Experiences Today

Experiences Today

A Story by Dark Angel
"

How far racism has come.

"

I'm sorry. Truly, I am. I'm sorry for what my ancestors did. Whatever they did to your ancestors, I'm sorry mine were the cause of their pain. Even though I did not harm you or your family, I am sorry for what my lack of color has done to you. I'm sorry my skin is not the dark creamy brown or the soft ivory black you are accustomed to.

 

My face reddens with shame, while yours is distorted with hate. I'm sorry for whatever I have done to cause such a beautiful face to turn so ugly. My stomcah turns at just the thought of what your ancestors went through at the hands of mine.

 

The guilt--the shame-- I feel for the cruelties my skin color protrays may not be justifified for what if I am only partly white? What if I am not white in ancestry but only now? What if the Irish blood in me is more than the white American? Or what if the Spanish is more, or the Native American is more? What if even the black in me is more? Did you not think about that? Did you not think of my own blood line? Did you only see the color before you and judge? Did you only see the strawberry blonde hair and blue eyes?  Did you not think that maybe my white ancestors helped yours to freedom? Saw yours as the equals they should have been? Maybe not, but that doesn't matter now for the damage is done. I fear your color now for the pain and suffering "your people" have caused me.

 

No, not just the looks they gave me but their abusive actions toward me gives me the right to hate you for your color because my pain is new and fresh. You did not suffer what your ancestors did but I suffer for what mine did to yours. You may say it's justified; that the rope around my neck in middle school was payback for the rope around your ancestors' necks; that the bat on my back substituted for the whip on your ancestors' backs. But why make me suffer when you do not suffer? Why continue this vicious cycle? Why condemn me for something I did not do? Why am I less equal because I am white?

© 2010 Dark Angel


Author's Note

Dark Angel
Comment only if you can be mature about this and not create drama. If anything vulgar is stated (language and threats), it will be deleted. Your thoughts are welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

The funny part about racism is the North(USA) never had slavery. It was mainly in the south. Slavery was still active in England in the 1900. I'm Native American/Mexican and I believe too late for revenge or hate. Martin Luther King and many others have died for us to walk together and allow the story of slavery to become a story of the past to remind us of deeds of another time. People who use race and color for a defense. Are leaning on great people who wanted all kids to have a fair and good chance at life. I like this story. Thank you.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wow, powerful. I lived in the ghetto in Jacksonville, Florida and was only one of two white families to live on my block. It was interesting. I was discriminated against, and it was not pleasant. I made friends with the guy next door who just got out of the federal pen. We spoke often about racial problems. People are damned ignorant, it does not matter what color. To hate someone because of their color is ridiculous, as it is to hate any individual person for a group they are associated with just because of the characteristics they were born with.
"White" people are becoming the lesser class in America, and the constant ridicule and hate they face is awful. imagine if someone started a "White male club" What would happen? What would happen if someone started a White Woman club?" Yet we have Black only clubs. My point is that it is all stupid, but it's beyond that. It's dangerous, and I agree with your essay.

On a side note, there are a few grammatical errors.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I wrote this because race seems to be a major issue and because it's impossible for a person with dark skin to be racist to a person with light skin. Racism is seen only one way: Whites against Darker. It's never seen as Whites against Darker OR Darker against Whites. This is one sided, Michael, because I am only one person and can only go off my own experiences. It's written to be hectic, it's the thought process. Thoughts stream chaotically and are never really to the point but a point is made nevertheless. ^_^

Posted 13 Years Ago


Dark much? (no pun intended). Something bad happen? Interesting, though. I thought the overall idea is nice, but it seems a bit one-sided. But that's just me. It's a little confusing though, but that's just cuz it seems a little hectic. Maybe it's just my brain being weird lol Overall, I liked it, despite its theme :-)

Posted 13 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

1- grammar and spelling need revision
2- I like your line of thoughts but I don't understand it.. are you now racist because of the pain they put you through? do you hate dark people now?
3- I think the writing style needs enhancement, practice more writing

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

363 Views
5 Reviews
Added on October 17, 2010
Last Updated on October 18, 2010

Author

Dark Angel
Dark Angel

Invisible, FL



About
Time to do another biography. I'm now 25 years old with a wonderful son. I still love writing but it has been a long time since I've had the ability, muse, and time of day to write lol. Between helpin.. more..

Writing