Your Fate, Your Fight.

Your Fate, Your Fight.

A Story by M. McDonnell
"

Sometimes you have to shape your own destiny.

"

You can wait for fate to shape your life, or you can take the reins and create your own destiny.

Too often I find myself sitting back and waiting for things to happen.  I think I fall into thinking that if something is meant to happen it will, so in the time being I should just be a good, patient little girl and let fate do its thing.  Then what?  I sit there twiddling my thumbs in anticipation for something that may never happen?  No.  Not anymore.  Any camper will tell you that you need a spark to get the fire.  Any chemist will tell you that you need a catalyst to get the reaction.  Any kid on a tire swing will tell you that you need a push to get into motion.  Why should your life and your desires be any different?

Answer: they shouldn't.  While patience is a virtue, so is tenacity.  There are times when calmly sitting back and waiting is only going to make you restless and unfulfilled.  Sometimes your fate isn't going to come to you--you have to jump right out there, cut down your obstacles, and meet fate halfway.  You ultimately have to be in control of your own life because the second you leave it up to someone or something else, even fate, it's not your life anymore.

"Do something every day, regardless.  Nothing will happen unless you first initiate a process of cause and effect.  This starts with an action.  Reawaken the possibility of possibility." -Unknown.  Listen to that sound advice.  If you're waiting for something--anything--you have to try something every day in order to get it.  It doesn't matter what it is you are seeking.  If in the end you do not get what you wanted, you at least know you exhausted all of your resources and didn't just leave it up to the fickle friend that is fate.

It's okay to let the waters carry you occasionally.  Sometimes it's best to wait.  When you realize what it is that you want, though, you better get ready to fight the current until your legs give out.  Stop waiting.  This is your sign.  If you want it, reach for it.

Good things come to those who wait, but great things come to those who never stop trying.

© 2009 M. McDonnell


Author's Note

M. McDonnell
I didn't know what genre to put it under, so if you have any suggestions please let me know. Thank you. (:

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I don't normally read Writer's Cafe's continous prose, because they can never ever hold my attention, I finished all of this though, like the person below I wouldn't call it a story, I'd classify it as a, "Rallying Cry for the lazy and Misinchanted." It's one of those pieces that you read and it hits home that by sitting around and waiting for something to happen really doesn't work. Brilliantly written and even better it makes me want to get up out of bed and do something despite the fact it is near enough 10 and I have work in the morning!

AHouseOfChambers

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I don't normally read Writer's Cafe's continous prose, because they can never ever hold my attention, I finished all of this though, like the person below I wouldn't call it a story, I'd classify it as a, "Rallying Cry for the lazy and Misinchanted." It's one of those pieces that you read and it hits home that by sitting around and waiting for something to happen really doesn't work. Brilliantly written and even better it makes me want to get up out of bed and do something despite the fact it is near enough 10 and I have work in the morning!

AHouseOfChambers

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Okay, it was very well written. But I'm not sure if this qualifies as a story. It's more like an advice column entry or a reflection on waiting vs. doing. I constantly wish writer's cafe had more categories, because then things like this could be properly organized. I'm not exactly sure what this would go under. Maybe.... monologues, or philosophy. Now that I think about it I really think this fits under monologue. It has the right format. I do like it though. Especially the last line. It really ties the whole thing together. :D

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

183 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 6, 2009
Last Updated on September 7, 2009

Author

M. McDonnell
M. McDonnell

Middle of nowhere, PA



About
I'm the exception to your every rule. more..

Writing