Some Writing Prompts
A Lesson by Laura Maidah
You can even submit them. PM me with an attachment. I'll post a few as examples if they're good.
Some writing prompts
- After completing a solo camping trip, a woman gets her film developed and discovers that several photos are of her … sleeping. (From 1,001 Prompts)
- “That was the moment I wished I could remember what we’d been taught.” (from How to Write Fiction)
- “She’s been told.” (from How to Write Fiction)
- “When a man knows he is to be hanged in a fortnight, it concentrates his mind wonderfully.” (Samuel Johnson)
- A man sneezes painfully. He looks into his handkerchief and finds something that looks like a microchip. (From 1,001 Prompts)
- “The place is very well and quiet and the children scream only in a low voice.” (Byron)
Pick one of the prompts now – you can afford ten minutes – grab that blank page, and go!
The following are twenty writing prompts that you could use to spark your imagination. If you want to use one, don’t worry about where the ideas take you or whether what you’ve written is “good”. The point is just to get into the flow of writing. You can come back later and polish if you wish to.
- It was the first snowfall of the year.
- He hadn’t seen her since the day they left High School.
- The city burned, fire lighting up the night sky.
- She studied her face in the mirror.
- The smell of freshly-cut grass.
- They came back every year to lay flowers at the spot.
- The streets were deserted. Where was everyone? Where had they all gone?
- This time her boss had gone too far.
- Red eyes.
- Stars blazed in the night sky.
- He woke to birdsong.
- ‘Shh! Hear that?’ ‘I didn’t hear anything.’
- He’d always hated speaking in public.
- She woke, shivering, in the dark of the night.
- The garden was overgrown now.
- He’d never noticed a door there before.
- She’d have to hitch a ride home.
- ‘I told him not to come back too!’
- His feet were already numb. He should have listened.
Added on June 24, 2012
Last Updated on June 24, 2012