Midnight Rendezvous

Midnight Rendezvous

A Story by Angel
"

A story that came to me one day as I sat on the bus, headed to work. It's a metaphor of how I picture myself, some of my ex-boyfriends, and my current boyfriend.

"

Night. Inky blackness coats everything as if it were a second skin, suffocating any resemblance to light or life. Things that creep and crawl come out to feast upon the less fortunate. She smilies, this is her element. She climbs out of her cave and slinks down to the river, an icy vein that's the life source to this world she calls her home. As she drinks, her ears remained perked, trained to hear the faintest sound of danger. Once satisfied, she stalks off into another area of the woods to plan. Her paws are silent as she swiftly glides through the underbrush. Her tail is kept low, and her fur lies flat against her body...everything poised to help keep her from being spotted by unwanted eyes. She picks her way carefully, and soon arrives near a large field, perfect for the night's occupation.

 

She crouches down to her haunches and slithers like a snake through the tall grass. She must take every precaution tonight...it has been days since her last meal and she needs her strength...and so she wants to prevent any stupid mistakes. A noise catches her ear, it's coming from her right. She turns, snakelike, to follow the sound. Her nose picks up the scent soon after. Rabbit, from what she can tell. The grass parts, and she peeps out, and she sees a brown hare coming out of its burrow to get a drink. She pauses, gazing and studying the other creature...an aloof curiosity. The rabbit sniffs the air for any enemies that might be nearby. She grins, purposefully having come downwind to avoid detection. The rabbit, sensing no danger, begins to wash itself. She waits. Then it decides to head to the river. Her muscles twitch in anticipation. The rabbit leaps...but never touches the ground. In a flash of silver, the brown hare disappears from view. She smiles with the corpse in her jaws. That was one of her better kills, and for a moment, she gloated.

 

She carries the dead thing back to the river, not only so that she may eat in peace, but to wash away any lingering scent.....so no scavengers come sniffing at her door. The rabbit is good, but she'll be hungry again soon. However, the moon is starting to rise, and soon she will be too visible with her silver fur to hunt much longer. She retreats to the solitude of her cave, listening to the symphony that plays for the Dance of Life and Death...the perfect lullaby. Yet she does not yet sleep. She keeps alert, listening in case something tries to enter when it doesn't belong. She had to deal with wolverines, skunks, and scorpions before, therefore she was cautious. Besides, she was waiting for something...

 

Just as the moon was about to crest the trees and illuminate the world, another wolf came to the cave. Smelling no intruder, she wagged her tail. The huge wolf looked menacing, but he too wagged his tail upon her sight. His black fur blended into the night, save for the white markings around his eyes and muzzle. He came into the cave and curled up beside his mate, having spent most of the night in the successful hunting of a wild boar. She had decided to save her strength for the elk herd they were tracking, but he had been stubborn and hungry. They linked tails and laid down close together, the air growing chillier as the night progressed. Winter would be coming soon, and they would need that elk herd to survive. But for the moment, hunger and worry vanished as the pair fell into a deep sleep as the warmth of their bodies and the safety of having each other close lulled them into a sense of peace. The activity outside continued, but within their little cave...everything was as it should be.

© 2011 Angel


Author's Note

Angel
Honest opinions?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was a neat analogy, but I think it would be easier to read if you split it up into shorter paragraphs. I don't know why, but large blocks of text kind of make me lose interest.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

202 Views
1 Review
Added on May 13, 2011
Last Updated on May 13, 2011

Author

Angel
Angel

Statesville, NC



About
I am a 19 year-old girl who's firey and outspoked. I say almost anything that's on my mind and I'm not afraid to defend myself, others, or what I believe is right. I am cool, calm, and collected. I en.. more..

Writing
Moonlit Tears Moonlit Tears

A Poem by Angel


Hello Stranger Hello Stranger

A Poem by Angel