Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by A.L.Exley

Prologue

There are 9 realms of Norse Mythology; realm of humans, gods, elves, and other creatures. But what the legends don't say is that there is a 10th realm. At the end of the Middle Ages, the wolf of the sun, Skoll, decided to create this realm as a safe haven for humans. Using the power of 24 Runestones, he created the Kingdom of Sølvefalske. But the great magic the Runestones provided was also a great temptation, and a war rose that separated the people of a once peaceful kingdom.

From the war, the Sutherland kingdom arose, and has now been fighting against Sølvefalske for 800 years.

Every passing day, the kingdoms grew weaker as they fought each other. The safety of the Runestones was threatened. Skoll had to protect them, so he decided to send a hero. The extraordinary powers of this hero was the Kingdoms last hope. They called her: the Wolf Princess.

This story sounds exciting, doesn't it? A magical island, a terrible war, and legendary heroes running around. I totally understand how you may think living on a magical island would be so cool; but I better explain a few things first.

First off, heroism is anything but glorious. I happen to know for a fact that it involves a lot of thinking about how you were going to die. Still think that sounds fun?

Imagine living in a kingdom with a war raging every day; your whole existence centered around the hope that 24 Runestones don't fall into the wrong hands, and your home gets destroyed.

Besides that, the island is pretty cool; a cozy medieval village complete with a castle, thousands of acres of forest (with plenty of treacherous terrain to accommodate all your adventurous needs!), and some of the worlds best chocolate. But don't waste your time looking for this island on google maps to plan a dream vacation; the only way you can get here is by drowning, and please don't try that!

When Skoll created the island, he also created a portal through the waterways so people could get there. If a person drowned anywhere on Earth, they would appear in either Sølvefalske or the Sutherlands. The trick is; you could never go back. This island, and its magic has to remain a secret from the rest of the world.

By the way, if you still want to end up living here, take in mind that we have no electricity, cars, or WiFi of any kind. Skoll wanted to keep the island's environment free from any kind of major pollution. Of course, we know all about the modern world; some immigrants never shut up about how their life was better before they came here.

So hopefully you now know living of Sølvefalske isn't exactly a breeze. Maybe the magic is worth it? Nope.

Magic is what started the stupid war in the first place. Besides, there is only one person who regularly practices magic, and he's an 800 year old hermit who lives in the Hvitrfjella mountains (hard to read, I know; bear with me). As antisocial and grumpy as he is, he is wise, and somewhere underneath his incredibly long beard is a heart that he actually does use every once in awhile.

The only good thing about our magic is the Shifting Spell, which allows humans to shift into wolves by drinking a potion. Not everyone has this power though; only the King's Warriors who achieve a high enough ranking.

And no; we don't run around singing Disney songs in the woods, using our shifting power to make epic montages. Although, that would be better than what the spell is actually used for; a weapon in the war against the Sutherlands.

But the Sutherlands have magic of their own; that's why the war has lasted so long. They match our power.

The only difference between the kingdoms is the Sutherlands seem to be a lot more desperate than us; they are willing to do anything to win the war and destroy Sølvefalske.

So now, hopefully you understand how the knowledge of appending doom would take the fun out of living on a magical island. I know first hand what this is like; my life was nothing but one danger after another. You see, the villagers life was hard, but for the ones who actually had to save the world; it was harder.



© 2017 A.L.Exley


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I'm going to read and enjoy every word of this book because I absolutely love wolves, and I love the idea of turning into a wolf even more. I'd like to thank you for taking time to write a book about it. I'll leave you a comment on the last chapter and let you know my overall thoughts, and maybe some in the middle if I feel like commenting. Don't take anything I have to say offensively, I'm not a very good critiquer, but I will try and I will be honest about it.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A.L.Exley

7 Years Ago

Thank you. I'm not easily affended, and I can really use the criticism, I hope you enjoy it!



Reviews

That did capture my attention for sure ,

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Love the concept of shifting into a wolf. Actually I was quite shocked to find out it was a wolf who was talking. You put reat visual images of a 300 year old man who practices magic under the darkness of a cave.

Great work. Keep it up.

Mark

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I'm going to read and enjoy every word of this book because I absolutely love wolves, and I love the idea of turning into a wolf even more. I'd like to thank you for taking time to write a book about it. I'll leave you a comment on the last chapter and let you know my overall thoughts, and maybe some in the middle if I feel like commenting. Don't take anything I have to say offensively, I'm not a very good critiquer, but I will try and I will be honest about it.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A.L.Exley

7 Years Ago

Thank you. I'm not easily affended, and I can really use the criticism, I hope you enjoy it!
It seems a bit obvious, as for the whole kidnapping-thing, but it's definitely an effective hook. I'm intrigued!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Thank you! Yeah, I copy and paste this story from my google drive, and it kind of messes with the font and spaces.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Wølfy

7 Years Ago

Yeah. When I paste mine I have to make sure to edit all the settings and fix spelling errors or the .. read more
Hey I actually read something and finished it. This is a pretty good opening, sounds like you are breaking the 4th wall a bit, which is never a bad thing usually. It is good, good hook, good short info on what is going on. I assume the first chapter will start with the dream. The only thing, in my opinion is the formatting here seems a bit odd. It starts out spaced, and then at the last paragraph it is single. Of course, formatting does not matter to much here. Overall it is great.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

that was a great begining, very atention catching. can I use that concept?

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A.L.Exley

7 Years Ago

Yes, sure. Thank you!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1031 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 23, 2016
Last Updated on February 18, 2017


Author

A.L.Exley
A.L.Exley

MN



About
I believe stories are one of the most important things in life, whether they take the form of books, movies, or pictures. A story is in insight into someone else's mind, offering an escape from our ow.. more..

Writing
Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by A.L.Exley



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Just a Phase Just a Phase

A Story by Hannah