Memory

Memory

A Story by Chrisnelly Hernandez
"

Just something old, corny, and cliche. Posting it anyways.

"

            The snow fell softly against her windowpane, but she couldn’t see the beauty of it anymore. It drifted gently to the white ground as she remembered their past, the one where he was still in her life, the one where he loved her, the one where he was alive, and smiling brightly as she walked into the room. Her room, with an ivory table next to the very same window she sat next to now and a single flower of the kind she loved lying atop its polished surface. He had placed it there but she hadn’t seen it, a black ribbon tied around it, and a gold diamond ring sat next to it. It was a red rose, and it still lay there now, withered and blackened with time, as did the ring.

 

            She remembered every word he had spoken to her.

 

            “Don’t cry," he had whispered, pulling her close to him. “I’ll be back soon. I promise.”

 

            It was a memory she repeated in her head over and over again; the time just before the life she had known disappeared and was replaced by the never-ending oblivion she now called her life.

 

            He had held her tightly, kissing her softly, wiped the tears away with each kiss. “I promise, I’ll be back before you know it,” he had said with such certainty that she had no choice but to believe him. But he wasn’t there. He wasn’t standing next to her now, holding her hand in his and it was no one’s fault but her own.

 

            He had smiled down at her, his hand slipping from hers, just before he left but it wasn’t his smile. It had been as if he was slowly fading away. She felt as if she were suffocating as she reluctantly walked him to the door, the feeling getting stronger with each step they took.

 

            She forced herself to remember. Tears swam in her eyes; she could see the memory as if it were reflected against the cold window.

 

            He kissed her once more as she opened the door. Walking into the snow, he stopped in the middle of the street, turning to see her one more time. “I love you,” he had said. He smiled, his smile; the crooked, bright smile she loved so much. But the feeling only grew stronger.

 

A loud bang. His body jolted only a second later. Blood poured from his chest as he collapsed to his knees, his hand reaching out to her just before he fell to the floor. The blood seeped into the pure white snow. She screamed, running to him, forgetting the cold that froze her skin. Sobbing, she knelt down beside his body, turning him over so that she could see his face. She held him close, pleading with him to hold on, but his breathing was getting shallow and the blood was still seeping. She put her hand to the wound, a bullet to the chest, pressing hard to try and stop the bleeding, but she knew that it wouldn’t help him. He was slipping away from her. She cried, shivering, holding him closer to her. She screamed out for help. No one came.

 

            Remembering, she placed her hand against the glass window. The touch was brittle and cold, much like her heart. Recalling his features, she gave him a final kiss.

 

 

© 2012 Chrisnelly Hernandez


Author's Note

Chrisnelly Hernandez
Inspired by "Ain't Afraid to Die" by Dir En Grey

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

192 Views
Added on March 2, 2012
Last Updated on March 2, 2012

Author

Chrisnelly Hernandez
Chrisnelly Hernandez

About
I'm here to learn, not to be praised. Be as brutally honest about my writing as you see fit and give me examples (if you can) on ways to make it better. more..

Writing