My Canada

My Canada

A Story by lawrence bear
"

2009 Wold Juniors. Team Canada vs team USA for Gold

"

 

            Last night was one of the most spectacular games I ever watched. Both teams were evenly matched, and the score tied up until the 3rd period. The Americans showed their skill with speed, passing, hitting and shooting. Where as some Canadian viewers probably turned off the tube when the USA team went up 2 goals in the last few minutes of the game. I sat and watched, and said to myself, "They'll tie it up, they always do." and that my friends is where team Canada's player Jordan Eberle who was dubbed the 'Messiah', stepped up to the plate.

 

            Canada was all over the USA team in their zone, but their goalie stood on his head as he made save after save. There was one timer’s from the slot, rebounds he deflected away, he had the crowd on their feet Wooing shot after shot and save after save. My hair on the back of my neck stood on end as Canadian forward's stormed the net, only to be turned away from the USA goalie.

             The score was 5-3 late in the third where team USA received a penalty for tripping. Now comes the heart and soul of our country, Jordan Eberle looked around to his players, dropped his head, which looked like a quick prayer. The face-off was to right of the USA netminder. The music was blaring, you can imagine how loud it is in Saskatoon, where the Junior Championship was held. The crowd chanting 'Eh! O - Canada go!' with my hands gripped like I'm praying, but silently... I was.

 

The puck drops, Canada wins it. They pass it around for a bit looking for the open man. The USA players made some good blocks, but scrambled to get it out of their zone. The play was kept deep in the left corner, a Canadian player picks it up, and cycles with the puck. With a quick pass to the point, then a pass back down low, a quick shot on net. The goalie makes the save, it rebounds out. It’s a mad scramble to the loose puck. But one Canadian Defence recovers it and makes a move on a USA forward who was back checking him, and then dangles another player to keep it in play.

He loses it for a second but manages to get around another American forward who plays the puck. The crowd is deafining and Canada still has it. There is a pass off to the open slot. Eberle one times the shot, dipping his shoulder into his shot... He scores. The house erupts into an all around frenzy. All players, on the bench and on the ice, look up to the clock to see how much time is remaining. 2 minutes the clock reads and I'm at home my hands in the air like it was me that scored.

The house is louder than low flying jet. Like a giant fan whirling, prompting our boy's the Canadian team to keep playing, not to give up, the fat lady hasn't sung yet. The play continues as Canada scored on a power play. They skate harder now, dumping and chasing. Both teams exchange shots and the USA team had a sweet chance in front of the Canadian net. As one of their players was left all alone and had tipped a slap shot from the point onto an unexpected netminder, just catching sight of it at the last second, it was one of the best saves of the game.

 

The puck trickles by the net rolling past, inches from the post and the house is screaming. Canada picks it up and storms down to the USA zone, a blistering slap shot is taken. Canada keeps in play, and another scramble is in front of the USA goalie. Eberle jumps back on the ice and quickly gets into the play, the puck bounces to him. He swipes at a bouncing puck falling, the goalie makes one save, it rebounds back to Eberle. He nearly fans on it as it bounces off the goalie that was down and out, and it rolls across the goal line. Once again the house explodes into a roar. Eberle jumps up and raises his arms in the air, practically running on the ice. He is mobbed by his overly excited teammates as they swarm him. My heart is racing, and I'm watching on TV. Seconds seemed like minutes as once again, all players look to the big clock. it's 5-5 with 1:25 left to play in the third, which plays out.

 

Over-time is next... the crowd is booming, the players on the Canadian bench are bumping gloves. Do I have your heart racing? I'm sure across Canada, we were are all excited. Hearts pounding like drum. Time for a quick washroom break, or another beer perhaps. The Messiah, our pride and joy of our country, Jordan Eberle tied the game with his heroics. You may wonder why he is called the 'Messiah'... lets go back a game to where his name, Messiah came from. Canada was playing Russia. And Russia was leading by one goal and with seconds left, seconds... Russia had it in the bag, they had it. All they had to do was play it out of their zone, that's all, win the draw and bank it off the boards or flick it out, but instead they dumped it and icing was called. Not a smart play when you're playing to advance to the Gold medal round.

 

These are mere seconds, under 30 seconds. Jordan Eberle is on the ice playing left wing. The face-off was to the left of the Russian goaltender. The puck drops and Russia wins it, but their winger misplays the bouncing puck, Eberle is there.... he tucks it by a Russian defender and is pushed down, on his knees with a fraction of a second, he dekes out the sprawling Russian goal tender and with one hundredth of a second that is on the tv screen, He scores. This had catapulted Canada to win the game in another exciting over-time. Where as Eberle scored the tying goal with a fraction of a second left and it ignited the house, the people around the world watching, and here in Canada to jump off their feet in excitement; even the cameraman is jumping as the screen bounces around. Canada wins and advances to the Gold medal game. Canada had won Gold fives times previously, and here it was for number six.

 

Okay I hope that was enough time, for you to do your business. Hey, by the way... can I have one of your beers? No... Okay where were we... oh yeah, I remember now. Canada vs USA. These are big names in hockey. Two giants in hockey to be exact, huh, what's that? Get to the game! Oh sorry for rambling, ha-ha I do get sort of carried away... Oops I'm doing it again.

            Okay let’s begin the 4th period, Over-time....
            

Let's fast forward a bit... Zzzzzip. Both teams show skill of power, where hits are so hard, ones that make you jump to your feet and say, 'Oo baby, that gotta hurt!' The USA forwards shows dynamic skill of speed, and hard powerful shots. Now its the goalie's turn to shine, they make save after save, and the hip-checks that are thrown, 'Holy Mackeral, did you see that?' kind of hits that send the crowd into a roar.

It's a 20-minute sudden death over-time. If nothing is settled after this one, it still would be sudden death, but with 4 on 4 hockey after this period. There is no shoot-out in this game, which is one hell of a good game by the way. Whoops sorry for the language. Team USA storms the net, and speed is the factor here, and it’s a foot race. A breakaway for USA, he shoots and dings one off the post that woo’s the crowd. Now, it's down to the last plays of the game.

 

Canada has it, and it's a three on two rush down into the USA zone, and the trailing center is open. The play goes deep into the USA zone, a play is made, a pass to an open Canadian player. He winds up and shoots a one timer from the slot. This play is almost a duplicate play, where team Canada beat Russia in the infamous 1987 World Cup. Canada storms down the right side, and Gretzky feeds Lemieux... he shoots... he scoooores... Mario Lemuiex top shelf's it for Canada winning 6-5 in over-time. The Copps Collosium was a mad house.

 

Okay, back to the Juniors game, this play was on the opposite side, The Canadian player puts all he had into this blister of a shot. A screen shot at that, big save, a rebound, Canada over skates it. A USA defender picks it up, dishes to a curling winger who then passed it up to a streaking "Carlson" a strong player, a strong skater, an all around finesse player. He storms down the left side, leading a three on one rush. Everyone is standing; I'm standing as the Canadians are caught deep back in the USA zone as they are left scrambling back.

Carlson has it, he looks to see who is following, he looks down at the puck. The Canadian defender plays the pass and drops to block the play. Carlson looks again, then lets go a mean wrist shot. He shoots... he scooooores... top corner glove side. The Canadian players look to the heaven's in disbief, as I too sink back into my couch. My heart goes out to them, our boy's, our Canadian team. They watch as team USA pile on each other, winning the Gold in this dramtic over-time, stopping the streak at five.

 

Tears fill our boy's eyes as they look on, knowing they were playing with every ounce of heart and soul. I know the feeling of what they go through, as you look onto the team that just beat you, in a big game such as this. The feeling you have, is like a broken heart, a death. it was everything you knew, and to watch it crumble before you, well, you get the point. I was a hockey player once, and its pride we play for. When you wear your nations symbol. You carry the torch in hopes of nothing will blow it out. We skate with honor, oh wait a second, let me put it this way...

 

             All players pray before going into battle, they see the game, the big game as a battle field. It’s a war that rages out there. Through blood sweat and tears, they strive forward. They wear the Maple Leaf with pride, joy, and honor. They fight for Canada, as it were their Queen. Their skates are their horses, their sticks are their swords, and when they don the hockey equipment, as it was their armour, like a Knight preparing for battle.

            "We fight for our pride, we fight for honor, and we fight... for Glory."

 

My heart fell, because I know the feeling to well. But with their heads held high, they honored our country by giving their all. As Canadian hockey players who don the symbol our nation, we pour every ounce of love for the game out onto the ice surface, we show how much Canada means to us. And as Canadians... We live by Vince Lombardi's quote alone.

"Winning isn't everything.... It's the only thing."

            Thank you for reading, 
            I love my country, I love those boy's for trying. From one hockey player to another...
            It is, for the love of the game, that we carry the torch for. And nothing... is ever over. With love and respect to all hockey players through out the world, peace be with you. Play hard, play smart, and may your dreams come true.


My Canada.

© 2013 lawrence bear


Author's Note

lawrence bear
thank you for reading :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

While reading your narration I thought I was watching the game. I don't know what else to say

Posted 11 Years Ago


lawrence bear

11 Years Ago

Thank you tony2003, I am glad you visualized the game through my eyes as intended. I am glad you enj.. read more
Still brings tear to me eyes and you have a great way of reliving the moment. good flow my fellow brother from the frozen North. Do you remember 72, Paul Henderson scoring the winner in Russia. The first Canada Cup. You are probably to young.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Hot damn, I always feel bad for those kids when I think about it. Still, they were lifted to our shoulders for their achievements. Which would be worse, celebrated as a silver medal team, or to be unknown as gold medal winners. Collectively, Canadian's hearts were broken on that day, but to think that only a few in the states even knew that an epic battle took place?

Got to say though, Eberle will forever be known in Canada for his last minute heroics. Can't wait until next holiday season.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


This was totally enthralling!
I am an American and will always root for my country, but with your descriptions, I started to silently root for Canada to win
Your emotional descriptions were also amazing. The disbelief and sadness of the losing team are not always portrayed in a way that does them justice, so aces on this!
To leave a well rounded critique, I reread for any errors I could find... but I honestly didn't find anything wrong with this.
To put it simply, I have never given a story a rating of "100". But this one deserves it.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


Interesting....
It really does seem more like a story...

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

937 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 6, 2010
Last Updated on January 29, 2013
Tags: hockey
Previous Versions

Author

lawrence bear
lawrence bear

Fisher River, Northern Manitoba, Canada



About
Thank you for visiting my place of work, I hope you enjoy what you read. I do try my best to entertain. My imagination runs wild at times, but I love the freedom. more..

Writing
Recap Recap

A Chapter by lawrence bear


Part Thirty Part Thirty

A Chapter by lawrence bear