Dance

Dance

A Story by yuriko
"

With natural talent and passion Rowan is an amazing dancer. But when she is assigned a choreograph project with the one person she can't stand will she be able to put differences aside for the routine

"

Dancing: the vertical expression of a horizontal desire legalized by music.           ~George Bernard Shaw


“He is completely intolerable,” I whined. 

“He is completely intolerably hot,” Rory said.

“He is a pig,” I countered. 

“He is the best looking pig I have ever seen,” Tallulah quipped. 

I stopped and looked at both of my friends. We had been walking to the Wonderland Arts Center where we practiced. They wore matching knowing grins. 

“Seriously you guys are not helping. He is literally going to be the death of me,” I said. Maybe I was being too dramatic but I was not going to admit it. 

“Rowan you realize he isn’t Voldemort and you can say his name,” Tallulah said. I started to walk again trying my best to ignore her. “Ian is defiantly not going to be the death of you.” 

“With all of your worrying you might be the death of you,” Rory could barely contain her laughter as she spoke. 

“Out of all the people to be picked as my dance partner why does it have to be Ian Wate? He is probably going to tell me how wrong I am and to just follow his perfect lead.” I ranted.

“Just because everyone bows down at his hotness doesn’t mean he is an actual jerk. Last time I had desk duty he said ‘Hey’ and winked,” Rory said, even dropping her voice to imitate his. 

“How chivalrous of him for winking. Last time I saw him wink was when I was letting my junior ballet class out and I saw him shamelessly taking one of the mom’s numbers,” I said feeling I proved my point. 

By now we had finally reached the arts center. Tallulah held the door open for Rory and me. “That was Beth Gardener. She gives anything with a pulse her number.” 

I groaned and rolled my eyes. “Please don’t remind me.” 

We waved to Reese Wonderland Art Center’s owner who sat at the desk with the phone receiver to her ear. She was my dance instructor and the reason for my current misery. I made a face at Reese as we headed to the back locker room. She knew exactly why and only shooed me with a wave of her hand. 

“Why is no one taking this as seriously as I am?” I could hear myself sounding like a child but Couldn’t bring myself to be rational.

“You are getting a chance to be partners with someone who is not only at your level of dance but just so happens to be drop dead gorgeous,” Tallulah tried reasoning, “Other than you he is the only one in the whole dance company who has been dancing since they were in diapers.”

Rory tried to emphasize Tallulah’s point. “I mean drop dead gorgeous does not even explain that boy,” She mocked fanned herself. 

We began settling our things in to our respective lockers and changing. Wonderland Arts Center was huge and catered to more than just dancers. Since we were older and considered ‘gifted’ in our talents we instructed classes at the center to younger children. Tallulah was a painter and was changing her stylish silk top for a smock splattered with paint. Rory was an athletic swimmer, and worked not only with the pool but also with the gym. She was pulling off her tank top only to have a plain black swim suit underneath. I of course was a dancer and swapped my jeans and sweater for a pair of spandex shorts and a long sleeve crop top. My sneakers where even traded out for a pair of jazz slippers. 

“I really don’t want to go in there.” 

Tallulah, who was done with my whining, grabbed my cheeks and squished them together. She only ever did this when she was trying to talk sense in Rory or me. “This weird fear obsession that you with Ian is literally irrational. It is based off of a few incidences that have yet to be completely explained.” Rory poked Tallulah in the ribs trying to gain her attention. “Hold on Rory. Ian is more than likely just a normal guy that isn’t some man whorering jerk that you have made him out to be.” Rory cleared her throat dramatically. Tallulah only continued. “If anything you are intimidated by him. You are only intimidated by guys you have major crushes on.” 

“Rowan O’Connor intimidated by someone; highly unlikely,” A deep voice laughed from behind us, “Unless of course you guys are talking about me. Then the crush part would defiantly make sense.” I didn’t have to turn around to know who it was. For the last year I have heard it every day in the dance studio. Ian Wate had just walked in only to hear that I was not only intimidated him but had a crush. Now that I thought about it that was not completely false but I didn’t want him to know.

A deep burning blush spread from my cheeks. In my panic I had forgotten that the locker room was unisex, given it was only for the staff like us. Rory didn’t even make an attempt to try and save me. She mumbled something about having to clean a diving board and nearly ran out. Tallulah was no better she didn’t have an excuse and just darted out after her. What was worst, I could hear their cackling from the hallway. 

Ian was obviously all too amused. And as soon as I saw that cocky smirk of his I forgot about being embarrassed. “Of course she wasn’t talking about you. What is there to be intimidated by?” I tried to scoff but it sounded more like a snort and my cheeks only got redder.

“So who is this guy that you are intimidated by. Do I know him,” He said coolly. Ian began to just change at his locker. I had never noticed that his was only a few down from mine. We never were in the locker room at the same time like this. Any time before this I always left as soon as I saw him. 

“Can you stop using the word intimidate? How about we just drop the whole topic all together?” I truly didn’t mean to sound hostile but Ian was currently pulling off his sweatshirt that had took most of his t-shirt up his torso. My nerves were in a flustered array. 

“So should I say crush instead.”

“How about instead of my love life,” or lack thereof, I thought, “We discuss this dance we are supposed to choreograph and present by Friday. That only gives us three days.”

He seemed a little disappointed that I changed the subject. I passed it off as just wanting to know who we were talking about before he came in. “We have all day to work. That’s more than enough time to practice…” He trail off on his words mid-sentence. Suddenly he turned to me. Then just a quickly I was pinned against the lockers with Ian’s arms on either side of my head.  His face was only inches from mine. “Among other things.” He finished in a hushed purr. 

I bolted. When I was out in the hallway I hadn’t noticed that I’d been holding my breath. I all but ran to the studio and didn’t look back until the door was closed. If I was lucky I would have a solid five minutes to gain back my sanity.

Not even two minutes passed before the door creaked open. Ian’s large fame slipped in quietly. I made sure to have my back to the door pretending to be hooking up my phone to the speaker.

“Rowan O’Connor,” He said, like he was testing the temperament of a lion, “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to make you uncomfortable. I was just kidding.” 

If I turned around right now I knew I would accept his apology. But instead I kept my back to him and said, “Let’s get started.” 

The next two hours we worked nonstop. We only spoke when needed and never did the conversation deviate from dance. We weren’t actually making progress. The tension of walking on egg shells had us both frustrated. The only requirement that was given for the assignment was for the dance to be passionate. Between Ian and me that was defiantly not what was being portrayed. Two people moving coordinately next to each other maybe but not passion. I also was feeling guilty. I didn’t have to be so uptight with him but there was no other way I could act when I was so close to him.  

“Hey can we stop. I’m not to feeling this.” Ian walked over to the speaker and paused the music. “I don’t think we are dancing together.” He waved his hand between us to emphasize. 

“Yeah it’s my fault,” I admitted quietly. Without the music on the room was blaring with silence. “I shouldn’t have freaked like that.” 

“Now I understand why you hate me.” 

I plopped down on the floor in exhaustion. “I don’t hate you, contrary to how I’ve acted.” 

Ian came back to me and sat across from me. “Huh, I never would have guessed with you on the other side of the room.” He cracked a smile.

I couldn’t help but laugh because he was right. “I bet Reese will give our ‘passion’ a negative three.” 

He laughed this time. “I know how we can fix the whole passion issue.” I raised a questioning eyebrow. “No nothing like that. I promise I was just going to suggest we get to know each other, like actually talk.” 

“And how do you suppose we do that?” I asked. 

“Simple you ask me a question then I ask you a question. We’ll just go back and forth. But we can only pass on one question.” There was challenging sparkle in his eye and it only made me want to play whatever game he was setting up.  

“I feel like I’m at a sleep over.” I said 

“So is that a yes?” He wiggled his eyebrows. 

“Yes, I will, but we have to eventually get bak to the dance.” 

He pumped his fist in the air. “All right. Ladies first.”

Immediately I knew what to ask. “Why do you always use my full name?”

Ian’s eyes went wide. “You don’t remember,” I shook my head oblivious to what he was talking about, “It was like a year ago when I first joined the dance company. I forget exactly what I why I was trying to get your attention but I said ‘Aye Mami.’ Not context, solely because I didn’t know your name, all I wanted to do was get your attention. But you whipped around, that blonde ponytail flying around, you marched right up to me, all five feet and three of you and said,” He paused and clear is throat so he could raise his voice an octave higher, “I am not your Mami. I am Rowan O’Connor, you will call me nothing but the name my mother gave me.’ SO I never called you anything else.” 

I had tears running down my face from laughing so hard by the time he was done. “Oh my gosh I remember now.” I was wheezing trying to catch my breath. “You just shouted it across the room. I had every right to be mad.” 

“Fine, I give you that but it’s my turn now,” Ian paused for a moment like he had to think about it but I knew exactly what he was going to ask. “Who were you talking about in the locker room with-“ 

“Pass,” I said before he could finish. 

Ian shrugged, “It was worth a try,” he put his hands up in surrender, “What about you’re guilty pleasure song? Is that answerable?” 

“And even if it wasn’t I already gave up my pass,” I said. Ian was not entertained with my stalling. “Fine it’s Boyfriend by Justin Bieber. But not the original one the slow acoustic version.” 

Ian shot up and rushed over to the stereo. “Now we are getting somewhere. Let’s change the song. Something slower. I wanted to say something earlier but I thought you would eat me alive.” 

“Hey we are past that. I won’t eat you, now.” The song came on and Ian turned back to me. Ian nearly skipped back to me and pulled me up to my feet. I hadn’t noticed until I was to my feet that I started to move with the song. 

“There ya’ go,” Ian encouraged, “I’ve seen you dance, you’re a ballerina at heart. Slow music is your forte’.”  

I punch Ian in the arm. “You’ve seen me practice outside of class. Like in my own private studio time.”

“It wasn’t anything creepy. Walking by one, I heard this sad slow classical song night. I thought I was the only one here and I just peeked.” 

“Just shut up and dance.” 

The dance started off simple first with the rolling of our shoulders. Then I added foot work that coordinated with whole body movements. The best part was how we were laughing the whole time. And of course Ian had his own hip-hop influence where he had me moving my hips to the beat. We were sweating by the time we took our next break hours later. I shed my t-shirt and opted for my sports bra. Ian stripped off his shirt revealing a tribal tattoo across his shoulder. 

I kept thinking of what Tallulah said to me. The more time I spent with Ian the bigger my ‘crush’ got. But I wasn’t intimidated by him, I was nervous. I was never angry at him just scared to admit that I might be interested with something other than to dance.

“We are way better, but we are missing the passion. We need to come together more them just that one time we circle around.” Ian talked from behind his water bottle, in-between gulps. 

I nodded, trying to make in less obvious that I was staring at his toned chest. “Like when?” The crack in my voice might have given me away.

He came back to the middle of the floor and to his mark. “Start from the beginning and follow me.” I did as he said and watched closely. At the third eight count he dropped to the floor. I did the same waiting for his que to get back up but instead Ian rolled on top of me. It lasted for merely a second before he was pulling me back up. I was in shock and had to scramble to get back in to time. The second time was less unexpected. I came around in a half turn and Ian pulled us together. My heart was hammering. With the grace of a ballroom dancer he spun me so my back was too him. From there we continued the dance as planned before. When the song stopped I couldn’t breathe and butterflies threatened to flutter out of my stomach.

“How was that?” Ian panted just as breathless as me.

“Great, but I think we need to practice a lot more.” He smiled and queued up the music. We didn’t leave the art center until it was closing a dark out. 

***

Friday had come way too quickly. Although Ian and I practiced in any free time we had I was still jittery. 

Ian sat next to me holding my small hand in his big on. “Chill out Rowan O’Connor. We got this. Our dance is the best and you know it. We can be anymore ready then we are right now. Hell we even coordinate.” It was actually Ian’s idea

“Know. This isn’t even for a competition.” I leaned my head on his shoulder. In the last seventy-two hours Ian had become an actual friend, maybe even closer. Rory called us a ‘flirtship,’ where we would talk and laugh like friends but flirted like in a couple, although neither Ian nor I would admit to anything close to romance, just yet. Tallulah of course just told me to make him my boyfriend and get it over with.

The last pair finished their dance with a bow. Reese stepped back in to the middle of the floor. “That was great guys, I’m giving it a solid eight. You guys flowed well but there were a few obvious mistakes.” She gave them one last round of applause, then looked down at the clip board in her hands. “Now we only have on last couple,” every snickered and eyed Ian and I in the corner in complete notice of the recent change toward each other. “Rowan and Ian are up next.”

Ian had to drag me up to the middle. Ian nodded to whoever was manning the stereo at the moment. I stood on my mark and counted down the beat. Reese took an observing spot with the rest of the class. In the second before we started I caught Ian’s eye; he shot a smirk at me. Then like a fire work the dance exploded. Ian was right beside the entire time. And when we came to get it didn’t freeze up. It felt natural to have him close now. There was whistles when we were on the floor. Any other time I would freak out but I kept going. In that moment it felt like we were the only two people in the room. But just like that it was over. Ian pulled me to him one last time and the room cheered. We were both panting a tired. Reality rushed back. Still everyone was standing now clapping. In the corner of my eye I could see Tallulah and Rory cheering in the window. 

There wasn’t much else after that Reese gave us a ten and the class was over. Slowly everyone filed out but I stayed back. Without looking I knew that Ian had too. 

“You were amazing Rowan O’Connor.”

I smiled to myself. “Maybe just a little.” I had to keep my back to him to hide the hot blush raising on my cheek. 

“Before I lose my nerve I just need to ask you two questions.” I froze. There could be a million things that he could ask me. One for example could be to never talk to him again and just revert back to how we were before. And like had Ian read my mind, “Is this just a thing to get through the dance? Like are we going to go back to pretending the other doesn’t exist? I could barely do that before and now I know I defiantly won’t be able to do that now.” 

Surprised by his outburst I turned to face him. “That was more than two question?” He didn’t seem to take comfort in my humor. “I’m pretty sure even if we did no one with in a fifty mile radius would allow us.” 

Ian laughed, “Good. Because that case of horrible mouth diarrhea all counted as one question. Depending on your answer I would have just high tailed out of here…” He paused then laughed again, this time nervously, “Do you want to go to dinner or something. It doesn’t have to be a date just like a celebratory thing for today-“ 

I had to rush over to Ian to finally get him to stop working himself up. Wrapping my arms around his middle I looked up at the tall dark haired boy that had infuriated me for the last year and said “Yes, but only if it’s a date. 

There were a second set of cheers from the other side of the window. Not only were Rory and Tallulah hooting but they were joined by Reese. 

Ian turned fifty shades of red, burying his face in my hair. “It’s a date Rowan O’Connor.”

© 2020 yuriko


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

20 Views
Added on May 15, 2020
Last Updated on May 15, 2020
Tags: romance, teen, young adult, comedy

Author

yuriko
yuriko

FL



About
Hello Everyone i just love being creative. love writing and reading stories. I will write more about myself in the future more..

Writing
Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by yuriko