Not titled yet

Not titled yet

A Chapter by Kendyl
"

Kendall Etheridge is a very sought after human by the supernatural beings. Demigods are sent from heaven to protect humans, and 2 demigod brothers fall in love with her and fight for her love and life

"
For as long as I could remember, the word death only associated alongside a vision of my parents' faces. Faces that I could only remember thanks to pictures. And even as the killer sauntered towards me, it wasn't fear I felt, but rather peace. Freedom. 
The hurt, loneliness, confusion --- it would all be lifted. The end was a couple steps away, approaching rather quickly but seeming to take forever. 
It seemed like a noble way to die. In place of those you love. I hadn't given much thought to it before, or ever, but sitting on the cold ground with my back against the wall was the moment when I thought about it most. I accepted this sentence, welcomed it with open arms. 
He reached me and his deep pits of eyes bored into me. He brought his face close to my neck and breathed in my scent. It was something that usually scared me, but this time I laughed rather than screamed. Confusion and anger danced across his face. 
He bared his dangerous canines and flung into my neck for the kill.   


“Oh cut the crap, Kendall. Seriously. How do you expect to get through junior year with that kind of attitude? Tell yourself that you’re going to have a great day, and you’ll believe it,” My best friend Camille Wilson’s voice sounded through my iphone. From the other end I could hear her shut the car door to her bug and start up the engine. I, on the other hand, was still in the comfort of my room. My face was swallowed under the comforter on my bed and my phone was pressed between my cheek and the pillow. I pictured her shoulder length brunette hair straightened with a skinny headband. I could literally see her sporting kitten heels and perfectly manicured fingernails. 
It was the very first day of our junior year in high school, and unlike Cami, any place equivalent to hell was not something I was fond of. She thrived in academic activities like class president, head of the dance committees, and anything she had the ability to organize or control. I thrived at sleeping in class, surviving until lunch, and inwardly crying. So, as expected, she was eager to get the school year started and force a great year upon our friends. She had been going on for what seemed like 2 hours about how this year was going to be different. Better. She can “just feel it.” Typical Cami. 
I moaned into the phone. She gasped, “Are you still in bed or something? Classes start in 20 minutes, are you crazy?” 
“No, actually. I’m the sane one. You’re crazy. School is the last place I want to be right now,” I moaned again and shoved my face deeper into the pillow, “I’m not ready to let go of Summer!” 
“You and me both.” 
Lie.
“But,” she continued her lecture, “You don’t really have a choice. So when I hang up, you’re going to get up and get ready for the beginning of a new chapter.” The line cut off. I could almost hear the smile in her tone of voice. That was Cami for you, a breathing ball of sunshine and Ghandi. 
Knowing that the drive to school was short and it didn’t take me long to get ready, I was in no hurry to start this “new chapter.” The idea sounded nice, but that whole deal came with new responsibilities, new classes, new things to stress over, and the same people. Not to mention, being 17 should put me as a senior, but apparently I started school late. I was so content with summer! Laying in the sun, the parties, and my best friends --- Camille and Victoria. I may be good at exaggeration, but I’m even better at being carefree. 
 I pulled back the comforting blankets and reluctantly stood at the side of my bed. I made my way to the window and thoughtfully peered out through the glass. The window overlooked the front lawn of our old colonial house, and I could see the house of Simon Moore, our childhood family friend. His Jeep was still in the driveway, so he hadn’t left for school yet either. The sun was shining a little above the horizon, and I watched a morning dove perch on a branch of the tree in our lawn. It sat calmly and waited for its mate to join. Once together, they flapped their wings and flew out of my sight. What would it be like? I wondered. What would it be like to fly away from everyone and everything at any chosen moment? No cares or thinking. Just love and freedom. But then I remembered that that was a bird and I was a human and I was being melodramatic.
  I walked over to the gold-rimmed vanity mirror beside my dresser and cringed at my reflection. Blonde hair sprang out in all directions, and I think I saw a little bit of drool dried onto my right cheek. I chuckled a little bit at myself and shrugged. I hurried to brush my teeth and pop in my contacts before I pulled on a pair of dark wash jean shorts, a blouse patterned with pastel flowers, and nude flip flops. Thank God my nails and toenails were painted a pretty shade of soft pink. My tan was still strongly intact from summer, which gave me an easy out for doing my makeup. I settled on a little foundation, blush, and mascara to make my bright blue eyes stand out even more. Considering my hair had a natural beach wave effect, I could easily get away without brushing it. It’s really not as gross as it sounds. I fixed wild pieces with my fingers, and stared at myself when I was finished. Trying my hardest not to think too much, I shrugged once more and turned away to snatch my phone and purse. 
I walked down the stairs and through the living room to the kitchen and saw my brother, Zach, sitting at the kitchen table. He was eating a bowl of Lucky Charms and looked up at me when I came down. 
“Looks like the beast has awaken.” He joked through a mouthful of cereal. “I was wondering when you’d come down. You are my ride to school, remember?” 
I ruffled his shaggy brown hair and sat beside him. “Morning to you too, sunshine. Since when did everyone start wanting to go to school suddenly, anyway? I can’t be the only one who wants Summer. And if that is the case, then I’m moving because we’re not related.” 
Before I finished my remark, Uncle Elvin peered around the corner in a bath robe gripping a cup of coffee and a copy of the newspaper he pretended to read. His glasses had slid halfway down his nose, and he possessed a really bad case of bedhead. 
“Good morning Kendall. How’d you sleep last night?” Concern flashed through his kind green eyes and any light emotions I contained had dropped. I knew this question didn't have the average motive of being asked by any other parent, and he wasn't expecting a casual answer either. 
I had been having nightmares lately with my parents in them. It was always the same dream, and it was one I didn’t like discussing. They were standing in a small room together, both of them engulfed in flames but not seeming to be in any pain, or even having burning skin. I was standing right outside of the fire straining to get to them, to reach out and save them, but I didn’t have any strength to move a muscle. So I stood there helpless and watched the flames lick harmlessly around them, almost peaceful. Before they closed their eyes for good, my mother always reached out to hand me a key --- but that’s when I would wake up. It was a dream I continued to have for several nights on end. I confided in my uncle for comfort, but regretted it when he relentlessly nagged afterward. 
This day marked the 6th year anniversary of my parents death. Although I had moved on for the most part, the thought of them stayed with me forever. I was 11 when they died of a house fire that took our home down to the ground along with their lives. Zach and I were at school when it all happened. Although Zach was only 9, the death and the memory of them impacted him like a tidal wave as well, more or less. We each went through stages of depression, shutting people out until we came to terms with the reality of our situation. Zach relied on sports, and I… well, I relied on not thinking too much.  
We were orphans. We had each other and we had Uncle Elvin. He was my dad’s brother and someone we never really spent a lot of time with or got to know, but he was the only family we had left, so we were put under his custody. For six years he still hadn’t quite mastered the parenting lifestyle. Having yet to find a balance between his old life and being our gaurdian, he was an occasional bar-hopper with a wild soul and an adventurous attitude. Although is favorite phrase was, "what do you call your life if you're not living," we knew he covered his stress well. He’s 37 and never had kids of his own, and I understood he was still managing to catch the curveball that life threw him. He put his life on hold for us, and for that I’m thankful.
“I slept fine.” I lied. Although I had the dream again last night, I wanted him to drop it. We were usually fine when it came to openly talking about our parents, but lately with the dreams and the anniversary… it was just too much. 
“Are you sure?” He hesitated, “I know what this day is for you guys. For all of us. It might be best if you want to talk about it. You know, get it all out before the day actually starts.”    
What the hell Uncle Elvin? Of course we didn’t want to talk about it. “Share-and-tell” doesn’t necessarily run in our family blood lines. I only shared the stupid dreams with him because it’s hard to tell someone a lie when you’re crying in the middle of the night. 
“Actually, we really have to get to school now.” Zach studied the watch on his left wrist in attempt to avoid conversation. He went to put his bowl in the sink and said, “See you later Uncle Elvin,” as he made his way down the hall and out the door. Uncle Elvin’s gaze dropped to the floor and he stood there ashamed for bringing it up. 
I relaxed and gave a sympathetic look to our uncle. He really was a caring guy, and his efforts meant the most to me, even if Zach or I didn't always acknowledge it. I walked over to him where he leaned against the wall and gave him a light kiss on the cheek. “It’s not your fault, it’s all just a little sensitive I guess. Thanks for looking out for us. I’ll text you later, okay?” I smiled at him and he smiled back. 
“Have a great day, Kendall.” 
I rolled my eyes. “Let’s be reasonable here.” 



After driving nearly 2 minutes through the calm suburbs of our hometown, I pulled the SUV into the student parking lot of Forthwind High School. It was a fairly small school in Forthwind, Connecticut, and the population showed it --- 360 students. Everyone knew everyone, or at least knew each others' names. The students were either higher than their grades, or made academics their lifetime focus. Girls tried too hard to get attention from the nearest boy, and the guys were one and the same --- fishing for girls and participating in athletics for the school with the best lacrosse team in the state. 
The mascot for Forthwind was a wolf, and I saw a guy in the costume walk around the green lawn at the front of the building. The wolf was gray and supposed to appear scary, but the features of its face made it look like a stuffed animal for a three-year-old. The Jersey was hunter green with two gold stripes along the sleeves, a black v-neck, and the number 00 written in white. In attempt to get the students hype, he shouted things like, "Go Wolves!" or "It's going to be a great year, everyone!" I laughed seeing everyone change direction and avoid the talking reminder of school.  
An empty parking spot wasn’t much of a challenge to find, although the front slots were taken since we didn't come super early. Once the car was turned off, I was ready to open my door before Zach stalled. 
He faced towards me and looked almost uneasy, like he was searching for the words of what he was about to say. I waited patiently and rested a hand on his leg. I searched through his eyes and gave the best reassuring smile I could manage. “Hey, you okay? I have an idea for what you must be thinking right now, and maybe Uncle Elvin was right. Maybe it is better to talk or let yourself think before. You can talk to me about anything, Zach.” And he knew he could. We always had that type of relationship since before I could remember. Sure, he was my brother and I wanted to knock his teeth out at times, but Zach and I were totally the same, yet totally different. Despite our differences, we were like two peas in a pod. 
“I can barely remember them,” he hesitantly started, “It’s like they’re a faint memory and I think that’s what gets me the most. It’s not only the anniversary of them being gone, it’s the start of another year without them. They’ve never seen me play lacrosse, Kendall. They won’t be here to help us with school problems or life problems. It’s a year that brings us closer to graduation and they won’t even get to see that.” He trailed off almost angrily and bit his lip to prevent a breakdown. I sighed sympathetically and reached my hand up to brush back his hair like I imagined a mother would, and then I smiled and pulled him in for an embrace. 
I wished I could have stayed in the car with him and talked all day. Sometimes it felt as if he was the only person I had, and I was the only person he had. Our friends were there, sure, but they hadn't gone through anything we had. There were times when I wanted nothing more than a motherly touch to comfort me on my worst days, and I wished Zach would let Uncle Elvin take on a fatherly figure for him. I added Zach's pain on top of mine and tried to always stay strong for both of us.
“But that’s not true,” I said, “They’re here and you and I both know it. They’ve always been here and they will continue to be here every day with you. I know it’s hard, I know.” I pulled back and gripped his limp shoulders firmly. Maintaining his gaze I encouraged, “So this school year, we’re going to make a deal. We can think about it and talk about it whenever we want to each other, but we won’t let it burden us. You’ll play lacrosse and be the best version of you that you could possibly be, and I’ll do the same. Minus the lacrosse part.” We both chuckled. “We have to imagine school as a release, rather than a trap.” 
He gave me an appreciative look and nodded his head. I realized that under his tough façade, the little boy side of him still made appearances every now and then. It was almost reassuring to me that I could let my little girl side show every now and then as well. And despite his moment of weakness, I could easily see how mature he had grown. A feeling of warmth grew over me.
“So I guess this is a good change of attitude for you then. A school-approving Kendall, huh? Are you sure this is you or has Cami taken over here?” 
I rolled my eyes at his speculative look. “It’s not school that I dread so much. I mean, it is, but you just helped me come to terms with the real reasons I didn’t want to be here today,” I smiled at my little brother, “so thank you.” 
The moment being shortly lived, he waved me away and ruffled my hair. “Yeah, yeah. I’m done with this pep talk, off to hell for me,” he teased as he contradicted our whole bonding moment and walked out across the parking lot and towards the building. Just like that he was gone. I laughed to myself and got out of the car then too. 
Once I reached the front lawn of the old school, I walked down the paved walkway towards the entrance. Outside, a group of students were hanging a handmade banner that read: 
Welcome back
Classes of Forthwind High! 
Holding back vomit from seeing the sign, I got stuck walking into the building behind a couple holding hands. Thank you for reminding me how single and alone I am. 
Someone shouted my name right before I reached the doors, and I spun around to see the mascot jogging over to me. He pulled of his mask to reveal Simon Moore, my oldest friend. His brown crew cut hairstyle drooped a little in the front, and he wiped away tiny beads of sweat that slowly ran down his forehead. He propped the large wolf head between his left forearm and hip bone and smiled a cute crooked smile at me. 
"I would give you a hug," I began wrinkling my nose, "but you look like you just got out of a pool." 
He laughed and took off a wolf paw to run his hand through his hair. "You try being in this thing during 75 degree weather." I held my hands up in a way that said "I surrender," and he snagged me in for a big hug despite my protests. 
"Ew! Simon!" I struggled to be free of his grip. To strangers it may have seemed like a cute couple moment, but to us it was typical Simon and Kendall. Best friends since diapers. Although, don't get me wrong, he was inarguably the hottest guy at our school. He always had a cute boyish smile plastered on his face, and sweet hazel eyes that seemed to really care when he looked at you. His abs were a hot topic over the summer, being successful at keeping a fit body between gym routines and the lacrosse team. He was an only child, but his mother raised him well to be a gentleman. If we weren't already strictly friendzoned, than perhaps he would be just my type. 
"I feel like I haven't seen you in ages." He released me and I teasingly pushed him back. 
"Yeah, okay," I said sarcastically, "because you weren't just over last night, glued to the xbox with Zach." He shrugged. Zach was one of his best friends. They were a grade apart, but they had also known each other forever. They were both captains of the lacrosse team, and girls swooned after them when they walked by. It was entertaining yet disgusting to watch. 
"You have any classes with Cami or Tori?" He asked. 
"Chemistry with Cami and calculus with Tori." 
He smiled proudly, "And lucky you, english with me." 
"How could I ever forget? I may survive some of these classes." 
"Not to mention all three are in a row for you." 
I looked at him skeptically. "What, you've been studying my schedule, Moore?" He looked down, as if he were embarrassed. Weird. Trying to make it less awkward, I added with a light laugh, "I'm kidding. I was curious to see who I had classes with too." 
"Who knows, maybe I just love you," he joked, dragging out the "o" in love and making kissy noises. I fake gagged myself with my finger and he laughed. 
"Okay, I have duties to fulfill." He put his glove back on and smirked at me. "See you in english Kenny." Before I could shoot something back at him, he spun around and jogged off before placing the wolf head back on over his own. 
Continuing on with where I had left off, I walked straight through the halls of Forthwind High, exchanging hellos between friends of whom I hadn’t kept in touch with, and even hugs from the people who were too happy to see me. Managing to keep a smile the whole way, I finally caught sight of Camille and Victoria standing in front of a water fountain. I rushed over to them, relieved to be free of following eyes. 
My wardrobe predictions were right. Cami's tall figure stood with her weight on her left heel. They were nude kitten heels, and she wore a cute high waisted black skirt that had buttons running up the front. Tucked in was a loose white tank top that read "Fearless" in black graphic letters. Her brown hair was, as predicted, straightened a little past her shoulders and the bangs pulled back with a skinny headband. 
Across from her was Victoria Taylor leaning against the wall with her back to me. She wore a light blue, skin tight baby tee and white jean shorts. Her super long curly red hair spilled across her back side. Cami's mouth yapped away to her, probably about her plans for making this year successful, and Tori's head bobbed up and down. She could have been pretending to care like anyone else would be in that situation, but Tori was different in that way. She always genuinely cared.
When Cami caught the slightest glimpse of me, she stopped talking and squealed. Tori turned around so they were both facing me when I approached. I greeted them with a wave.
“I knew you’d get out of bed today!” she joked, “isn’t this exciting?”
Tori sighed in Cami’s direction. “Nothing is exciting about school, Camille, but,” she continued, “I do hear we have a hot calculus teacher.” Her eyebrows raised happily. 
I laughed. “We have a hot teacher? Well that’s a first."  


© 2014 Kendyl


Author's Note

Kendyl
I couldn't fit the proper description, I don't have any titles yet, all feedback is appreciated so let me know what you think. Is it good so far? I haven't gotten into the gist of the actual story, this is just what I have right now. Thanks everyone!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Well, I'm excited to read more. I think this is a great start to your story. They only thing I don't like is the prologue. I know it's probably necessary but it doesn't make any since right now. Keep writing because I'll look for more!

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

157 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 5, 2014
Last Updated on February 5, 2014
Tags: chapter, chapter 1, book, novel, teen, love, romance, fantasy, supernatural, vampires, werewolves, demigods, powerful, life, fiction


Author

Kendyl
Kendyl

About
Young writer. more..

Writing