When The Storm Brews

When The Storm Brews

A Story by Demii
"

This a short story about how life can really change around when you don't expect it too.

"

**************************************************************************

Staring into a blank space, hearing the whistling of the winds, and crunching of snow and slush beneath peoples feet. The cold air casing my open skin harshly as I walk on the sidewalk passed the locally famous restaurant downtown. The faint noises of snow blowers and car horns in the background, people rushing to get to into their cars and homes out of the cold, children just getting off from school and skipping by happily, but something churns the air wrong and abrupt.


All of sudden nothing is nearly the same, the winds are no longer whistling they're howling. The crunching of the snow and slush now sound like puddles and loud claps of mud constant almost like running. The faint noises are now loud noises, the cold now doesn't seem to be bothersome but a distraction, the cars are all honking they're horns, children are yelling and crying and the storms just about to brew.


The truck flew by so fast that it didn't have time to do anything, it took out the first two vehicles within its reach. The first car did a quick 180 and was solidly underneath the second vehicle which was half over top a stop sign just missing the bakery, the impact the truck had on the first car was astonishing. It all happened so fast that I didn't even see where the truck had ended up. I ran as fast as I possibly could to the first vehicle, watching the guy in the second vehicle shockingly and scared get out and call the police. I was displeased with the amount of people just standing their watching what was going on rather than helping the situation or even calling someone. My nerves were shot, pure adrenaline flowing through my veins, my heart was pounding heavier and heavier within every step I took, every breath filled the air and disappeared. I was scared, not for me but for them. They're lives.


When I managed to get to the first vehicle I was already too late but I couldn't be for sure. The windows were all broken and smashed and looking at the man he looked rough, maybe mid twenties, dark hair and slim. There were glass shards all over his face, his nose was bent and out of place he was bleeding everywhere, his arm looked swollen and his fingers were defiantly broken. He was unconscious but he was breathing.


The wheel was altered in the way it was easiest and at the moment looked safest to get him. I grabbed the leather wheel firm and pushed with all my might as hard as I possibly could. It jerked a bit, so I repeated and repeated and finally I could here sirens behind me, but I didn't stop. I grabbed the guy as gently as I could, he wasn't a big guy so this wasn't going to be so hard, I didn't want to cause  him more harm than he already had, and any minute now this car could blow.I could see the paramedics rushing to me as I'm pulling and carrying this man the furthest I can until the paramedics grab him. The one paramedic asked me what exactly happened and if I knew the man or was in the vehicle. In his defense I did look like a bloody mess after carrying the man over. I told him everything I knew and did, and asked if I could come along to make sure hes okay.


On the way to the hospital he died, his heart collapsed and they couldn't revive him. At the moment, I felt lost and more hopeless than I could of possibly ever have felt. His life was literally in my arms. My body ached, I couldn't breathe my adrenaline was gone, it left the minute I stepped into this ambulance; but his family. How could I feel such grief and forget about his family. Maybe if I could of managed to walk faster to where I was going, I could of saved him. Thinking like that isn't going to bring him back. We when got to the hospital, I stayed around to meet the family.


A beautiful tall women came in with vibrant red hair, and blue eyes, pale complexion and some freckles on her cheeks and nose. The most saddening and gut wrenching part of seeing her, is seeing her carrying a little girl, who was so young she was still unable to talk. I introduced myself and explained what had happened, and how I was somehow apart of it. Surprisingly she seemed to be forever grateful, she called me a hero. The fact that she had just lost something so pure and precious, and she was thanking me was unbelievable.


My emotions were impossibly swarming my head with guilt, remorse, happiness but most of all just sadness. At the end of the day I managed to get her phone number to keep tabs, make sure she was okay and helped her if she had needed anything. I thought she at least deserved that. Three years later I am now engaged to be married, and I am the step father of a beautiful 4 year girl named Tabitha. I felt that God had sent me down that road for a reason, and seeing how the way things turned around reminds me that God has a plan for everything. Even when the outcome can seem so horrible, in the end things just seem so right.

© 2015 Demii


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

It is a great read. Some of the grammar does need some work but you definitely are descriptive. I like the flow and the image you created. Some dialogue could be used but honestly I do like it. Keep up the great work

Posted 8 Years Ago


Demii

8 Years Ago

Yeah, I uploaded it without editing it. Just overly excited at the time I guess haha. Thank you for .. read more
Lunera

8 Years Ago

Yay! I can't wait :)
The truck flew by so fast that it didn't have time to do anything, it took out the first two vehicles within its reach. (A truck flew by so fast that it didn't have time to stop before plowing into the first two vehicles within its reach.)
When I managed to get to the first vehicle I was already too late but I couldn't be for sure. (either omit "already too late" or revise to say that it appeared you were already late)
"any minute now this car could blow" What leads you to believe the car can blow at any minute? The smell of gas? Flames?
There's a lot of rework that needs attention. Happy writing!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Demii

8 Years Ago

Thanks a lot as I said below. I put it up without editing it what so ever, so I will get to it and c.. read more
An interesting concept, a good twist at the end, this could be improved as Jennie suggested with some dialog. The grammar and spelling needs some serious attention, e.g. here when you mean hear, They're lives for Their, that sort of thing.


Posted 9 Years Ago


Demii

8 Years Ago

Yeah I do plan on editing this. I put it up without any editing, bad choice on my part. I've been su.. read more
I could especially like the description of the weather and coldness. Interesting message, although I am an atheist I see a different reason why this all played out. I see it as a random equation: if it can happen, it will happen. Regardless of beliefs, I like the simple fact that good things can come out of times plagued in carnage and despair. Excellent write.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Demii

8 Years Ago

No that is understandable. There could be various reasons. Thanks a lot for your feedback :)
An awesome message that God turns tragedy to our good. Amazing piece!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Demii

9 Years Ago

Thank you !!
Very imaginative! I like the hopeful ending and it does point out that something good can even come out of tragedy. From the other reviews I see I'm not the only one who liked the ending. I think the story is great as is, but if you do want to expand it, you might reveal some of the details through dialogue.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Demii

9 Years Ago

Thanks a bunch for your feedback and review ! & Yeah I did try thank you ! :)
Congratulations on winning the Need Reviews? V contest!

I must praise the description of this story. The ending was fit and the happy ending fit. We always worry that happy endings kill the depth of the story, but that's not always the case, and you proved it! Well done! :)

-Mila

Posted 9 Years Ago


Demii

9 Years Ago

Thanks so much, thats so exciting :) & I really tried, for it to be ironic or different! I appreciat.. read more
Wow. This was a beautiful story.
I really loved how it ended. I love how he was sent to them...
I love how the end can give hope to those who seem a little lost..

Great piece Demii!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Demii

9 Years Ago

Thanks for the kind review. :) I was aiming for a happy ending!
♥ Ari Skye ♥

9 Years Ago

It was fantastic!
It's the great description, you use a really imagination we seem to watch a movie. each detail excellent descripted.



Posted 9 Years Ago


Demii

9 Years Ago

Thanks so much, that's what I was aiming for :)
Wow. I love it. Very descriptive and meaningful about life...Bravo....:).......

Posted 9 Years Ago


Demii

9 Years Ago

Thanks a bunch, I appreciate it :)
Sami Khalil

9 Years Ago

Welcome a bunch...:)......

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

523 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 2, 2015
Last Updated on March 3, 2015
Tags: #accidents, #death #romance #sad

Author

Demii
Demii

Belleville, Qunite, Canada



About
"Challenges are what make life interesting and overcoming them is what makes life meaningful" My name is Demii, which is short for Demereace. I'm in my first year of college at Loyalist College. I'.. more..

Writing
Little Girl Little Girl

A Poem by Demii


A Journey A Journey

A Poem by Demii



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


50/50 50/50

A Poem by Green


Voices of Hope Voices of Hope

A Stage Play by MomzillaNC