Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Bay C.

                Here, in our humble land of Somnium, there are tales of a creature known as a Human. These stories, while quite similar to the stories of the Angels you have all heard before, are not quite as well known. And sadly, neither are widely believed by the general public. Most, in their ignorance, decide to pass such narratives off as fairy tales, meant merely to frighten their children. However, I guarantee you that all accounts of humans, Angels, and any other such things that you may or may not believe are all very true, and that all are important in this epic. I however, at the present, choose to give more focus to the humans.


                Now I know what you are thinking; “This kind, dashing gentleman sure did interest us greatly with his spectacular introduction! However, he has neglected to tell us exactly what a human is!” And, for those who are fussing and fretting about being kept in the dark, you may rest easy. I won’t let any of my dear audience be lost, it ruins the story. Before we delve in any further, I shall be kind enough to give you a brief description of humankind and their involvement in Somnium.


                Humans are somnoid figures who stand on two legs, very much like you and I. (Although, if you are indeed one of the many non-somnoid peoples who inhabit this land, I humbly apologize for potentially offending you. If I could, I would invite you over for a cup of tea and apologize more formally. There is a lovely view of the ocean from my residence, I am sure it would be enjoyable.) Their pigmentation varies from pale peach to dark brown, and most stand between five and six feet. However, some are known to grow taller than even that, or never reach the minimum height in that bracket at all. Otherwise, there is nothing much distinctive about them. No horns, gills, fins, tails, claws, wings, or any ornamentation to speak of. Much like The Somnians, if it helps to think in those terms.


                Now, Humans are extremely important to Somnium, as they supposedly provide the means by which our world thrives. Whenever human sightings rise, so as well does evolution in Somnium and all that it entails. As such, the more superstitious Somnians - those few who are well versed in such stories - regard Human beings as good omens.


                (Any elaborations on the general public’s part past this point are inconsistent and largely drivel, and therefore I will abstain from boring you with it.)


                The first humans to arrive in Somnium were three unfortunate children. Although they were the first to arrive, they were not the first humans Somnium had witnessed. “Chronologically”, I’m afraid, is a very relative term in this tale.


                But the human children (all of whom have now perished) were the cause of the first big boom in Somnian history. Indeed, before their arrival, Somnium hardly existed at all. There was virtually nothing in terms of civilization; one would have been lucky even to stumble upon a small village. Mountains and deserts filled most of the land. Many of the prosperous civilizations we are familiar with today either did not exist struggled to survive. It was not until these children’s arrival that this land began to prosper. The only beings to have ever made this connection wholly (Besides myself and to a lesser degree the very, very few mentioned earlier,) were the Angels, Somnium’s second great mythos.


                Angels, you see, are rather clever and logical beings who lack even a single shred of empathy for other creatures. They, therefore, saw no wrong in figuring out a way to draw more humans into Somnium once their original specimens’ lifespans had expired. After all, what is more important; the lives of a few measly humans, or prosperity for an entire land? (Although it is rather doubtful that the Angels were thinking of the Somnians as a whole at the time) Since the first three have arrived, many more groups of humans have awoken to find themselves in Somnium.


                Yet the supply is by no means constant or consistent. Humans arrive in small groups and are immensely difficult to acquire. Anyone who pays attention, however, will always know when there are humans in Somnium, as their presence never fails to yield explosive results.


                Three of these groups have created a lasting impact far greater than what their kin normally ignite. The first led us on the path to prosperity and began it all, the second heralded the ascension of the Bogeyman, which is a very interesting story that you have obviously heard at least partially (As well as one of my personal favorites) that I promise to tell another day. This particular story, however, follows the third group: four children, all 16 years of age, two males and two females.

                These four human children are our heroes. These are the children who will destroy the world.


© 2012 Bay C.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

87 Views
Added on November 3, 2012
Last Updated on November 3, 2012


Author

Bay C.
Bay C.

Canyon Lake, TX



About
Hi! My name is Bay, and my best friend Sean are working on our first novel that will, hopefully, turn into a series of novels. I'm looking for all the critique we can get at this point, since I'm hopi.. more..

Writing