I am a Stick

I am a Stick

A Story by youngandfree

A smile is sewn to my face as they mock me. I laugh along with them, they think I don’t care. If only they could see that I’m not laughing inside... I’m screaming, but the scream never manages to escape my lips.

“Stick.”

That’s what they call me. My friends, my family... I rarely hear my name from them. There is only one person who seems to remember that I have a name. I love to watch his lips shape my name...

“Anna...” he says. It’s a beautiful sound, it’s the shortest, sweetest melody. It floats to my ears and makes me feel human... It reminds me of my mother, how she used to sing my name. That was before she ran away, leaving me with six siblings and from that day on I never heard her sing my name again.

I'm Anna Black, and I am a stick.

© 2013 youngandfree


Author's Note

youngandfree
I rewrote it. Is this any better? I hope it's not worse... I know it's very short but I want to get more feedback before I carry on writing it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

It is short. But it has meaning to it and that's what short stories should always have.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I really don't think this as bad as you seem to think, Anna ! You have expressed your frustration and feelings very well. The format of your writing is good also. The few little tweeks, if there are indeed any necessary, would be minor ones. I particularly like the way you end it, with a simple, very concise, statement that has alot of meaning in it. Overall, aside from the sadness of the situations you identify in here, I think it is a very nice writing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


youngandfree

11 Years Ago

Thank you!
KurKota

11 Years Ago

You are welcome, Anna
I don't think it's necessarily all that bad. I wish you'd expanded on it more and your tone is just a little too matter-of-fact for my tastes, but you've come across as very casual and on-topic, which is good, but with a slight undercurrent of seriousness. I'd really like to see this as a longer piece, as I think there's a lot of directions you can go with what you have.

Posted 11 Years Ago


youngandfree

11 Years Ago

You're right about the tone, I don't really think it shows the emotion I wanted it to... I think I'm.. read more
youngandfree

11 Years Ago

Thanks for the feedback:)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

97 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 9, 2013
Last Updated on March 9, 2013

Author

youngandfree
youngandfree

United Kingdom



About
I'm a young teenage writer. more..