What Lies Beneath

What Lies Beneath

A Story by David M. Turner
"

What Happens when your ex-girlfriend really is the devil

"
Hours of watching Macgyver paid off. Thanks to that dirty blond genius I was able to get the door to Jaime�s apartment opened with nothing more than a library card. My heart was pounding as the door popped open and I slipped inside. I had never done anything like this before, but I knew it had to be done. I didn�t want to tip anyone off that I was there so I opted for a small flashlight instead of turning the lights on, of course as much time as I had spent here I didn�t really need a light, I could walk this apartment with my eyes closed.

I wasn�t quite sure what I was looking for, anything that would help prove that I wasn�t crazy and that my suspicions were correct. I started with the living room, an obvious choice seeing as how that�s the first room you�re in when you enter the small, one bedroom apartment. I searched diligently through a small stack of magazines next to the recliner, through the extensive DVD collection, under the sofa and lastly under the sofa cushions before moving to the kitchen.
I lingered in the kitchen only briefly. Jaime never ate much and because of that fact there wasn�t much to search through. I quickly rummaged through the cabinets and the fridge before heading to the bedroom.

I headed first to a small filing cabinet she had next to her computer. It was full of various bills, school information and random tidbits of financial history, but nothing to confirm my suspicions. I moved next to her chest of drawers. I shifted through myriads of cloths but my only discovery was an interesting trinket hidden in the back of her underwear draw that had to do with a kinky side she never bothered to share with me. I shut the final draw frustrated. I was running out of time. I had to find something soon so I could get out of here before she got home. That�s when I heard the lock on the front door click and the door open.

Panic gripped me. I couldn�t let her find me here, I had to find a hiding place and find it quick. I couldn�t fit under the bed, there was too much junk piled up under it, the small bathroom would be of no help, my only choice would be the closet. Fortunately I knew the routine she followed when she got home from work and I knew she wouldn�t be looking in there, instead she�d be throwing off her work clothes and going for the comfy sweats stashed in one of the draws that I had just searched. I ducked into the closet just as she entered the room and held my breath.

I peered out through a small crack in the door watching her. Just as I knew she would, she disrobed then pulled out an oversized hooded sweatshirt and sweatpants from her chest of drawers. For a brief moment excitement surged in me at seeing Jaime standing in only her underwear; she was by far the most beautiful girl I had ever dated, then as soon as the excitement surged it disappeared and was replaced by utter horror. Her routine had changed. She dropped the sweats on the bed and removed her underwear. She stretched her arms over her head. A series of loud pops emitted from her that reminded me of my dad and how he always insisted on cracking his knuckles. After a couple seconds the pops were replaced by a ripping sound and I watched in utter disgust as what looked like giant bat wings grew out of her shoulder blades and a tail with a sharp point wiggled like a giant worm out of her lower back and dropped towards the floor, stopping just a couple inches from it. Her arms were still in the air and I saw her fingernails began to elongate into talons. I fought to hold back a scream as her skin turned a sickly green and what looked like scales appeared. Then I caught a glimpse of her face in her make-up stand mirror. Where the whites of her eyes once were was red and where those beautiful green iris�s were that had attracted me to her so many months ago, yellow sat giving her eyes a cat like appearance.

I closed my eyes and prayed that she wouldn�t find me. When I opened them again she was gone. I took a few deep breaths to calm myself and after a few moments I crept out of my hiding spot. The window above her bed was open and after summoning all of my bravery I peaked out and saw a distant figure that resembled a monstrous bat soar over the trees and disappear into the horizon.
I flew from the apartment, my entire body shaking from the terror I had just witnessed. However, despite the fear there was a sense of relief. I had always known it and now, thanks to today�s technology blending cameras and phones, the whole world would know that my ex really was Satan.

© 2008 David M. Turner


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

LOL! Been there! And, I even have the pictures to prove it! It needs to be cleaned up a bit, but I otherwise loved it!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

443 Views
1 Review
Added on February 8, 2008

Author

David M. Turner
David M. Turner

Greensboro, NC



About
Disturbingly Supernatural AnthologyJul 28, 2008 - Aug 28, 2008 I love horror, dark fantasy, suspense and thrillers but also am known to write a poem or two. more..

Writing