The Stick and the Rock

The Stick and the Rock

A Story by Natalie
"

A fable about a stick, a rock, and a cliff.

"

Once in a time long ago, in a land far away, lived a Rock named Rocky. He was on a vacation to the forest, where King Tree ruled over all the woods. King Tree had a daughter named Princess Sticky. He arranged a marriage for her but unfortunately, she did not want to marry another stick. She cut herself off from the family tree and fell to the ground. During her fall, she loses her crown. Now she is an ordinary stick with no family.

Soon, Rocky meets Sticky. They immediately fall in love. They do everything together: “swim” in the stream (one floating, one sinking), sit very still next to each other, and walk in the forest. Because she lost her crown, he does not know that she is the princess. Therefore, their love is real. He is her rock.

One day, as Sticky and Rocky are walking in the forest, they come upon a giant cliff. This cliff is just like Rocky only bigger and stronger. Cliffy recognizes Princess Sticky as the daughter of King Tree and wants to marry her so that he can become king one day. He does not see Princess Sticky for who she is, but sees her as his ticket to power. In his booming voice, he beacons to the princess:

“Come here, Princess Sticky.” The ground rumbles as he talks.

“Yes, sir?” She responds quietly, afraid of his big size.

“You are very pretty. I would like to marry you.”

Princess Sticky is drawn to his deep voice and imposing figure. She considers abandoning Rocky for Cliffy, yet Rocky is perfect for her. He is the little guy and very sweet. She just met Cliffy and does not know if she can trust him. But his offer is very appealing to her. She finds herself caught between a rock and a hard place.

Rocky sees how easily Princess Sticky will abandon him for someone else. Dejected, he hobbles away. He refuses to cry because he is a rock and rocks do not cry. He abandoned his family vacation for Sticky and this is how she repays him. He decides to go back to his family and hope they will accept him.

Along the way, he passes King Tree, who is crying. He pauses and asks King Tree what is wrong.

Through his tears, he tells Rocky, “My daughter ran away.” His voice is deep like Cliffy’s, but soft and friendly like a tree’s.

“Why did she run away?”

“She did not want to marry the stick I chose for her,” King Tree informs Rocky. He remembers Sticky talking about how she refused to go along with the marriage that her father arranged.

“If you do not mind my asking, your majesty, what is your daughter’s name.”

“It pains me to remember her name, but it is Sticky. Princess Sticky.”

“Sticky? I know where she is!” Rocky exclaims. King Tree immediately brightens up.

“You do?” The trees rustle with his voice.

“Yes, follow me!” King Tree uproots himself and crawls along the forest floor, following Rocky. Soon, they come upon Cliffy and Princess Sticky, both looking upset. As Cliffy sees King Tree approaching, he attempts to look powerful in order to impress the king, but the king sees through Cliffy’s motives.

“What are you doing with my daughter?” King Tree bellows in a loud, passionate voice that would cause even the biggest cliff to cower.

“Uh…nothing sir…”

Princess Sticky looks up, tears streaming down her bark. “Daddy! I am so stupid. Cliffy wanted to marry me and I thought he truly loved me, but I was terribly wrong. I know you’ll never forgive me, but understand that I know I was wrong. I should never have run away.”

“Oh, my child,” he hugs her close to him. “I was thinking it over. I should not have forced you into something you did not want to do. You do not have to go through with the arranged marriage.”

“Daddy, I’ll do anything you tell me to do. I will be an obedient daughter after what I have put you through.”

“No, child, I love you too much to put you through what I put you through. And I cannot live with myself if you run away again.”

“Never. I will never run away ever again.” Tears continue to pour down her bark.

King Tree turns the focus away from his daughter, who he holds close to him, and asks Rocky, “Sir, how can I repay you?”

“Just to know that your daughter is safe is enough payment for me.” He responds.

The princess interjects. “Dad, I would like to marry Rocky,” she proposes. She then looks at Rocky, “if he will take me.” The king is thrown off guard with this statement.

“My child, do you know this rock?”

“Yes. We fell in love after I ran away.”

“Sir, is this true?” King Tree confirms with Rocky, who nods in affirmation. “If you will take my daughter, I will bless your marriage.” Rocky’s eyes brighten and he forgives Princess Sticky for her temporary betrayal.

“I would love to marry her,” he says, locking eyes with Princess Sticky.

Soon after, Princess Sticky and Rocky, now Prince Rocky, get married. Through Rocky’s dedication to Princess Sticky, he saves her from Cliffy and together they live happily ever after.

© 2011 Natalie


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

136 Views
Added on January 7, 2011
Last Updated on January 7, 2011

Author

Natalie
Natalie

MA



Writing
Maladroit Maladroit

A Story by Natalie