Carol Corliss Pastel Group Fine Art : Forum : Carol Corliss Pastel Group Fin..

Carol Corliss Pastel Group Fine Art, Artist Information

10 Years Ago

Spofford, NH artist Carol Corliss ' love of nature combined with the beauty of our natural surrounding is a constant inspiration for her pastel paintings. 

NH artist Carol Corliss has always had some form of artistic expression in her life .Her love of art started in primary school and while life's demands pushed in many directions, art in many forms has been a constant in her life. Through her adult life, she ventured into ceramics, owning her own shop and teaching classes, gardening, cake decorating, chair caning, knitting, porcelain dolls, needlepoints, quilting, sewing, woodworking, and cooking along with many others-anything with her hands. None of these quite fulfilled her artistic sensibility until 2001 she discovered pastels and was drawn to the vibrant colors, getting her finger in touch with buttery-soft pastel sticks and what they can be made to do. She is a member of the Pastel Society of New Hampshire, Vermont Pastel Society and member and past treasurer of the both the Monadnock Area Artist Association and Saxtons River Art Guild. She is also is co-founder of the Valley Artisan Tour. Carol works at her studios in Spofford and exhibits throughout New England. Her work can be found in private collection from the Northeast to Florida and also on her website: www.carolcorlissfineart.com 

Artist statement 

"Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paint his own nature into his pictures".-Henry Ward Beecher 

"I love to paint, because I paint what I love" 

I completed a few paintings before I realized how important this was to me. If I don't have a connection to subject matter, my heart isn't in it .I remember my very first painting in an art class. The teacher chose a subject I would not have chosen. To this day that painting still sits unfinished as a reminder to me that I need a link to the subject. When there is that special connection, the painting almost paints itself. Capturing that true sense of time and place, my art is primarily inspired by the magnificent scenery and abundant wildlife that surrounds us here in New England with occasional scene from my travel. I see