A Miracle?

A Miracle?

A Chapter by potato

Caroline walked discretely to the feminine hygiene section of the drug store. Pregnancy was a big deal in Greenwich, and she didn't want the whole world (what was left of it anyway) knowing that she thought she might be pregnant. She immediately spotted what she came here to find,a little pink box. Oh, and it was on sale too! (not that it wasn't always. Pregnancy was very highly encouraged.)

She walked around the store a little bit longer and picked up a few things she spotted on sale. After a few more minutes of meandering, she headed up to the register.

"Oh." The cashier said as she picked up the pregnancy test and scanned it." hoping for babies, are we?" She said in a knowing voice.

"Not really. We haven't discussed it yet, but it was on sale, so why not?" Caroline replied flatly.

The cashier looked at her smugly. "No need to hide it Missy. It's something to be proud of. Besides, they'll find out sooner or later at the monthly pregnancy exams."

Caroline was truly appalled. No one tried to hide their pregnancy from the government, did they? Why? She shook it off as she answered the cashier. "I'll have you know, I am not trying to hid it. I just don't want everyone out there to know that I was trying for children. Just in case it didn't work out."

"Oh.I see. You're a high risk, aren't you?" The cashier replied. 

Caroline blushed. "I developed Uterine cancer as a teenager. They don't know yet if I can conceive."

"Oh. What a pity. I'm sure you would have added fantastic genes to the gene pool too." The cashier said, noticing the level green card Caroline used to purchase her products with. She didn't like flashing it around like other people of her gene status, but she sure hoped she could conceive. Or else they would take her and her partner's status all they way down to a level 6. They would lose everything. She couldn't plague her partner with that.

Caroline left the drug store before she punched the cashier in the face. Get it together, Caroline.

She loaded the bag into the back of her car and hopped in the driver seat. She pulled out of the parking lot and headed home.

"Caroline!" Jeremy greeted her at the door with a hug. He knew what she was doing as soon as she said that she was heading out to the drug store that morning. She could tell that he was trying to hide his knowing excitement."I'm glad your back."

“Yeah, me too.” she sat her bags down on the counter and pulled out the little pink box.”I guess I’ll be right back.” She headed into the bathroom, locking the door behind her. Come on Caroline, you can do this. She opened the package and pulled out the test.

“Well?” Jeremy’s excited voice came through the bathroom door. The lock clicked and out stepped Caroline, holding her hands behind her back.

“Jeremy,” Her voice cracked as she held out the test, face up. “I’m pregnant.”Caroline gasped as he wrapped her in a big hug, holding her tight against him. When he finally pulled back they both had tears in their eyes.

“I can’t believe this Caroline. They said you were sterile. That we would have our levels dropped after this month’s examinations.” Jeremy looked into her face, smiling so deeply that it had to hurt.

“But,” Caroline’s face feel, the elation of this moment wearing off. “What about the stillbirths. What if both of them are stillbirths. It’s a possibility. Remember when Mereline got pregnant after they deemed her sterile? Both of her little girls were stillborn.”

“Caroline,” Jeremy reached up and caressed her face, wiping away his wife's tears. “That is not going to happen to you, to us. Besides, both of her children were marked.” He said the last word with disgust.

“I know, I know. I’m just worried. What if I can’t do this.”

“You worry too much Caroline. Everythings going to be just fine.” He grabbed her hand and pulled her along with him to the kitchen. They walked over to the phone and Jeremey dialed the number displayed on the basic info section of the touch screen. The one labeled “Expecting mothers” and waited for someone to pick up.

“Hello?” Jeremy answered when he heard someone pick up on the other end of the line. “Yes, this is Jeremy and Caroline Polley. We are asking to schedule our first examination. Yes, we are expecting.” He looked to Caroline with one of the sweetest, joy filled smiles she had ever seen. He reached out and grabbed her hand, rubbing his thumb in soothing circles over her hand, trying to work out her nerves. 

“When do I have to go in?” Caroline asked once he was done and had hung up the phone. 

“In two weeks. They said that there should be enough information by then to start the first of your series of examinations.”

“Two weeks, huh?” She looked down at her stomach. I’ve got a itty bitty baby in there. “Well, it looks like we’ve got a lot of planning to do. And a nursery to build.”

                                               6 months latter

Jeremy popped open the can of pink paint and handed Caroline a paint brush.

“I still can’t believe we’re going to have a daughter.” Caroline spoke with excitement in her voice. She had been to enough exams and training to ease all of her worries about a miscarriage or the fact that she’s going to lose one, everyone loses one. That’s why they do the few training sessions along with certain exams, to prepare mothers for the fact that the newest gene modifying drug’s main side effect was that only one of your twins would survive, it was a problem they have yet to fix.

“I know. I’m still in shock, I was sure that it was going to be a boy.” He said as he began covering the light blue walls with a fresh shade of pink.

“I told you not to start painting yet. You were the one who wouldn't listen.” She laughed as she picked up the brush and started painting the opposite wall.

“You know,” Jeremy began after a period of silence.” we still haven't settled on a name yet.”

“Yeah, I know we’ve talked about it but I don’t really know how to handle that. I mean, I know that we aren’t allowed to give them both official names, we want even really get to see the other one. BUt I still think that they should have separate names, you know?” She had stopped painting and turned to look at her husband.

“Caroline,” He said slowly, tiptoeing around such a precarious subject.” I’m not sure if that’s such a good idea.We can’t get all excited about what we both know can’t happen. I know you’ve been fantasising about it.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”she lied, whipping the nervous sweat from her hands and dipping her paint brush back in the can, trying to hide her nervousness.

“You know exactly what I’m talking about. You’ve been imagining raising both of them, haven’t you? You now how dangerous that is. You know it’s not possible.”

“I know, I know. It’s just so unfair. Thinking about the fact that one of them, one of my children, one of my little girls, our little girls, is going to die.” She looked like she was about ready to cry, rubbing her distended belly continuously.

“But there’s nothing you can do, nothing anyone can do, to change it. You just have to accept it and maybe one day they’ll find a way to stop this craziness, or at least adjust the side effects.” He walked over and wrapped his arms around her shoulders, gingerly kissing her forehead before walking toward the door.

“SO, what’s for lunch?


                                                     3 months latter

Jeremy watched as staff rushed in and out of his wife’s hospital room.He wrung his hands together, wondering what could possible be going on that would require so much attention. NO one would answer his questions. What ever was going on, it was very hush hush.

“Mr. Polley.” Jeremy stood up when the doctor approached him. “I’m Dr.Vanden. I’m going to need you to come with me.”

“My wife…”

“Is fine. SO, please, follow me.” Dr.Vanden led Jeremy down a series of winding hallways and up and elevator. The farther away from Caroline they got, the more concerned Jeremy became.

“Please, Dr. Vanden, if would,tell me what on earth is going on around here. Is my wife alright? What about our daughter? HAs something happened?” Jeremy said as they stopped outside of an office door, waiting for the doctor to open it.

“Mr.Polley, I can assure you that your wife and little girl are perfectly fine and healthy.”

“Then why am I not being lead into her room to celebrate with her and my first born child? Why are you taking me into your office?”

“Because,Mr.Polley,” He lead them into the office. “Your wife just had two children.”

“Yes, as does everyone around her.”Jeremy retorted, getting frustrated with the lack of answers.

“I don’t think you understand. Both of your children are alive, both are extraordinarily healthy.”

“What? How, how is that even possible? This is a miracle! WHy are you telling me this here? Why am I not in there with my wife and children?” He was so excited by this news that he didn’t notice the doctor pulling out a pen and some official looking documents.

“Yes, Mr.Polley, it is a medical miracle. But, I regret to inform you that she is marked. We are required to have the father sign papers declaring the marked child property of the state. It is particularly important that you do so in the fact that your daughter may be the key to saving the lives of every other child that has not been born into our world yet.” He hands Jeremy the pen. It shakes in his hand as he looks down at the paperwork, imagining what his wife must be feeling.

“How has my wife handled this information?” He asks, preparing himself to sign away his child's fate.

“SHe’s not. As far as she knows, she was like everyone else, losing her second child. And that’s all she will ever know. The only reason I’m telling you now is because this is a special case, I suggested that we simply not tell any of you, but, it is protocole, so I have to have the signature of a parent in order to have her released to our scientist. They are waiting outside the nursery to take her to transport. SHe will no longer be any of your concern after this moment.”

Jeremy gripped the pen harder as he signed his name, giving up his child to a life in a lab.


© 2017 potato


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

139 Views
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 17, 2017
Last Updated on August 17, 2017


Author

potato
potato

NC



About
I love to write,I always have. Writing has always been my escape to my own little world and out of the terrifying one I was living in. I love to write fiction,but with some true stories of my life and.. more..

Writing
Mia Mia

A Poem by potato


The Ocean The Ocean

A Poem by potato


16 years latter 16 years latter

A Chapter by potato