Bookers : Forum : Paranormal, Science Fiction, F..

[reply] [quote]

Paranormal, Science Fiction, Fantasy contest

13 Years Ago

Hello Bookers!
Well I must tell you a future reference... There will be a contest. The contest is for Paranormal/Science Fiction/Fantasy writers. It will be later this month, or next month in March.

The winner will be featured writer,  their book will be advertise in different websites (only by me, and only with a few websites), and a few people, including myself, will edit your book if you want to. The last part is optional. Second place winners will also have a team editing your book, and you will also be advertised in a website. Third place winners will only be able to have their book edited.

Websites are other writing website, such as this, and on other social websites. You may choose where you want it to be advertised, and I will try to make exceptions.

Editing will be by myself, and my fellow writer friends online and at school. We will try our best! If you do not wish to have your book edited, that is fine. The editing will take time, so you must be patient!

To enter the contest the book must have at least five chapters. A complete book is acceptable. You must enter only one book, so choose your best! It does not have to be the best editing, but there must not have crazy grammar problems, too many misspelling, punctuation problems, and blobs of sentences, instead of paragraphs. These are not allowed. Again the genres are paranormal, science fiction, and fantasy, including vampires, robots, fairies, and all that stuff.

Please try to be original. Includes the title, characters, setting, plot, and names. Fan-Fiction is not allowed. As I said, be ORIGINAL!

Thanks so much for reading, and I hope you enter! You may reply with any questions, comments, or any thoughts what so ever.

Moderator,
Sami

[reply] [quote]

Re: Paranormal, Science Fiction, Fantasy contest

13 Years Ago

Sounds like a very good deal. I'm looking forward to getting involved with this group. :)
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

Is the publicity/advertising optional, too?   I really like your rules for what can be - and can't be -  entered in this contest.  
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

Yeah, of course! I know some people feel the need not to be too out there, so I won't push you to show off your work.

Glad you guys like the idea, and if you have an idea of your own, feel free to tell the group!

Moderator,
Sami

[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

When you say original, what do you mean by that?
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

Originally posted by ☪ℒizzard✞
When you say original, what do you mean by that?

I mean make up your own rules! Like for vampires, you can make them the bad guys and the werewolves good. Also the names be different. Be Unique!

[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

Ooh, so excited. Really glad this group exists cause I feel the same way.
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

I would have thought that "original" simply meant "no fan fiction," just like it says in the rules - it can't use someone else's setting or characters.
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

Originally posted by Weaver
I would have thought that "original" simply meant "no fan fiction," just like it says in the rules - it can't use someone else's setting or characters.

It is part of it. It's simply making up your own rules instead of copying some other's idea.
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

ummm... so... my book 'Burningdoesn't have any of the usual science fiction characters or anything, but its placed in the future so its technically sci-fi, also because it has future tech and stuff... its also kind of paranormal because ther are different universes and beings from the universe......   But the main point of the book is sci-fi or anything. so does this count?
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

Hope everyone reads the books that are in the group! :)

My favorite book that I have read so far would have to be Unlikely Love by Keilan :) She has a new book that will be better called An Unknown Experiment. 

Plus, I really hope everyone reads Frightened Night and Broken, Alone Tonight. (Must read Frightened Night first though.) :P
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

Originally posted by FairyBlue
ummm... so... my book 'Burningdoesn't have any of the usual science fiction characters or anything, but its placed in the future so its technically sci-fi, also because it has future tech and stuff... its also kind of paranormal because ther are different universes and beings from the universe......   But the main point of the book is sci-fi or anything. so does this count?

What is a "usual science fiction character"?    Generally, any story set in the future is considered sci-fi (except for stuff written by "literary" types who insist that their work isn't science fiction because it has Literary Merit).  Same thing goes for a story that has high tech that doesn't exist yet; if it's close to reality, it MAY be a techno-thriller instead, but the line is blurry and more a matter of publisher choice than anything else.   I suppose alternate universes can be "paranormal" - depends on how you handle the subject, IMO.  Alternate universes can also be sci-fi at its hardest, or traditional fantasy, or anything in between.