Finding the Lost - Chapter 1

Finding the Lost - Chapter 1

A Story by Haley Choi
"

Who is Annie Bowers? Is this gorgeous tall brunette with piercing blue eyes just another person, or something more? Something dangerous, something good, or something evil? Is she a savior, or a murder

"

I wake up with an uneasy feeling in my gut. Like a restless wasp snuck down my throat and stung my entire stomach on a mad rampage. I look blankly around the room, clutching my covers close to fight the freezing breeze rushing through the open window. Damn you, Annie. Remember to close the window, stupid.

I lay for a second in the quiet room, enjoying the peace in finally living alone. I told them I would be living like this. I swore to my parents that once I turned 18, I would be out of their hair quicker than they could say "Anne Vienna Bowers". It was their own fault. Their rules and expectations sucked the meaning out of my life, a life that they always wanted. They wanted so much, and I couldn't give them all they wanted. Straight A student, Prom Queen, Captain of the Soccer Team and so much more..that isn't me. I was always one to question why I do the things I do. Most of the time, my answer was simple, my parents told me to. Eventually, I decided for myself for the first time. I packed all that I needed, clothing, a thick sleeping bag, food and roughly $250 and was on my way. On my way to my own life, where I was in charge. And two months later, here I am. Still alive, well and genuinely happy. Finally.

Their high expectations was just one reason why I left without a sound. I wish I could tell my parents the other half of the story, but I'm having trouble wrapping my own mind around it. Around what happen to him, to Jon. I was 17, less than a year ago. It was a kiss, that eventually led to things I'm not proud of. My parents always told me to wait until I was married, but I couldn't help myself around him. He was persistent, and I was "in love" with him. His begging got to me, and I gave him what he asked for. I got a little too feisty, and in the morning, he was gone. Not gone as in he left, but gone, as in dead. Its as though I drained the life out of him.

I was horrified, and took off again. City to city, until I found a nice little abandoned building to call home. It just needed a few finishing touches and home sweet home. That's where I am now, that's where I always want to be. But I guess fate has different plans for me. Great.

_______________________________________________

After about twenty minutes of arguing with myself to find the motivation to get out of bed, I mosey over to the window. I stick my head outside a get a good whiff of a new day that's ice cold. It smells of isolation and freedom. Just how I like it. Nothing out of the ordinary catches my eye, so I head to the bathroom. I'm immediately dissatisfied with that thing called my reflection. Look at it, it's a train wreck. My dark chocolate brown hair was neatly tied back before the night, now it's all over the place, hanging out and sticking up in whatever ways it wants. If I didn't know any better, I would think I was having long, passionate sex all night to get my hair like this. On the other hand, my eyes look surprisingly nice. A light blue with a hint of mystery with no bags underneath, perfect. I quickly fix my hair back into the sleek ponytail I had it in the night before, splash my face with some cold water, change clothes and head for the door. I grab an apple, hoping it will calm my stomach nerves, and snatch my keys and I'm out the door.

I work at a little restaurant called Konroy's. My job's easy, "Hi, my name's Annie, and I'll be your server today." Sounds simple enough, but I hate it. I hate my job, I hate working with people. Especially the old creeps who obviously take advantage of the all-day bar we have here at Konroy's. They're always too drunk to get their asses out to their cars, but have enough sobriety to hit mine. The dicks. I swear, the next guy over 45 to even think about it will be dead within five seconds. If it's a kiss they want, it's a kiss they'll get.

Today's aroma at Konroy's is different than the usual. Of course there's still the old drunken hags who smell like s**t that I still have to serve, but it's something else. I couldn't put my finger on it until she walked in. I was serving my "lucky customers", aka drunk perverted b******s, when a girl walked in. She's much smaller than me, I'd say 5 feet even. She's of Asian descent, probably Korean, with a small red streak running from the top of her head down past her shoulders along with the rest of her dark brown almost black hair. She definitely has a baby face, with a mole on her left cheek. It's kinda cute, honestly. But she's too young to be here alone. Rules are, you have to be at least 18 without parental supervision. She's at least two years my junior. No one seems to notice her but me, and apparently, I was the one she was looking for. She began walking towards me, a facial expression I'd know from my three-and-a-half years in public high school. An expression that says Hey, I have a secret. And by the way she's coming, I can tell she needs me to know what exactly that secret is.

© 2012 Haley Choi


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

203 Views
Added on May 1, 2012
Last Updated on May 1, 2012
Tags: science fiction, runaway, los, t succubus, vampire, light, dark, scifi, good, evil, human, fae, young, annie, blood, action, adventure, danger, humor

Author

Haley Choi
Haley Choi

Columbus, OH



About
I'm a 16-year old, full time student who happens to write in my free time. I love music, art and writing. more..