those thoughts as the bay stayed quiet after it was done playing. Our country was still at war in Vietnam and the serious nature of the oath we swore that morning took on a whole new meaning.

It was in those few brief moments of time, initiated by a simple song, that I laid my boyhood aside and became a man.

© 2010 Deep in the Woodline...


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This very much reminds me of my father when he was a boy flying out to Burma in the WW2, and how he must have had the same realisation that he was no longer a boy, and you capture that so well, the excitement of a boy mingled with the emerging man, and you did come back thank god, but that boy I am sure was gone forever.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I was saved by my lottery number, 235. I lost friends there and have a deep respect for the people that had to fight in a senseless war. Seems like our country continues to make the same mistakes. Thanks for taking me back to another time and place.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This very much reminds me of my father when he was a boy flying out to Burma in the WW2, and how he must have had the same realisation that he was no longer a boy, and you capture that so well, the excitement of a boy mingled with the emerging man, and you did come back thank god, but that boy I am sure was gone forever.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

And here you are, thankfully. you made it back. I'm glad.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

609 Views
3 Reviews
Added on September 18, 2010
Last Updated on September 18, 2010

Author

Deep in the Woodline...
Deep in the Woodline...

Where-You-Least-Expect-Me-To-Be, KY



About
Trying to find my way out of the forest. I have been lost for so long now, but I finally see some light. more..

Writing