The Court Room

The Court Room

A Chapter by Jessica
"

Katara stands trial for being caught doing and dealing drugs as well as drinking.

"
As I sat in court room my hands shook uncontrollably. My heart was pounding in my chest and I was almost hyperventilating. I looked at the jury and the stand where a judge would soon decide my fate. I looked to my right. My lawyer, Mr. Dawson, was sitting in the chair next to me flipping though a packet of papers. I sank in my chair when the Judge opened the door and walked into the room. He stared at me for a moment before taking his seat on the stand. 
"Katara, sit up." Mr. Dawson whispered in my ear. 
I sat up. I glanced at Mr. Dawson and he smiled trying to reassure me. His blue eyes had a small sparkle in them and his blonde hair was cut short. His high cheekbones defined his flawless face. His charming smile didn't work, nothing could reassure me, nothing could even being to convince me something good could come of this.
"How did a young, beautiful, girl like yourself get into this situation."
I looked up and the Judges gaze was on me. I swallowed and sighed. I stood up and looked around the court room before I continued. 
"Uhm, my parents were both drug addicts and alcoholics. They, uh, have always been since I was little. The only thing that stayed consistent in my life was the drugs and alcohol. I believe thats why I'm here today."
I looked over at the Jury and they didn't seem convinced by the short summary of my life. Mr. Dawson stood and started doing his job. He defended me and tried to make sure the Jury and the Judge felt pity for me. I won't sit here and say I'm innocent, but my whole life has been a lie and against the law. I needed some pity. 
"Listen, I will cut you a deal." the Judge looked from Mr. Dawson to me after about an hour. "You can either spend a few years in prison or you can do some intense community service. Which would you prefer?"
I looked at Mr. Dawson. "What do you think?"
"I think you would be stupid not to accept the community service. A pretty girl like you shouldn't be in prison." He smiled at me.
I looked at the Judge. "May I ask what the community service would be?"
"Of course. You will be required to spend two and a half years in Tennessee volunteering at a place called Tiger Haven. You will be required to learn about wild cats as well as care for one yourself. Also Tiger Haven offers horseback riding to children with mental and physical disabilities, you will be required to spend some time helping with that as well."
I looked at Mr. Dawson and shook my head. There was no way I would ever work with an animal that could kill me in a matter of seconds. It wasn't going to happen. Mr. Dawson frowned at me then looked at the Judge.
"She'll do it." 


© 2010 Jessica


Author's Note

Jessica
I just want to know what you think.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

484 Views
Added on March 5, 2010
Last Updated on March 10, 2010
Tags: life, in, black, and, white, stripes, drugs, abuse, tiger, lions, cats, one