Raising The Stakes

Raising The Stakes

A Poem by Rayne Stanton
"

When I first told my friend the title, she instantly thought vampires. IT'S NOT ABOUT VAMPIRES YOU CRAZY PEOPLE :P

"

Keep the cards comin' like a bass drum

drummin' my fingers on the felt covered table.

Girls strollin' by with their skirts rollin'

high as the smoke fills my mind and the room.

Another card passed, my mouth curves to a smirk,

goin' all in like a stripper off of work,

boy across the table ain't nothin' but a flirt

as we push all our money toward the middle.

 

Press the bottle to my lips, the bitter downed drink.

Hide the smile that might show, or so he might think.

Business men surround the table.

I know I'm our of my league

like a kindergardener batter facing the high schoolers team.

Just to imagine their faces as I take up to bat

and hit that home-run, after all I'm just having fun,

and there ain't nothin' wrong with that.

 

Final bets being made, all of us are all in

we flip over our cards and three aces I win.

Boy cross the table glares as I take all his money.

I leave the table hearing, "You just got lucky hunny."

No doubt his money meant to be spent

on his next load of glass.

I smile and turn, blow him a kiss,

now he can kiss my a*s.

© 2011 Rayne Stanton


Author's Note

Rayne Stanton
As opposed to popular belief that all writing should have some meaning, this writing has none. :) Absolutly no meaning has been placed amongst these words. This poem is simply for the benefit of the smile.
P.S. The spelling errors are supposed to be there, it's not just the words that make the poem, it's the way you say it as well. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like this poem for all the wrong and right reasons LOL. the ending is perfect and I am sure the boy thought the kiss was worth losing all his money for well okay maybe not but at least he got a kiss blown his way for his efforts. Good scene poetry, nice set up and conclusion!

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
☯
I really like this poem. It's humorous, it made me smile, and it's also very independent. The character in the story is head-strong and sly, and I like that about the poem a lot. The plot of gambling is any very not written of, which made it's different. I really liked this, awesome job :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Not being a gambler myself, I did find myself 'smiling' at this poem though. I'm new to this and am not sure how to fit in so I thank you for your comment on my 'poem'.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Interesting, Madz:) Very good and detailed.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I agree that it is good to just write. Don't stop to analyze. However, loving the references and the theme, I would like you to use spell check more, just because it will build your cred. You are really growing and changing....Never stop being "you"

Posted 13 Years Ago


Definately different from anything of what you have written.

Posted 13 Years Ago


The rhythm behind this is wonderful. Also, your use of colloquialisms fits wonderfully in; great job.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I love that meaning... Sometimes you write to write. Very interesting Rayne!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

377 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 23, 2011
Last Updated on April 26, 2011

Author

Rayne Stanton
Rayne Stanton

Bend, OR



About
My real name is Maddie Linde, however Rayne is my middle name and also the name of my favorite character in one of my unfinished novels. I'm 17 years old and have been writing short stories and poems .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..