"CHARACTER BIOS"

"CHARACTER BIOS"

A Chapter by blackdiamondbella
"

I am writing another book...tell me what you think of my characters so far.

"

 

CHARACTER BIOS
Cameron Armstrong is the oldest member of the South City Band. He is the most mature and the most business-savvy of the bunch. The lead guitarist/vocalist has his hands full with keeping the other members focused—especially quick-tempered Jamie—and with struggling to hold his own troubled family together back home. The others see Cameron as a big brother, and often listen to his advice.
Cameron is the oldest son of Cleavon and Tanita Armstrong. He is also the oldest grandchild. As a result, he is highly respected by his brother and cousins. Of course, being the firstborn comes with great responsibility—and often, a price. Since he is the first-born grandchild, he has had to bear the burden of being the role model for all his cousins. This would prove to be a double-edged sword: they would often follow Cameron’s lead—in both good and bad ways. Some of his cousins have followed Cameron’s advice in terms of going to school and getting an education—something that he did not get. Unfortunately, other cousins have followed Cameron into the gang lifestyle—something that he now regrets. He is not the only firstborn in his family to have become involved with gangs—his own father and older uncle have both been involved in the Monarch gang. In fact, it was Cameron’s father and uncle who had gotten Cameron and his brother Cody interested—and later involved—with the Monarchs. Because of his popularity and respect from his peers, Cameron was slated to become a future gang leader—until he was sent to reform school for assaulting a rival gang member who tried to fight one of his cousins. It proved problematic for Cameron—he not only had to leave his mother and brother, but also his girlfriend and newborn son. Now that he has been released after 3 years, Cameron is finding that leading the straight life is not as easy as it seems; however, he is determined to work as hard as he can to make sure that his young son does not follow in his footsteps.
Cody Armstrong is Cameron’s younger brother and brings the vocal power to the South City Band. This young singing dynamo also plays bass for the band, as well as writes ¼ of the lyrics. Cody provides some of the comic relief for the band whenever there is tension—usually between Cameron and Jamie. 
Cody is a likeable character, but he will be the first to admit that life has not always been so easygoing. Growing up in the “Row”—the nickname for Lake Town’s notorious Alvin T. Monroe housing project, Cody knew firsthand that the slightest wrong step could mean death. It was this reason that he and his brother banded together when their father was sent to prison for armed robbery years ago. They both knew that they were on their own and that they would have to protect one another to survive. The Armstrong family firmly believed in the phrase “Blood is thicker than water” and the boys took this to heart—whatever the reason. Growing up in the church, most of the Armstrong family was heavily involved. Cody—taking after his uncle C.J., aunt Cleo, and others in his family—often brought the congregation to its feet with his powerful singing, while Cameron was rumored to be a child prodigy with “bringing the word”. However, once their father was gone, things changed. Their other uncle Clem had now become a constant staple in their lives—a huge mistake. Even though the boys’ were heavily involved with the church, the call of the streets had soon become stronger. When Cameron joined the Monarchs at age eleven, ten-year-old Cody soon followed. When Cameron was sent to juvenile prison at the age of sixteen, Cody swore to provide for and look after Cameron’s son, Calvin. Four months after Cameron’s overwhelmed fifteen-year-old girlfriend had given the baby to them, their mother was given sole custody of the boy, enabling Cody to fulfill his promise to his older brother more devoutly. He watched over his nephew as he grew from infant to toddler, making sure that no one bothered him. However, his loyalty still remained with the Monarchs—his brother’s incarceration had not swerved Cody to quit the gang. When Cameron returned, Cody was elated—he was certain that they could regain a following with the gang; however, Cameron no longer wanted it. He wanted to get out, and he wanted the same for his brother. At first, Cody didn’t want to hear it, and tension between the brothers mounted for several weeks. Finally, the revelation that their cherished grandfather was dying of cancer served as the catalyst that would reunite and solidify them once again.
Jamie Arraya is the South City Band’s charismatic showman. He is the musical genius for the band. He is musically inclined, playing the percussions; lead, rhythm, and acoustic guitars; the harmonica; keyboards; synthesizers; and the piano (his most beloved instrument). Whenever he is on stage, Jamie is a wildman—furiously playing his guitar or drums, parading and jumping about, and seductively gyrating and performing other sexually suggestive behavior for his countless female fans. His offstage countenance is not very different: his fiery temperament, high-spirited personality, and charming demeanor to the opposite sex serve as both a virtue and a vice. His friends, family, and others see his behavior as courageous, yet defiant; affectionate, yet somewhat lecherous. However, everyone agrees with one thing: James Dean Arraya has the ability and determination to achieve anything that he wants.
Unfortunately, as much as he is talented, Jamie is also tortured. The half Black/half Native American (he refuses to claim his White heritage, due to his father’s resentment of his own mother’s abandonment) has had to contend with name-calling and rudeness about his Bi-Racial blood—which he has often resolved with his fists. He is very proud of his family—both sides—and will not hesitate to confront anyone who dares to hurt them. He was involved in a fight alongside his two cousins (Cody and Cameron) with some boys from the Monarchs’ rival neighborhood (Jefferson Village) in junior high, but unlike his cousins, Jamie simply got involved because he was not about to allow anyone to team up against them. When his mother found out, she soon transferred him to St. Francis Parochial School—where he attends when the story begins, much to his chagrin. However, the bulk of his demons come from unresolved grief and guilt over his sister’s suicide. The two of them were best friends and—when she died—Jamie soon turned cynical and defiant. Even though Jamie had always been rather outspoken (with anyone), circumstances surrounding her oncoming death had deeply amplified his anger—causing him to turn his rage onto anyone whom he felt had somehow crossed him. The domino effect of his sister’s death proved catastrophic for his family—with Jamie and his mother receiving most of the fallout. Losing her only daughter was too much for Jamie’s mother; consequently, she had soon divorced her husband and pushed away her two sons. Jamie’s older brother Mandrell would soon leave to start his band and have his own family, Jamie’s father would return to his home state of South Dakota, and Jamie would find himself alone to take the brunt of his mother’s now-cold and depressant nature—leading the twosome to argue and fight on many occasions. Despite these circumstances, Jamie deeply and desperately loves his mother and longs for the day that she will one day return his affections.
Craig Arinwine is the youngest member of the South City Band. The young falsetto is the bringer of the beat—the vibrating pulse that makes up half of the rhythm section of the band (Cody’s bass being the other half). Craig was hired as drummer when the SCB’s lead singer overdosed on heroin, causing the band to reform—with Jamie taking the part of rhythm guitarist and Cody becoming lead vocalist. Since then, the young beat maker has been a huge hit with his lightning twirling of his drumsticks, his falsetto vocals, and his frequent drumming “battles” with Jamie—a proficient drummer in his own right.
Craig is also the oldest child in his family. However, unlike Cameron, he was not pressured by relatives to be “the responsible one” to everyone else. Craig didn’t mind in the least that he was the oldest of six children because his siblings were pretty much well-mannered, anyway. With that bit of freedom, Craig was free to do whatever he wanted—play sports, play for the school band, and play soccer after school—to his heart’s content. A sharp contrast to his fellow bandmates, Craig’s home life was the most stable. His parents are in a long-term, happy marriage and no one has been lost to incarceration and premature death. This is often interpreted by the others as being “sheltered” and “naïve”, since they have experienced things that—as young children—they should not have had to learn. Knowing this, Jamie promised Craig’s father that he would watch out for him during their different tours. Craig admires and looks up to Jamie as the big brother he’s never had—with mixed results. It is observing the others and learning from their mistakes that allow Craig to grow and mature into his own identity within the group.
 

 



© 2009 blackdiamondbella


Author's Note

blackdiamondbella
Give me your opinions on my characters that I have so far.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Sounds like an interesting group of character. Makes me wonder what the story its self is going to be like.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

232 Views
Added on May 5, 2009


Author

blackdiamondbella
blackdiamondbella

Oklahoma City, OK



Writing