Book Discussions : Forum : No Longer Human By Osamu Dazai

No Longer Human By Osamu Dazai

9 Years Ago

It's an eastern piece, but I recommend it for it's easy to read handle. The tone is a bit dark because of the questions and issues that the protagonist deals with. Such as what makes an individual an individual, what is society, alcohol, drugs, and abuse are in this story as well. The latter is more implied than the first though. But, it's still interesting to watch the Character deconstruct and destroy himself with theses things. 

Yet, it's important to note that he doesn't just do it for the sake of being idle. It's more like watching a child who shows intelligence, yet is too naive to understand himself become taken in by the dark. I totally recommend this book for anyone who has had a time in their life where they felt like they didn't fit, or desire to fit into society.

I know it may be a bit much at this point, but here is the synopsis:
You have a young, upper class child, who is taken advantage of by the household staff and family. He Has lived for the sake basically of pleasing others; however, because of this he fears people loathing him. Thus, he goes to portray himself as the diligent son, student, and clown. throughout the book, it goes on about wearing a facade both by the individual and by the people in his lives. I mean, his father is a politician and has always been presented as one of power and a great image. Yet, little Yozo hears some Campaign attendees bad mouth his father after having a "pleasant conversation."
Yozo then develops his clown persona a means to avoiding scrutiny. And even though he now manages to still be the good son with a sense of humor, What happens when he is found out? Well, when one of his less than charming classmates finds out, he begins to leave that Good politician, child image. He decides to pursue a career of painting as his classmate introduced him to the hidden turmoils of other artists. Nonetheless, His father will not have any of that. thereupon, leaving the sheltered life as an adult does he encounters the instability within the world. This is all withing the backdrop of World War II and a little before that. I like how Yozo conducts himself in order to pursue art. It's as though he literally sells himself to the devil to make his dream realized. Self-destruction, and lack of autonomy. It takes the eyes of a naive classmate, a child, and his ailing body to realize what it means to be human. This provides a good contrast with the stark adult world and the Idealized notions that foisted on him.

I strongly recommend it if you don't like complex sentence structures, and thick books, yet seek some sort of Psychological thrill.

Re: No Longer Human By Osamu Dazai

9 Years Ago

This book sounds quite interesting. Do you know where i could find it? I'd like to give it a read. Also, do you know of any other books like this one? Im trying to go into unfamiliar territory with books and read out of my comfort zone. Im usually reading fantasy, paranormal, and romance novels and i really want to find some other genres to look into because i feel i will find something inspirational and great.

9 Years Ago

Mikayla, I have a couple of books that are definitely outside the comfort zone, and they're posted here on the cafe if you'd like to check them out. One is "Cliff and Liz," a love story about an extremely dysfunctional young man meeting a girl who becomes his very first friend. The other is "The Cult," a horror story far too grisly to ever see publication, but I'm having fun writing it, and almost done. :)

9 Years Ago

hello Mikayla, 
Thanks for taking an interest in my thread. If you wish to find that book, I recommend checking in barnes and noble. But, I'm sure they would have it on amazon as well. Yet, the thing is with this book you have to order online, as they don't really sell it in the stores. It's not really that expensive though. I've seen it sold for used at $3.97 and new from Barnes and Noble for 10.97. it's just not sold on shelves, I guess because it's not well known. But, I still would recommend it.

another book that I would recommend is I am a cat by Natsumi soseiki. He was one of the spear heads behind a new literature movement in japan. But, the book is about a cat that observes society. watching different class systems and their faults and meditating on it. I haven't read it yet, but I think it sounds great. Another thing to go for would probably be Stephen King. He's an american author, but well known for his horror genre. a good read if you want to be outside your comfort zone.

Any way, thank so much for responding to my post, I don't meet to many people who care for eastern lit. So, your response makes me exceedingly happy. I wish to luck in finding a new read, even if you don't go with eastern lit, I hope for the best.

Songstress

p.s. sorry for the horrid grammar, and punctuation.