My Grandfather

My Grandfather

A Story by Xavier Honre
"

This is a paper about my grandfathers death. It was written for my language class, and I wrote it just one day after his death. It helped me to realize the finality of it. Though it needs to be polished.

"

This paper is a tribute to my grandfather. He passed away yesterday, Thursday October 18th, 2007 at 6:15 AM. The man of steel, my hero, has died. The reason I am writing about him in my Light Bulb moment paper is so I can accept that he is truly gone, this is my opportunity.

 

Yesterday morning I was lying awake at 6:10 when my dad entered my room and told me that I wasn’t going to school. Then he proceeded to tell me Grandpa wasn’t doing to good, and for me to sleep in and wait for my siblings to get up. Mom and Dad were going to our grandparent’s house. I agreed, even though I wanted to be with my grandfather when he passed. I laid there for maybe five minutes and thought, I wondered how everyone would take it if papa died that day, little did I know that at the moment I was pondering that, my papa was dying. I got up at about 6:15 and got dressed, not bothering to shower because I knew no one would care if I was clean or dirty should something happen.

 

I had gotten down stairs and turned on the six o’clock news when my parents walked back through the door, streaming tears and telling me to go get my shoes on. As I walked passed my dad, wondering if this would be my last goodbye, he grabbed my arm and said “He passed away at 6:15, I don’t know how else to put it… I'm sorry.” Then my mom asked me if I'm all right. Though I was completely shattered, confused, and numbing, I answered “I will be.”

 

As I climbed the stairs I could think only about my siblings, my seven year old sister who would be awakened by this terrible news, and my two other brothers, nine and eleven, whom were already awake but unaware of the horrible event that had occurred. I almost wished it were a secret that I could take to my grave as to protect them.

 

I would like to go ahead and reflect to the night before, where we had visited their house and had supper. My grandfather seemed very happy and content for the most part. Though when we left, and I gave him a kiss I noticed a look in his eye that was filled with sorrow and longing. I told him to get some rest, and that I love him. He smiled back as he replied “I will son, I love you very much…”

 

Now back to Thursday, it was about 6:45 AM when we arrived at their house. My dad warned us that because the funeral home hadn’t come to get his body yet, he was laying on the medical bed in the front room. He told us we didn’t have to enter through the front door if we didn’t wish to, we could go in through the back door, though none of us did.

 

As I entered the house the numbness I had encountered earlier that morning was replaced by sadness and sorrow. I glanced quickly over towards the bed and was shocked with what I saw: my grandfather laid there, covered by his white sheets, his mouth agape and color fading as I watched. But this wasn’t the worst event I saw that day, no, I saw something that wrenched my heart and hurt more than words. It symbolized the end, it symbolize finality.

 

My aunt, Christy, and grandmother, Glenda, greeted us. My aunt was bawling, but my grandmother had stopped crying and stood strong by the body of her husband. In those few moments of entering the house and being greeted, I realized that my grandfather might be dead, but his will, strength, and life lessons will hold strong in all of our lives forever.

 

I proceeded to kiss him and recite our promise that we made together about two months ago. Then I was over come by tears and had to walk. About an hour and a half later two guys from the funeral home come to get the body. My Aunt, grandmother, mother, father, and I all watched as they moved his body from his bed to a stretcher. After this my grandmother asked them to wait on the front porch while we all said our final goodbye.

 

When we were finished the two men came back in and continued to do their job: resting his head on a pillow, wrapping him in the sheets he passed away on, and placing that red cover over his body. They left his head uncovered for a moment while they fixed the wheels of the stretcher. But soon made it final that he is never coming back, that I won’t be seeing him anytime soon, I wont hear him praising me after every performance, and telling me that I'm the pride of his life. They pulled the red cover over his face. This stung my heart and hurt like hell. I truthfully hated those two men at that moment for doing that. I know it’s just their job, but I couldn’t help myself. This is when I realized that he is dead. Before then I had half hoped he would just sit up and laugh, but when they covered his face, I knew he wasn’t coming back. I knew it was final, my hero had passed away.

© 2008 Xavier Honre


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh, this makes me want to cry. It's so sad. It's terrible to lose a loved one-especially a hero.
It's a great write. It honors your grandpas memory. Great job!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


That was heart-wrenching. Wow. I feel like my stomach is all in knots right now.
My Papa is probably the strongest man I know, and I don't know what I'm going to do whenever I have to attend his funeral.

I'm glad you were able to write about his passing. It showed how much you loved him, and how much respect you have for him. I know it's sad, but he's in a better place now. Just keep that tiny bit of information in the back of your mind and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Thanks for sharing. =D

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

286 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 12, 2008

Author

Xavier Honre
Xavier Honre

I'm in the little place in the back of my head where I rediscovered my inspiration!, OH



About
I'm back! Sorry I've been gone so long, I've been occupied. But I'm back and I've got writings to share! I'm working on posting all of my poems since I haven't been on in months so bear with me! .. more..

Writing