The Season of Expiration

The Season of Expiration

A Poem by Lainey

Burnt orange, russett red, and buttery yellow swirl in a loose tornado over the damp pavement.
Chilled air sends unsuspected shivers down one spine and a shock of crisp oxygen through the nose of another.
Worn leather boots crunch over a path filled with retired leaves.


The sound of woodland creatures scrambling to prepare for the annual shift fills the air with a frenzied energy.
It's warm enough for bare arms, yet cool enough for covered legs.
A scorching drink in hand provides a wave of heat to blossom in one's chest.


The scents of cinnamon, pumpkin pie, and brown sugar permeate a home.
Ghoulish faces spread their flickering grins to October passerby.
At the yearly Fall Festival, there is a choice between caramel or candied apples.


This is how we are meant to spend our existence,
Balancing on a tightrope between uncomfortably hot and unbearably cold
While nature sheds its summer cloak to brace for the devilish temperatures to come. 


The season of expiration is a time of fading, 
Where the burnt oranges, russett reds, and buttery yellows sink from branch to ground,
And a sense of peace and belonging falls over humanity for a while.

© 2018 Lainey


Author's Note

Lainey
Feel free to leave comments, opinions, or criticism!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

115 Views
Added on September 12, 2018
Last Updated on September 12, 2018
Tags: autumn, fall, peace, serenity, pumpkin, halloween, october, season, expiration, festival, hot, cold, nature, imagery, description

Author

Lainey
Lainey

GA



About
I create my own escape through my writing. I often publish poems, but I am also working on a few fiction stories. I love feedback! Make sure to comment on any of my stories and tell me what you thi.. more..

Writing