Chapter 4: The Climb

Chapter 4: The Climb

A Chapter by Doogie
"

The main kid and his dad go on a climb on his birthday.

"
I wake up into the darkness as steps outside disturbed my slumber. It was cold and I didn't want to move. I curl up into my sleeping bad. I look around and see a small light through the thin tent moving around outside. Zach is still asleep next to me. The light gets brighter as it creeps towards the tent. I squeeze onto my sleeping bag.

"Daniel, are you awake?" A voice asked. It was only my dad. I breath a sigh of relief. Maybe I was dreaming and nothing weird happened last night. I throw on my clothes quickly and grab my stuff. Shortly after we set off for our acclimatization hike.

The air was cool yet refreshing. Out here you normally want to start before sunrise incase any bad weather strikes later. Monsoon season can be dangerous for beginners who stay at elevation for to long. You don't want to be above treeline during a thunderstorm. We go up to about 12, 700ft. A nice class two mountain with some low class three scrambling here and there. We take a break for awhile. We talk about things like school, sports, and future goals. It was nice spending some personal time with my father. We drink a lot of water and continue. After around another hour we finally scramble our way into the rock summit. It was challenging but a lot of fun. I felt like a real man as I looked around and took in the views. It was a beautiful day and the views were amazing. Next to us were some larger mountains.

"That's the goal for tomorrow." Dad says as he points at one." It's over 14,000ft. It has a lot of class three scrambling. It has an awesome exposed catwalk too. Maybe we'll get its sub-summit if we have time too ."

I stare at it in amazement trying to figure out the route. Then I look down towards the lake and see Zach and mom walking around. They looked so tiny down there. I take a seat and breath in this fresh air at over 13,000ft altitude.

"Congratulations son and happy birthday!" My dad tells me excitingly. He pats me on the back and sits next to me. "I started you off on a good one." I smile and eat some snack bars. "You could be an amazing mountain climber one day if you follow in the footsteps of your old man. I'm sure you could surpass me in no time."

"That would be awesome!" I replied. "I would love to see the would and do this."

"One day son. I've done a lot of traveling when i was younger. Trips to South America and Europe. I actually met your mother in Europe. She was on a ski trip and we met in a beautiful city in France called Chamonix. It was when I climbed Mont Blanc. Speaking of your mother do you have any idea what her announcement tonight is going to be?"

I shrug my shoulders. "I'm not sure. She hasn't told us anything." I could tell he was worried. He loved her so much. She seemed more distant from him recently. "Whatever it is I'm sure it's good news."

"I hope so son." Dad replied as he put his arm around my shoulder. "Sure is an amazing view up here. I wish Sarah and Zach were up here too." We finish our break talking about his past trips and other positive things. We don't mention anything about last night. It almost looked like he couldn't remember anything about it. I wanted to bring up the weird light I saw. We were having such a good bonding moment I didn't want to hurt it. We finally finished acclimatizing and headed back down.


© 2016 Doogie


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

hey just thought i let you know something,
second line second word, i think it is a mis spell

20 lines down and 13 in i think is another mis spell

i like the story so far, keep writing and dont quit

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

90 Views
1 Review
Added on December 7, 2016
Last Updated on December 7, 2016


Author

Doogie
Doogie

Denver, CO



Writing
Prequel 1: Endless Prequel 1: Endless

A Chapter by Doogie